Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for high beam and turn signal indicators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txcr13, Jul 1, 2019.

1. txcr13

txcr13

Built a 5 gauge panel for center of dash. Looking for small indicator lights to add to the panel for high beam and turn indication. Want something that doesn't light up the car or that is too bright when high beams are on. Can only use something that fits 1/4" or 5/16" hole in the panel.
    What lights have you gents used and where did you get them?
    Thanks for the help.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I used some of these

L71526-ND

from DigiKey, they are incandescent, which is getting hard to find these days. Problem is they are for a 1/2" hole, which is pretty common for incandescent indicator lights.

If you want to use some modern LED crap, you can just buy some LEDs and panel bushings and perhaps several different value current limiting resistors, and see how you like it. More resistance, less current, and not so bright. The problem is they will need to be bright in the day to see them, and dim at night to not blind you.

3. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Tim, BradinNC, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  4. This is where I got mine, I used red for high beam and green for turn signals, they bot were a little too bright so I lightly sprayed some black on the inside and toned it way down, a dimmer bulb would have worked but I didn't take the time to find them. HRP

https://www.amprepairparts.com/jewels.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

302GMC and Shadow Creek like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

unfortunately, look is all you can do....

"This item is temporarily unavailable"

6. For my high beam and idiot light, these are smooth faced, but almost out of sight.
    [​IMG]

For turn signals, these are amber rhinestone faceted style and fit older style cars nicely.
    [​IMG]

Search eBay motors, vintage parts, interior lights. A lot of things will pop up and you can refine the search for size and type. Rhinestone style fits nicely in many traditional situations. There are a lot of choices.

txcr13 likes this.
  7. I'm that old geezer that continues down the road for another 5 miles with the turn signal flashing. :confused:
    I prefer something like airport landing lights to remind me to switch 'em off. :cool:

325w, RDR, firstinsteele and 5 others like this.
  8. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hated everything I found. Too big, too small, too common, too ugly, too modern, too cliche'. I did this;
    144.jpg

Came from a postwar Mopar, 46-7 Dodge I think. The light sockets are little big in the back so I couln't put it between the gauges like I wanted.

10. txcr13

txcr13

11. txcr13

txcr13

12. squirrel

squirrel

the hole for those is relatively huge

13. rjones35

rjones35

I got some little tiny ones at radio shack years ago. Worked for me.

14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

We need an "I resemble that remark" button

Black_Sheep likes this.
  15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are some bullet lights that I added in for turn indicators and high beam. I wanted blue for the high beam but broke the light installing it and all I had on hand was the red one. It will still work though. I wanted them bright enough so that the turn indicators could be seen in the daylight as well as at night seeing as they are not self cancelling.

Attached Files:

txcr13 likes this.
  16. 52HardTop

52HardTop

txcr13 likes this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^ Very similar to these, (plastic push-in) BUT! Have a chrome bezel around the top, that slides on over the back body/socket, and comes up to the lens. Push it in from the front. Radio Shack and Quement electronics. 12 volt, bright enough... Red, blue, green, amber. $7.00 each.

txcr13 likes this.
  18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I found the high beam indicator from a 46 ford pick up. Nice and small and it looks like it should be there. Forty ford cars used the same thing.

19. My daily driver late model has a chime that sounds after a short time if you leave the signal on. Not sure how you wire that up but it might work for your “problem”!

20. Old busses and commercial vehicles sometimes have nice indicator lights

21. I have the same problem, so I have installed small 12volt buzzers, with a couple of diodes, which sounds at the same time as the indicator. It was a little loud, so I wound some tape over it to shut it up, and mounted it up under the dash.

22. robracer1

robracer1

I have blinker indicators but chose not to install a high beam indicator, at night I just turn the headlights on and push in the dimmer switch on and off to set my head lights.
    In other words with low beans on I can see shit, with the high beam on I can see what I'm going to hit.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

txcr13 likes this.
  24. Canuck

Canuck

Nice vintage look with a jewelled lens and available in various colours. Used on vintage English motorcycles and cars. Bulb is totally enclosed so doesn't throw light behind dash. Works good day or night.
    upload_2019-7-2_0-0-58.png
    Available from parts suppliers for vintage motorcycles.

My Model A dash - - [​IMG]

25. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

txcr13 likes this.
  26. Radio shack has small LED 12V lights that are 1/4" Dia. They only come in green or red though. Believe they are less than $3.00. Used them on my gauge panel for turn and bright light indicators.
    Gauge Panel - Copy.JPG

txcr13 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

watsons-streetworks.com should have what you need.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    txcr13 likes this.
  28. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

That's awesome. Looks killer