Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage WISCONSIN FENDERLESS HOT RODS & WISDOT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jul 1, 2019.

1. The ticketing of fenderless hot rods by Wisconsin State Patrol has now become a way to suspend the hot rod's registration.

Although the tickets for no hood and fenders on the 32 Ford were dismissed by the Court on May 17, 2019 the Court indicated that continued driving of the 32 could result in more citations. The Court stated the dismissal was based on the requirement for a WSP inspection of the 32 Ford. The Court's and WSP's joint co-operation is obvious.

The inspection has been done and the 32 failed due to no fenders, hood, bumpers, wiper, washer fluid, defroster and rearview mirror.

The registration (license plates) were suspended and the 32 can not be driven legally on the Wisconsin roads.

The 32 was purchased out of state. WSP did not approve of the VIN and tag as present on the 32. WISDMV will issue a Wisconsin assigned 17 digit VIN after the 32 passes the next WSP inspection.

This is the second time WSP has used a no fender citation to force WISDMV to suspend a hot rods registration. A WSP inspection is mandatory after the registration suspension which WSP will fail the hot rod for no fenders etc.

Wisconsin State Statute and Code states

Trans 305.22 Fenders and projecting parts.
    (1) Every motor vehicle originally manufactured after January 1, 1950, every homemade vehicle registered after January 1, 1975, and every vehicle registered as a reconstructed vehicle after March 1, 1996 shall be equipped with adequate fenders covering the front and rear tires to prevent splashing of water and throwing of gravel, stones or other objects.

The process used by WSP to take fenderless hot rods off the road should be questioned by our legislators. Some Wis. hot rodders have contacted their legislators urging them to find out what WSP is up to. All Wis. car enthusiasts wanting to support these efforts should contact their legislators. There will be more info on this thread about legislator contact.

This isn't over.

previous threads on this issus so go here for background

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/13055914/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bogus-fender-law-interpretation-in-wisconsin.1150331/

Here is Brad's 32
    brads 32.jpg

2. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

What a bunch of shit! You guys have to keep up the good fight. Big Brother can't be allowed to get away with this.

a boner and Stogy like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you were a politician you'd be 'good to go" with no hassle.

slack likes this.
  4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( This sucks.Will be following along.Something is sure rotten,and it ain`t in Denmark.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

a boner and Stogy like this.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Total BS, Curious to see how it turns out and IMO, the Highway Patrol has plenty to do, as all other law enforcement groups rather than harass the car hobbyist. As a Wisconsin resident I will contact whomever when you post, suggest the list uses zipcode reference for proper contacts, info. Thank You for getting involved, I believe this all happened before back in 70's/80's and it was settled/agreed on at that time, the Hobbyist plate came from that I believe. Side Note, NICE 32

6. Contact S.E.M.A., they have been very helpful in the past. Keep in contact with your state politicians. Remind them about your votes.

phantompjcoupe and Stogy like this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

To find your Wisconsin Legislator, (Senator or Representative)......"Enter your address"......Just enter your zip code!
    https://legis.wisconsin.gov
    For best results make a phone call......you will get to speak to one of their assistants. Don't bother sending an Email!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Stogy and wicarnut like this.
  8. robracer1

robracer1

They can fail a vehicle for not having a washer bottle, that state has a chip on their shoulder. I left off cuss words because the post would be too long

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Mr48chev, Stogy and a boner like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Dark Day in the World of Hotrod for sure...Copycat legislation is foreseeable truly saddening and I have been following this through the other threads...My full support your way fellas...and it ain't going to be easy...

Where are the stat's to justify whats being implemented...are there broken windshields and accidents on record or is this just a non vintage vehicle closed legislation party to eliminate an era...

10. vwfreek

vwfreek

I've been following the previous threads. I don't have a hot rod, but I have 4 VW's with Hobbyist plates and one with Collector plates. Is WSP claiming the car is a homemade/reconstructed vehicle rather than street modified? It can clearly be identified as a '32 Ford, so what is the reasoning for not classifying it as street modified?

I think there is some confusion by WSP about what requires an inspection. One of my Hobbyist vehicles is a VW trike with a homemade title, it has a MI vin, previously titled in IL stated on the title, and the previous owner had it registered in WI. So obviously it's been around for awhile. When I registered it I decided to go with Hobbyist plates. I sent in the paperwork and the DMV sent me the plates. Last fall when I went to the DMV to road test for my motorcycle endorsement, WSP was there looking at all the motorcycles. The officer couldn't understand how I got Hobbyist plates without an inspection, even though I repeatedly told him it already had a homemade title when I got it. Thankfully he let me go, but maybe the next guy won't be as nice.

