Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Victoria window question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Brom, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Brom

Brom

After installing the bear claw latches and 32 door handles I have begun the install for the "vintique" bailey channel and rubbers.
    Question. The bailey channel on the outer edge seems to interfere with the door handle and will not sit square to what I assume to be the correct position. It has the holes and grooves to place the channel but needs to bend over the handle making the channel flex inwards maybe a half inch. What am I missing? Have I done something wrong on install of bear claws and handles?
    Photos of my issue attached. This is for both doors.

Attached Files:

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

the stock latch is designed to clear the widow channel.
    Shoulda' rebuilt the stock latches .

kidcampbell71 and WiredSpider like this.
  3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yep, you got a problem there. That handle shaft is right in the way of your window and is gonna have to come out. Maybe you can cut the shaft short, install some kind of arm on it that connects to a rod, then have the rod drop down below the window, and then go back up on the other side of the glass to an arm on the latch.

Or pull out that bear claw and put stock 32's back in.....

4. Brom

Brom

Yes but I live in Australia and must have rotary latches to pass registration mate. All good in theory but any suggestions?

5. Brom

Brom

A genius figured out that the company that I purchased them from supplied me with the wrong kit. After photos and emails and lots of discussions with the company they still sent the kit for a different idea. Once i showed them the photos they said I could now purchase the real set up from them. That was nice of them. I went to them as they are the experts.
    Guess i have a whole heap more work in front of me to get this sorted. Good thing is my window rubber and bailey channel kit will now work perfect.

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Really? You aren't allowed to use the latches that came factory with the car? Does this mean that all old cars must be changed to rotary latches?

7. I've seen these kits installed in model A's, they usually get put way down to just below the bottom of the glass channel. The window is almost as wide as the door, so, if you want to actually roll the window up & down, the latch assembly should be moved. I've been thinking about putting those in my tudor, but i have to get the door to line up correctly first

8. Yep Australia and New Zealand must have bear claw style latches. I have fitted them from anything to Model A’s to ‘32’s and what you need to do is use a part of the original latch mechanism to operate the new catches - this way you can make it clear the window channels etc

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.