Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for a certain '32 Ford phaeton

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gary Addcox, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was watching Twilight Zone the other night when a '32 phaeton showed up in a scene with Jack Warden. This was Season1, Episode 7 entitled The Lonely, dated Nov. 3, 1959. The car just sits next to his cabin where he has been banished to this asteroid for commiting a crime. I just wonder if any other old codger as myself might know who the car belonged to since filming was always done in California in those days. You will need to be as old as Squirrel and me to remember. It was a black? phaeton with steelies and no top, a really cool looking rod. Maybe Andy Brizio has an idea about the car.

2. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't help with the owner but I remember the episode very well & was totally blown away by that tub. :)

3. rudestude

rudestude

Do you mean this one. There was also this one that was in the movie "Girl Crazy" 1943
    Also do a search in the Jalopy Journal under the thread 32 Phaeton , my next family car.
    There a bunch of talk on there about the car possibly being the one the guy just bought apparently, I didn't read the complete thread...I'm not sure how old of a person you seemed to think a guy had to be to have this info, but I'm 58 and I just know how to do a online search, I have found it to be fairly simple and I know nothing about computer stuff. 15619678409858734486830214347863.jpeg 15619679786787322461838549735032.jpeg 15619680832481017740225773670234.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I think that it was owned and bought new by MGM studios.It was auctioned off in the late 60's with lots of their props.If its the one it was a very early production car(below number 300) ,Dave Graham was the winning bidder.

5. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Is it the one in the yard in the 1959 MGM movie The Mating Game with Debbie Reynolds,,,there’s a few old cars in the background,,pretty sure the 32 is a tub,,,

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the car, rudestude. I'm 73 and didn't get into computers until recently. I rely on other HAMBers to provide info and it works most of the time. I'm going to look up Girl Crazy on here and watch it if I can find it. The HAMB and JALOPY JOURNAL are my second and third Bibles. Good talking with you, rudestude.

rudestude, oldtymehiboy and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Is that Mickey Rooney in the left rear seat?
    There is a 32 phaeton that is known as the Mickey Rooney car that was once owned by John Siroonian of Western wheel.
    This could be that car?

8. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

IMG_2187.JPG

Did a quick search. This is the car I’m talking about. Looks like some old photos of the car on the board in front of the car

9. How did they get the car back from Mars? :D HRP

[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

The John Siroonian car was a 32 tub found on Maui in the late 60's .Jim Latin found it in the jungle near Haiku. He tore it apart with his bare hands and put it in a washing machine box and checked it in on his flight return to CA. A guy we knew at the time called "Fat Mike" bought it from Jim and built the car as a beater and later John bought it from him.

oldtymehiboy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Yeah maybe, I don’t know

I know John had a tub he called the Mickey Rooney car that was in some old movies. He had pictures of Mickey Rooney in the car. In HRP’s post above, I can tell that is indeed Mickey. John had a huge collection, maybe we are talking about two different tubs

12. rudestude

rudestude

The car was also in the movie "The Atomic Kid" with Mickey Rooney. And the street rod version of the 32 is the one from the movie.
    One thing that I have noticed is in the different bits of info about the car ,each story about the individual movies it always says that a 32 Ford phaeton was used they never says , nothing that I have seen anyways, the same car was used in all of the movies, and one article did say the studio had more than one 32 Ford phaeton and one of them was new with a very low,300,production number.

13. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

There are pictures of that car with Laurel & Hardy.It had the fenders loosed up ,doors off and pictured as an accident.I was at the preview of that MGM auction but not as a bidder.I did physically look at that car.There was also a '33 stardard phaeton that the studios owned.A friend and Early Times member bought that car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Every thing I have seen with Laurel & Hardy they are in T Models although I do recall seeing them in a 33 Buick. HRP

15. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

HRP,You're right.There was a pic published in an issue of Ford Life magazine in the 70's of that deuce tub with L & H in it.Tried hunting that issue down but failed.

16. You know how good the hamb members are at investigating, if it can be found someone is bound to locate that issue and post the photo! :) HRP

17. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

HRP, Here is an issue of FL with L&H and a '36 Ford cabrio blown apart.That deuce pic I mentioned might be in this issue.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

John Siroonian had at least two '32 tubs.
    If I remember correctly, I built a chassis for the "Fat Mike" car when I worked at Pete & Jake's.
    I think he already had a finished one at that time.

Jim Bouchard and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. redo32

redo32

It's been a few years, I saw it at Justice brothers Museum. Had a picture of Mickey Rooney with the phaeton laying on it's side.
    [​IMG]

rudestude likes this.
  20. rudestude

rudestude

No problem Gary, ya computers scare me , I have never owned one myself ,everything I do is on my tablet.
    Actually when ever I see a thread about someone wanting some info or history on or about something, I like to challenge myself to see what I can dig up,sometimes I get a little too involved in researching something that really doesn't benefit me except for the fact that hopefully I'm helping someone with something that benefits them. I guess it gives me a purpose, its usually in the evenings into early mornings , due to some of my meds I can't sleep so I got to keep my mind from going to the dark side and this stuff helps me alot ,then I have my Hot Rods to work on during the day. I have a fairly large collection of everything and what I can't find on site then I go online...
    Good luck on your quest
    Terry (aka Rudestude)

Tim likes this.
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This reaction to that phaeton is what I'm talking about, rude stude. Your pic of the tub brought out names like John Siroonian and P. Wood and lots of info about tubs. Like you, I don't sleep when we are "supposed to", whatever that means. My first 30 years on the railroad were on pool jobs which is a fancy way of saying I was on call. That destroyed my body clock for the next 10 years before I retired in '07. Watching these guys and their builds really makes me want to do something, anything car-oriented. I surely hope you can make your way down to Austin someday to the Lonestar Roundup held each April. It is the best Texas has to offer, in my opinion.

Cyclone Kevin and rudestude like this.
  22. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

This car belonged to George Bistagne.
    It was not one of Sirroonians'.