Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question about long distance purchase

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin Younce, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Consignment shops have LOTS of room to deal. Especially if that part of inventory has been there a while. A lot of times vehicles wind up in a consignment shop because it hasn’t sold despite the owners best efforts.

metlmunchr and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Nothing new to add, but, I would not buy anything without seeing it myself or at least someone I really trust seeing it first. I would not touch it with no title. Just me.

arkiehotrods and squirrel like this.
  3. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

What city is it in?

4. squirrel

squirrel

That "fever" is kind of nice, if, say, you want to send someone a video of all the parts of an old truck someone with money wants to know more about.

But it is also good to see some folks have stuck to the old technology as much as they can.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. greener200

greener200

In today's day an age there's NO EXCUSE for not getting photos ,,,,strike that ,,,,Multiple photos of a car/ truck your interested in . I Dont care how old you are ! get a grandkid with a smartphone ,God knows its glued to their head ! I just went through this with my 78 year old dad buying a 35 Ford Grill . Look at it or photos .......Dont be a puttz

6. Add the city in California. I might live within 2 miles of it, or I might be 800 miles from it.

Charlie Stephens

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictures will not always tell the story. I bought a '55 Chevy in Boerne, TX, some years ago. His description was that it was 100% and that it had new brakes, etc. and his mechanic had done all the work.

I got there and it appeared as he stated. The body and paint were perfect and it started and ran with no problems. It was in the middle of a Texas thunderstorm so I loaded it on my trailer inside a building. I hauled it back to Lone Jack and it promptly failed the prerequisite vehicle inspection for the state.

It had new brake shoes but the old drums were grooved and past the limits for turning. When I took the front end apart the ball bearings on both sides scattered across the garage floor. The bushings in the front end had no rubber to speak of.

I called the guy and told him what I found. He offered my money back but I had 3 days and 1800 miles in the trip. To his credit he said to send him the bill for the parts to be replaced including labor and that if I wanted to do the work I could keep the labor money.

The moral of the story is that even though you have pictures and go look yourself there is still a risk. I came out fine because the seller was a stand up guy. There is no way I would buy a lawn mower without at least seeing the vehicle and driving it.

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I still run a flipper phone, and until they make a smart phone with a 22" so I can see things, I will not get one. You know they can send Smart Phone vids to your computer which you have because you are using one right now to look at the post.

56don likes this.
  9. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

San Jacinto .

10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

San Jacinto

11. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Am going to see the black 39 Tomorrow Morn. He confirmed that he had a bill of sale and a current registration so I can get a title In SC. Am taking cash, he suggested could wire money back if I liked it but if I do like its coming with me.

Attached Files:

12. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

No title was an issue till I went to Dmv today and confirmed I could get a SC title with a current registration and bill of sale which he has. Got info from DMV in writing.

13. It is ALWAYS scary/risky to buy a vehicle sight unseen.
    When I lived on Maui I bought a 1959 Cadillac limousine from Bay Area. Before cell phone pics. Seller said I can mail u pics. I said never mind as takes too long so just walk around car and answer my questions. I purchased and was very concerned but turned out way better than described.
    Still on Maui I bought a 1959 Cadillac sedan from Minnesota after paying for inspection that said do not buy. When it arrived I was thrilled with it.
    I did buy a 1957 Dodge Sweptside over phone at auction which was way worse than described.
    I guess some folks are honest n some are not.
    I liked the suggestion to have a CHAMber look at a perspective purchase.
    Best of luck

14. 47ragtop

47ragtop

$18000 vs $8000 . Most times it's not what something costs BUT what it's worth that is most important. Also today it's a Buyers market -- low ball the company with the black truck, if the owner has passed it is definitely for sale !!

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Watch out having someone inspect a car across the country...... minimal rust in New York...is nothing like minimal rust in Oklahoma. Just saying.......

Bones

lothiandon1940 and 56don like this.
  16. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

They were asking 19, 500.00 but when I told him it was advertised for 18 said he would take it. Seems like a lot but after looking at every single 38 to 39 I could find in last month or so ,price is on line with what I have seen. If the pics do it justice , it will be about the cleanest and solid nonrestored other than a repaint 39 I have seen . I plan on just driving it as is for a while . Have restored probably 25 or so rods in my life not to mention some reprints and I have yet to keep a car and just enjoy it. Always looking for a new project but this is something I have wanted since I traded my 39 truck I did in high school towards a 59 Vette which btw I sold in a month.

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

If you are going to spend good money on a purchase then spend some money for a round trip ticket.

18. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I’ve been following along with this thread from the beginning. I own a ‘39 Ford truck.

I live in Hemet California. San Jacinto is in the same valley.
    I could check it out if you want

19. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Wow, that is a really nice gesture. I am going to Ga to look at one in the morning and if I pass on it I will contact you and work out arrangements and I will compensate you for your help.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  20. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Good for you and yes , things seem to be a bit different now .

21. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Yeah, no problem. I’d be happy to look at it for you. I’m surprised I don’t already know about the truck. This valley isn’t that big. Let me know.....

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Like 8 hours from me.....

23. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Bought the black Truck came off price a bit and showed me a ton of receipts where they did all sorts of stuff. Paint ain't pretty but there's is zero rust , cab corners are orig , bottom of doors are solid, all fenders are solid bu not perfectly smooth. Probably in my estimate I would spend around 50 to 100 hours to get it in perfect shape body wise and cost of paint. Engine runs, no smoke or leaks but has a lifter or 2 making noise. Gauges all work , speedo shows 14,000 or so miles. Which could more than likely be 114,000 but this thing is solid as I have seen in a while .no cancer anywhere.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    TrailerTrashToo, Moon50F3 and jnaki like this.
  24. Good deal, It should make a great driver. HRP

25. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

A driver it will be.

26. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I never buy cars or major parts without touching them, never.

I've driven 1800+ miles over a weekend looking at potential purchases. Started in Iowa, drove to Mississippi and ended up buying a truck in Texas. The first truck I went to sounded the best and looked the best in pictures (it was the worst pile of crap of the 5 I looked at). The one I bought looked the worst in pictures but the guy kept assuring me it was a great truck and he was just a lousy photographer.

Road trip, plane flight or whatever it takes. If you can't do that, walk away and limit your search area to what you can actually do.

SPark

27. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

All right!!!! Good for you. Post up some pictures when you get a chance. We have a ‘39 Ford truck thread on here too.

28. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Yeah I posted on there the other day that I was looking and now I will be joining

Jim Bouchard likes this.