Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot rodding and social media

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Jun 23, 2019.

1. There's no specific place like The Hamb... when I looking for info... Google.com search: "Model A on 32 rails" site: The Hamb. Enter.... and the magic is happen...
    You can surf the web on Instagram, Facebook... But only in The Hamb you can found a build Thread a photo Thread....and... Answer's to your questions!!!
    Thanks buddies....

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. I love the direction this thread has taken and I hope you all have learned something. I sure have enjoyed reading all your responses. Please keep the comments coming. For the older guys here that do not understand Instagram is basically a picture web base social page. For an example feel free to check out mine. The link is below. You just click on it and it will take you there directly.

https://www.instagram.com/hotrodron_carlsten/?hl=en

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    patmanta and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, So what is the point? I can't tell you about the Lyndwood rail with the Bantam Coupe body that was from Colorado and featured in Hot Rod in the early 1960's, I need the HAMB to post that trivia. Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Wrongway 58

Wrongway 58

Great question in the end it is 2020 not 2000 let alone 1900's things change.Always will generations change with what they like and don't.Look at mid century Hot Rodding the fact you could order a part through the mail for your car was high tech and or go to your local speed shop in town if you had one 1 stop shopping now one click and it' on your doorstep just like that.As for small business's having one has always been a challenge period seen quite a few people i know do what they can owning a business against bigger ratailer's plus what we like is a small little thing in the big picture of what's around not too us but most of the world don't care about this stuff! I myself is not all tech all the time but these are nice tools for information and ideas. In the end just enjoy what you enjoy while we are able too for a great friend of mine said "SIMPLE PLEASURES" are the best guess that's my two cents..

chryslerfan55 and pirate like this.
  5. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

My iPad listens to me even when it is turned off. A few months ago why wife screams there is a rat hanging off the bird feeder - grab the pellet gun shoot the rat. Then every time I go on the tablet for the next few weeks there is ads for exterminaters and rodent traps. This isn’t the only time something like this has happened- coincidence I don’t think so? Please don’t think I sit in my closet with a tin foil hat on - I don’t. Social media is amazing ... I use it for work, buying things and going on the H.A.M.B.

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Instagram or FB are in any way a robust replacement for the HAMB here.

The37Kid likes this.
  7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a great thread, and its obvious that a lot of us in this day and age benefit from social media in a variety of ways. I avoid twitter, and Facebook, just my personal preference, but as per my interests, I am on the wooden propeller website, and I can tell you as an aviation enthusiast, that site is pure gold when it comes to being able to see and learn and communicate with others around the planet on that particular topic .

Its the same as with the antique classic boats, antique classic tractors etc etc etc. You name it and there is a website or message board for just about anything that you can think of, I find that to be very helpful when sourcing information for various projects I have.

Now granted the element of privacy is being chipped away at daily, by hackers, malware, virus for the computer, ransomware, on and on, that behavior has always been with us and will never go away, prime example, during the age of steam locomotives, I would imagine that the pony express rider's would have said, " no way that will work " even back then when the age of telegraphy came into being, various factions that wanted to thwart communication to the next town, ( potentially bank robbers ) would cut down the telegraph wires, see a trend here ?

For me, the bottom line is yes, having a great network of people and products and opportunity's and a million little electronic pig trails to traverse to find out what you want to know, is a true blessing. Having a great website like " The H.A.M.B. " that is focused on the hot rod world is indispensable, it's because of the element of social media and websites like this one, our world of hot rods will continue to flourish !

Member FDIC, void where prohibited, batteries not included, caution, do not play on or around, content's under extreme pressure, open other end, treat your wife save your life, your mileage may vary, slaps palm of hand to forehead, " I could have had a V-8 "

Dennis.

Steam Punk Communicator.JPG

superhero holdup.jpg

engine room.jpg

8. Really well put. love the art work too.

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. ken bogren

ken bogren

I have a "smart" phone. I turn it on when I want to make a call.
    I tell people I don't like having a phone that is smarter than me :)

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to know were I should invest some money on the eye repair industry that should hit a peak in demand soon dew to millions of people reading those tiny screens 24/7. Bob

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Just bringing this back to the top as a fun read during the weekend. Feel free to comment and remember this not political so don't make so.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I did stop into the Sprint store to see if they could activate a flip phone for use at Hershey. Guy said it couldn't be done but would be happy to take $85.00 a month for a new phone I'm too old to understand. Senior center cell phone classes are booked until January. Someone should make an easy to understand video on how to use them.

13. Love my flip phone! I ain’t texting nobody.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

The37Kid likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neither do I! Well...half of you anyway. :cool:
    I don't face book, no twitter, just a bit of HAMB on rye hold the geez.

57 Fargo and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is that what you use to take all the photos you post on the HAMB? Wonder if the one I have takes photos? Bob

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

No cell phone except a track flip phone I only take when I leave town. Otherwise it`s off, and sitting on my worktable. The only thing I use the computer for is the HAMB. Never been on facebook. Still pick up the land line and order parts and supplies. As my business with working on old cars everyday, I have never been busier. I never advertised, it`s only by word of mouth. Am I out of touch with the real world. Or are you.