Stogy, wicarnut and a boner like this.
  11. A Boner

A Boner

Wisconsin's Legislature, DMV, DOT, State Patrol, and Governor are all on a different wavelengths! If we can get this global warming thing under control, maybe the stars will once again align, and things can then snap back to a friendlier place like they once were.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    wicarnut and Stogy like this.
  12. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

First and foremost, damn shame about the inspection. The 32 is gorgeous.
    I was told in a different post that 305.22 did not apply to this car. I questioned the other stats and was told I did not understand.
    Does the Wisconsin Specialty Vehicle Council or Wisconsin Car Club Alliance have a legal defense fund. The only way this will be decided is in a court of law. $$$$$$$

a boner, Stogy and wicarnut like this.
  13. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^
    Sounds good to me.
    Anyone know who represents the above groups?
    If so, call them and get them involved......this is going to take a group effort!

wicarnut, oldcootnco and Stogy like this.
  14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Contact the SEMA Action Network (SAN). This a part of SEMA that works to change bad laws concerning our old cars. Good luck, the 32 is a super looking car

oldcootnco likes this.
  15. The "Hobbyist" license plate Statute became effective June 24, 1976. All went well until 1991, due to Wisconsin State Patrol getting involved with WISDMV's "Hobbyist" license plate issuing process. 200 plus applications for "Hobbyist" plates had not been processed, some for 6 years, and vehicle titles were held at WISDMV, no title, no plates, no driving.

To clear up that issue, our hot rod community met with WISDMV and WSP and mutually agreed to the title brand terms "replica" and "street modified" to distinguish our cars from the "homemade" and "reconstructed" brand that WSP needed for their own purposes. Those changes became effective April 1, 1994.

In the 70's and the 90's all of our proposed requirement changes to Wis Statute and Code were reviewed by WSP with the understanding that driving fenderless hot rods would not be illegal. WSP does not honor its word.

Thank you for your offer to help, follow this thread also for info on how to help. As we get more involved in correcting the problems I will post how people can help.

Curt R

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  16. GTS225

GTS225

I'm thinking that this needs to be approached from a different angle, but it may take some time for it to develop. Business owners that see a reduction in income, due to WSP's over-reach, need to complain, en-masse, to their representatives.

If you decide to cancel a trip to a Wisconsin event, make sure to talk to the manager of the hotel that your cancelling your reservations, and why you're cancelling. It might also be that there could be calls to local restaurants that you may have visited during your cancelled stay, letting them know that they won't be seeing the business that you could have given them. Once local business owners start griping, I'm sure somebody is going to get an earful.

Money, or loss of it, has a way of altering people's perspective.

Roger

17. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I like what GTS225 is saying. When it hurts the businesses bilfold in that state then they will take measures to to correct the problem. I have no plans in the future to go to Wisc. and that is in my family car.

18. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Well, doesn't this just put a halt to my build. I'll be making some calls to my state officials. Truly terrible news.

19. My motivation to get started on my Model A Tudor build is starting to wane. Getting too old to play the waiting game again, seems like every 20 years these games get played, which is just sad..

20. Been legal for the last 40 years to run fenderless, no laws have been changed, and now we should just change everything. Stupid has nothing to do with it.

21. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

I just contacted my representatives. They are looking into it and will return my call with their findings. I'll do what I can.

a boner likes this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dang..............

23. If you note I used a steel Model A with an original title, thus why my example does indeed get an exemption or at least should. I'll also be putting regular standard tags on it rather than hobbyist. As far as Brad's car goes, all bets are off, either way it will be a long long road ahead for him. Curt R has been with all of this for close to 50 years. I'll continue to support him and give him any help he needs. I guess this is hard to comprehend not dealing with it for over 40 years like myself.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Old wolf and Hnstray like this.
  24. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Is there any estimation of how many fenderless cars are registered in Wisconsin?
    Just wondering how many car owners are affected.

25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

And when they say it has to be green , you'll conform , and when they say 4 cyl motor , you'll conform to keep from being " stupid"

26. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Are sure you are a Hot Rodder? Why would you make such a stupid statement?? Real hot rods have been running sans fenders for decades ( probably before you were born)
    I think you should find another forum to frequent.

27. John Stimac

John Stimac

I'm following all this conversation, and I want all you Wisconsin rodders and collector car people that you have my total support and all the MOJO that I can muster up on this issue.
    I'm fortunate enough to have left the State 15 years ago and live in Heaven in Arizona when it comes to tolerance of the vehicles we all love to drive and display. Every time I read a new post, I have to pinch myself when I drive one of my heaps. My best wishes for a successful outcome. Your in great hands with the two leaders in this thread.
    Stimac 28685372_10215544383713048_2448421648441523477_n.jpg

A Boner, 1947knuck, enloe and 2 others like this.
  28. robracer1

robracer1

Leave Wisconsin bring your fenderless hot rods to Georgia, we have a FTF law plus don't need wipers, defrost, hoods, bumpers or washer tank and any car over 25 years all you need is a bill of sale with the year of the vehicle.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Kan Kustom, chopped and Blue One like this.
  29. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I’m not sure you belong on this forum.

30. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

P1050982.jpeg WoW ! Looks like I have a pass for the time being. '29 AV8 , original title. I wonder how long before this too will be ticket bait ?