Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Parts solvent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dangerous Dan, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Went to O' rileys to buy a 5 gallon can of solvent for my parts washer, just about SHIT when the drone( a gal) behind the counter said that will be $99.99 plus tax. After I caught my breath I told him I could but 5 gallons of R&R for the same price on base. Her comment was what kind of solvent was that. Had to catch my breath again and told her it was the good shit. LOL

j-jock, WB69, Mr48chev and 1 other person like this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Isn't there a bulk plant for oil, fuel oil, lubrication products near you ? Locally, 5 gallons is $33 with tax if you bring the can.

3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Ouch! For that kind of money I'd be afraid to use it (I'm cheap that way.....except for booze:)) Everybody has their favorite, but I like mineral spirits (paint thinner). It's affordable, easy to get and works very well.

Pats55 likes this.
  4. It's the would we live in, any and all petroleum base products increase almost daily, I generally use cheap lacquer thinner for greasy parts but i don'y have to do that too often. HRP

deathrowdave likes this.

5. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I use mineral spirits also. Works very well. When I visit Italy I sing that song to the kids. It's a hoot when they sing it back it can go on for hours

rockable likes this.
  6. pitman

pitman

"That's Amore!" Deano.

7. Crayons

Crayons

I bought the carb cleaner (over $100 at O'Reillys ) , it really does the job. ..got tired of the bio-degradable you can brush your teeth with. It will last me a lifetime.

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Mineral Spirits , works great for me , then some purple junk , hose off with hot water , it’s rusty clean fast . Soda blast carb parts anymore , not solvents . They are dangerous and big $$$ anymore . I had a Bud that did carbs for many years , tumors all over his body before he passed . I give up on the junk that has a warning it causes cancer . They only people you really hurt being stupid is your family . I just can’t do it anymore .

RidgeRunner and Texas Webb like this.
  9. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Mineral spirits are the solvent you get at my dealer. $5.00/gal the last I bought.
    Pete

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have 2 parts cleaning tanks. One steel with Safety Kleen product in it. Hardly use it anymore. The other is a plastic tub and it's full of Simple Green. Drop the part in, come back in a few hours and scrub a little then either rinse or drop it back in the tub. Simple Green does a great job on greasy/oily stuff.
    SPark

j-jock and partssaloon like this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

And Simple Green smells nice, too.

rjones35 likes this.
  12. In the old days, it was a metal drain pan with gas in it. An old paint brush and stuff came clean fast.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

48fordnut, WB69, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I buy mine from a petroleum dealer, it’s expensive but not $99 for 5 gallons. If I remember right about $5 for a gallon

14. chargin03

chargin03

Diesel fuel works for me.

Old wolf, jazz1 and Sporty45 like this.
  15. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yup, I have Kerosene in mine.

Old wolf likes this.
  16. I have diesel in my parts washer. Use gas with a pan quite often. Spray crusty stuff with oven cleaner. I also buy that rot your brains carb cleaner in a spray can. Use hot water and dish liquid & a stiff bristle brush also.

17. I use a citrus parts cleaner. Works great , have used it for over 5 years and still working great. The stuff is expensive though. Thinking about my exposure to the other solvents.
    Vic

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

When I was in the .mil we had regular safety briefings on chemicals and solvents and the MSDS. One of the things they emphasized when working with parts cleaners, it isn't just the solvent itself that causes trouble.

All the "stuff" dissolved in it, whether cadmium or zinc or lead or whatever, is carried along with the solvent and since it is a solvent, passes right through the skin and into the bloodstream. "Always wear gloves" is the takeaway. I remember a crusty old sarge talking about his off the chart so high we can't believe you're alive cholesterol, he said the docs told him it was because he was exposed to so many hardcore industrial solvents.

19. john walker

john walker

Look up benzine and leakemia.

20. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

truck64 is correct. there are all kinds of solvents. dmso is an industrial solvent that will take what's on your skin to your internal parts. solvents deserve caution.
    pete

21. And yet all those solvents and chemicals are natural things. everything in on or around the planet is a natural thing. The main deciding factor on how long you live and how healthy you are is genetics. Rasputin comes to mind. Our daughter in law is 23 and has stage 4 colon cancer. never been around chemicals. Dont smoke. Doesn't drive hasn't ever even pumped gas. But guess what her mother had the same cancer and other members of their family also.

54vicky likes this.
  22. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Hemlock, nightshade and arsenic are traditional "all natural" poisons. Many of our solvents and chemicals are "brewed" by man. Either way, ignoring modern "pain-in-the-ass" safety precautions increases the odds of getting a Darwin Award.

XXL__, impala4speed and Old wolf like this.
  23. jailbird

jailbird

Moonshine works and you can have a good time while cleaning those parts its a dual purpose cleaner

WB69 and raven like this.
  24. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

White gas at that.

Truckdoctor Andy and Old wolf like this.
  25. I think todays unleaded is about the same as white gas. back in the day I used that red colored gas that had terateytel lead. and they sprayed the cotton field with arsenic to kill the boll wevills. sprayed the milking parlor with DDT to kill the flies. That's what is wrong with folks today. Too many Mamby Pamby culls we don't have any survival of the fittest. We went on a drive yesterday. seen many nice well kept lawns. no kids toys or junk in the yards. and never seen not one child outside playing. And here at my corner the cows mow the grass. and our Grandsons Grayson 4 and Deano 3 are outside playing unsupervised. They come in about every half hour to check on grandpaw and grandmaw to be shure we are Ok.

26. I use Awesome Liquid Cleaner, $ 1.00 per bottle at Dollar Tree Stores, at the back of the store with other cleaning products.. It works good, and smells good, and since it is inexpensive, I, just buy what I need at the time.

winduptoy likes this.
  27. jailbird

jailbird

I was told the other day that Hopps solvent works really well on Hilborn nozzels
    Where could I find some its in a glass bottle

28. atch

atch

Do you use it "right out of the bottle" or diluted? Sounds like a Tote with Simple Green would be a good addition to the commercial parts cleaner tank/pump that is full of Stoddard Solvent.

29. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It that where my Leukemia is from,,, ,my old cars and cleaning solvents