Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC Decoding oddball

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeezCustoms, Jul 1, 2019.

1. DeezCustoms

DeezCustoms

The time has come for my father to sell his 23 Touring T-Bucket, and as we're talking about putting it up for sale, he casually mentioned that it had a 69 Z28 302 motor in it. Knowing that these can be hard to come by, I've done some digging and research on the good ole interweb, and have found that the casting number supports part of this theory. The serial number, however, does not. Why? After more conversation and digging, the true story unfolded.

When he was building something in the 60's/early 70's, he ran with a unique group of car guys in the city of Chicago. While he was in his apprenticeship, and his brother was machining, they built all kinds of drag cars. Well, one of the guys in the group from the Shell station they all hung out at was a Buick parts guy at a local dealership. This, coincidentally, gave him access to the GM parts warehouse. He is positive he still has the receipt, though it's been a week and he's still digging. It was purchased (legitly) through the parts guy in 1969.

The casting number is 3956618 (pictures attached)
    The serial number is CE9A49882

The only thing I could find through various forums was that this motor was a warranty replacement motor, sold as a short block. This is what my pops told me: He bought a short block, straight from the warehouse, and specifically wanted a 302.

Would I be honest in listing the car as having a 69' Z28 motor? Or is this just another regular ole' Small Block that is by no means special ?

You guys are the brain trust, I sincerely appreciate any and all positive input and help you're willing to offer.

Take care,
    Mark

DSCF7313.JPG DSCF7315.JPG

2. squirrel

squirrel

It's not a motor from a 69 Z28, it's a factory replacement motor for a Z28.

The value depends on who wants it, for what purpose.

3. Richard Head

Richard Head

I have a 1967 283 with "CE" engine suffix. I always assumed it was a replacement engine, since it didn't match anything I looked up. It came installed in a 1933 Ford pickup.

Dave

winduptoy likes this.
  4. Yep CE just stand for "Chevy Engine" meaning it was a block that was not designated for the assembly line. Chevy has separate engine plants that would built almost complete engines then ship them to the main assembly plants for various cars. When still at the engine plant they would get the suffix code to determine what the motors ultimate destination would be, so they could be properly crated up and shipped.

As far as value, its still a 302 and if its a 69 block then it is the best 302 as they had the 4 bolt mains. If the heads and internals are Z/28 and matching the block then your looking at probably $2-3k as real deal assembly line DZ 302's are bringing over $6k if you can find one. Just advertise it as a Warranty block 302 with the casting number.

5. squirrel

squirrel

CE is allegedly Counter Engine (as in "parts counter")

bobss396 and bowie like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Yank the heads and oil pan off the motor and take plenty of pictures.... I would to see everything about that motor....

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If you are selling the T-bucket complete, just list it as a 1969 302. Only Z28 dudes would really care if it was ever in a Camaro or not.
    If you are trying to sell just the engine, you need to list it as a replacement block. In my mind, this might actually be a plus. If I was a number matching restorer nut and needed an engine for my Z28, then I might actually prefer to put a replacement engine in instead of a 302 out of a different Camaro because the serial numbers wouldn't match. But with an over the counter engine, it could have been replaced under factory warranty in 1969 or something...closer than being a mix match of wrong parts.
    I have a '61 Corvette that has a 1970 LT1 counter engine in it. If I ever yank that out I'm gonna market to the Corvette dudes as a replacement engine.

Deuces likes this.
  8. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Several post on CE stamp blocks all over the HAMB and other hot rod forms. From what I've found out it does stand for "Chevrolet Engine" and all the other GM's Buick Olds Caddy and Pontiac had the "E Code Warranty blocks" Buick would have been "BE" meaning "Buick Engine" I'm sure you get the point. GM transmission also same type of codes. The number after the CE is the year from what I've read. So your CE 9 would be a "1969" Squirrel has many old Post on this that I've read going back to around 2003 and other dates and many other HAMB members have written much on the "CE" blocks. I have a "1968 327" it's a "CE warranty short block" But the block is dated as 3/1971 it's a 0010 block. As the good members here have told me the original 1968 327 engine broke down some how and all the good parts of that 68-327 where saved and used in the 1971 0010 warranty CE-block that was rebuilt by the dealership in that said year of 1971. Then the block is stamped "CE1" meaning Chevrolet Engine 1971. The dealership stamps the code #'s other places on the block as mine has "V1071656" on the flat of starter mounting base. Squirrel commented about this # also and I did find more information about it being very close to what Squirrel had said. It is a partly plant code and warranty code #... "V" is the plant "1" is the year and the other #'s are internal plant code #'s only the plant knows what it pertains to?? So you have the other type of "CE" Engine its a Complete short block. People could have bought it over the counter like your Father did. Long blocks or short blocks were for sale at dealerships from what all the HAMB members and other information I've been able to find on the net. The over the counter engines sometimes had "CE" stamped on the front pad with other #'s. Other members have said that there brand new dealership short or long blocks engines had "NO" Suffix code or #'s... A clean pad... But had #'s stamp in different area's like mine by the starter area or above the oil filter bose on the rough cast part and other places like the oil pan mounting flat area or on the timing chain area in other words just about any where on the block the dealership would stamp there over the counter code #'s. Your father has a "Very unique engine" and there are Not many around these days as many people have said it was Not used in a Z/28 BUT it very well could have been put in one IF it was pulled out of storage for a warranty engine back in 1969 or whenever ?? But it was sold to your Father as a "New" over the counter short block. IT was bought as a "1969 302 LG short block engine" (Now a complete engine) WAY COOL... IT IS worth money any way you look at it... Especially to a 1969 Z/28 Camaro owner as said before... Be wise when you put that cool old Hot Rod up for sale my friend...
    1Nimrod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019