Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rubber floor mat for running boards pictures?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toad611, Jul 1, 2019.

1. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Have a 36 Ford with smoothie running boards and thinking about using ribbed rubber floor mat or tuck bed mat to cover the boards. Does anyone have pictures of any cars that had this done? I don’t want them to look too cheap but not wanting to spend over $1200 for new boards from Drake.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

get some of the covers-they look great if installed correctly.

3. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

What covers? My boards are aftermarket smoothies so stock replacement covers do not fit them.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Ooops....I was too slow to post exactly what you don't want..

6. this is not what you asked for but maybe another option. vinyl covers that snap on over the boards. my dad had it done to the car back in 1957. we replicated it when we redid the car. 12470811343_6815961f41_c.jpg 2015 LARS Fund 651.jpg ted 024.JPG

7. A Boner

A Boner

The other question would be "what is the best glue to use" when installing the rubber?

$1200.00..... Wonder how much they would be if the weren't made in CHINA!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  8. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Back in the 80s my dad and grandpa both used a rubber mat to wrap the running boards of their 34 Plymouths. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures that show it clearly but unless you knew exactly what the original mats looked like you would have never known it wasn’t original. From what I remember it had ribs or lines that ran front to back of the running board which they lined up with the outside edge of the board. I’ve done some searches for rubber mats which may be similar and found this...

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Cal-Fine-Corrugated-Rubber-Runners/dp/B01DCR5JZS?th=1&psc=1

I don’t know what glue he used to attach it though..

9. Gerrys

Gerrys

Something like the urethane used for windshields would be good to bond it to the metal. Or bed liner while wet.