Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Holy Grail find, Tom Beatty blown olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Jun 27, 2019.

1. titus

titus

Ive actaully always wondered that myself, i believe it started out being done on flatheads by barney navarro or Tom Cobb and was to gain some clearance for upper hoses etc etc, Tom was buddies with Barney so im assuming he just carried it over from that, i dont feel it was for weight savings as its very little weight that gets removed.

jeff

loudbang likes this.
  2. Holy Batman.......

loudbang likes this.
  3. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

How does the blower bolt to the manifold???

Dago 88 and loudbang like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

Countersunk screws fasten the blower case to the manifold, but that takes some precision machining. Look at how the Beatty manifold is threaded for the blower. That bolt pattern has to be very accurately transferred to the pruned case and then the inside of the case has to be counterbored for the screw heads to clear the rotors. The counterbores are done by back-facing, a shank goes into a hole and a cutter is put on the shank to cut the bore for the screw head, this operation is done from the outside, in. The inlet side of the case will be in the way of the tool so it has to be done that way. Finally, with the case bolted down the blower is assembled.
    Naturally it is important that the manifold and case bolt patterns be exactly in line with the crankshaft so the belts stay on and have good reliability.
    Machinists BITD using levers and dials, pre- CNC, were highly skilled and creative to achieve what they wanted and or needed.

550Coupe, Dago 88, bowie and 2 others like this.
  5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Heres my stuff for my dragster with a 427 Olds motor ( 1/2" stroke x 4.030 bore)
    100_2587.JPG 100_2332.JPG

Attached Files:

Dean Lowe, loudbang, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome find Titus!!! Great work of getting the engine too and keeping the setup together.
    Would look great in a drag Coupe or perhaps a street/strip, heavily channeled A coupe, pie crust slicks, etc.
    You'll have to buy belts by the case, wholesale to keep from going broke.

loudbang and classiccarjack like this.
  7. Pete Robinson ran pruned blowers. He was a fanatic for saving weight.

Cliff Ramsdell and loudbang like this.
  8. showrod

showrod

great find! Glad to see parts like this go to the right guy who will do it justice. !!

loudbang and continentaljohn like this.
  9. Olds' Gold!
    Congrats on a great purchase.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Tom had his shop on Glenoaks Blvd in Sun Valley for many years, near where I live, He ran that blown Olds setup in his 40 Delux sedan delivery for several years, look at the carbs in the Tank pict the carbs are trimmed to clear the hood of his 40 Ford sedan delivery. He wasn't much on shooting the breeze but I'd try anyway, once he knew you wern't buying some he'd keep working and give you the "I'd wish you'd leave" look. He did shorten a couple of driveshafts for me and did a nice job on them. You got yourself some great stuff. JW

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

loudbang likes this.
  12. Wow! Awesome find!

loudbang likes this.