17. You know ,,,,,this is strange.
    I don’t feel like the Hamb is social media.
    All the social stuff usually ends up in a bitch session about someone,,,with a lot of ads,,trying to hawk something,,,,or gathering information that you gladly give them,,,without a clue as how it will be used.
    Social media is usually a gang up site where ,,if you disagree with an opinion or direction that things are going,,,you are outcast unless you conform.
    How do you think Zuckerberg,,,,,Google,,,,and the others got so much wealth,,influence and power. You gave it to them,,,,when you clicked accept on their terms of agreement.
    You just didn’t know that they were using surveillance on everything you do or say.

I love the Hamb,,,it is all about the old stuff that a car guy likes,,,and the people as well.
    I’m sure Ryan could become very wealthy if he would just start screwing us all over for the money,,,and be like the rest.
    I don’t think he is like that though,,,otherwise he already would have.

And yes,,,there are some members here ,,,that you can feel are just drumming up business when they are posting.
    Actually,,,I got that feeling from a few post on this thread,,,,hummmm,,,,kind of makes a shiver run up your spine,,,doesn’t it,,,,Lol.

Oh yeah,,,at this time I don’t feel that our hobby is dying off quite yet.
    There are a lot of young guys here,,,,,and at last count,,,,how many members does the Hamb have ?
    If Henry Ford had not built as many millions of cars as he had,,,most of this stuff would not have made it this far.
    Back in the day,,,,,the old cars were laying around,,,dirt cheap,,,,the flatheads were only a few bucks from the California junkyards.
    And a young kid could purchase an old jalopy,,,put another engine in if necessary and be on their way.

Social media,,,,yes,,,it is the pariah that everyone thinks it is !

Tommy

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@The37Kid Just go to a dollar store and buy a 20 dollar trac flip phone. No monthly fees. You can buy 400 minutes for $100. It lasts a year. If you need more minutes, just buy more. Or if you don`t use them up, they roll over. It works for me. If I texted people, looked at facebook, Instagram, twitter, snapchat and read all my e mails. When would I have time to actually do the work I am suppose to be doing.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    das858 and lake_harley like this.
  19. Outside of here, I'm not into the social media thing.

The37Kid likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, but that is $120.00 I could spend on parts.

Bob

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are absolutely correct, this is nothing like the HAMB...:rolleyes:

22. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

The only reason I have facebook and now instagram is to follow hot rod stuff (and other hobbies). There are a lot of parts for sale, and new interesting things people are making and selling on social media, that never make it onto the HAMB. I can keep in touch with friends and family via phone or email. I don't really use social media for that much.

patmanta likes this.
  23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

This brings up another dimension of the discussion. Recently, really since this post went up, I became keenly aware that my usual online sport for finding old stuff were starting to seem a bit dry (Craigslist, in particular). I've seen A LOT of old parts going up on Instagram for sale (#partswapper) and moving quick. The other thing really making it weird is the advent of Facebook Marketplace (which kinda weirds me out a bit, personally, since people can see whatever you have public on your profile vs. the anonymity offered by ePay or by CL until you were comfortable with giving info or meeting up). Most of the project cars and parts piles in my region seem to be on FB Marketplace now as social media continues to try to be all things to all people and devour the entirety of the internet.

MikeRose likes this.
  24. I'm on IG as bobss427, don't use a real name. At work, the program I'm on, they have asked us not to be on FB, not that I have been overwhelming inclined to do so anyway.

25. Now that we have has the magazine crash of 2019 what are all your thoughts now?

26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What took so long?

Tim likes this.
  27. I heard a news report about a week ago warning that certain cell phones can be turned on remotely by a hack and yes they can listen to your conversation. They claim that there is a fix for it but I missed that part. I also read that encrypted messages (used by most businesses, email, etc.) will soon become vulnerable because of Quantum computers. The future has become the past in a way. We are all now living in a small town...............with no secrets.
    So.....did you kill the rat? :)

loudbang likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

AND your internet capable TV. Can be hacked and WATCHING YOU. LOL

1947knuck, brady1929 and wraymen like this.
  29. Insomniaman

Insomniaman

If we talk about this topic, did you know that you can make a lot of money on Instagram? I didn't know about such a thing, but I often understood that people who are popular on Instagram earn a lot. I found out from a friend how I can buy Instagram likes and I can help you if you want. A minute after I transferred the money, the likes started come which is absolutely wonderful. What did these likes bring me? Many opportunities. First of all, I ended up being on the "explore page" and a lot of people started following me. For this reason, I started to claim modern brands and to earn money from the percentages I brought. Very convenient. Has anyone here tried?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  30. I first came to the HAMB 20 years ago. This same thing was being discussed back then as well. Nothing changes. Folks will come and go. Cars will be built. Suppliers and hot rod shops will open and close.

54delray likes this.