Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Today was a good day...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by five-oh, Jun 29, 2019.

1. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Long story- In 2007, I managed to talk an old farmer who my father had worked for out of a '52 Chevy truck that Dad and I had used on his farm to feed cows when I was a little shaver. I named him Sam the '52 in honor of the old farmer who really didn't want to part with him.
    I brought Sam home, and Dad and I put brakes on him. Then I got bored and traded the old truck off. After a year or so, I got it back for my friend, Minnesota68 here, and he carried Sam to Oklahoma, where he puttered around, done more work to it, and posed for pics.. sam field.jpg
    Fast forward to a month or so ago, and Minnesota68 bought himself a '50 F1 that had been updated with the drivetrain from a '68 Mustang. Much more suited to today's traffic.
    He called me and told me he didn't have room for Sam and, as per our agreement, offered me Sam back. I bargained with Mama, went to the bank, and redeemed Sam.
    Today, myself and a friend drove over two hours to get Sam and bring it home. We took my buddy's truck and trailer to get it. Now- it's important to know that this old truck probably hasn't driven more than 15 or 20 miles at a time in the past 40 years, usually more like 5 or 6..
    I've known the truck since the 80s and I KNOW from then until Minnesota got it that it had not left the county I live in, and rarely left the farm- when it did leave the farm it was a 5 mile trip to the co-op for feed.
    Minnesota68 said he didn't drive it much at all in Oklahoma other than to the store or the dump- probably 5 or 10 miles at a time.
    When we got there today, the little 235 fired up and ran so well we decided to see if it'd drive the 125 miles home under its own power.
    Sam, crossing into to Arkansas:
    Sam on the road.jpg
    At the halfway point, we stopped and had a good rib lunch at Rivertown BBQ:
    samrivertown.jpg
    And the old guy made it home with only one hiccup- apparently we overestimated his gas mileage and ran out of gas at a stoplight 20 miles from home. Tugged it to a gas station and topped it off, and we were back on the road. Home at last with Rusty the 46:
    Rustyandsam.jpg
    Now I've got another project- it needs a little brake work and probably a rebuild on the old SM420 transmission, plus the body work and rust repair, but it sure is good to have my old friend back home.
    Good friends, old trucks, two lane roads, and good ribs. Life don't get any better...

Attached Files:

• Sam2.jpg
      Sam2.jpg
      File size:
      135.3 KB
      Views:
    Balljoint, Tim, LOU WELLS and 61 others like this.
  2. ...awesome story, you'll cherish these memories forever,..hope you hang on to Sam for a long time, looks like a friendly ol truck....I've had mine for over 15 years now...
    cokers 007.jpg

Tim, NoSurf, Torkwrench and 15 others like this.
  3. belair

belair

One of the FEW cars I regret letting go was my 50 Chevy three window. Those ADs are hard not to love.

Roothawg, F-ONE, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - good to have the family back together

F-ONE, Hombre, osage orange and 2 others like this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The friendly old truck, I like that, nice story.

6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

This is one of those very,very rare times you would ever here me say leave it as is. But with that kind of history even I could not touch it. There are still plenty of "no name" " no history" projects out there for guys like me to build. Just keep the old man safe and warm and drive him! Larry

F-ONE, Hombre, osage orange and 2 others like this.
  7. Congratulations on the reunion. HRP

F-ONE, Hombre, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Mmmmmm... I wonder if that would work for me ? Ribs too. :D

F-ONE, Hombre and osage orange like this.
  9. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Thanks, all. This one won't be altered a lot. I will probably fix the rust out and likely paint it, but intend to keep it somewhat close to original. It's been modified at some point in its life by having its factory 216 pulled and replaced with a full pressure 235. I intend to fix what has to be fixed, and drive it. The rear end might get swapped for open driveline, but if it is, it'll still have an old Sm420 four speed in it.
    I know this though- anything done will be a piece at a time and it'll stay on the road the whole time. It's been kept in running condition its entire life and I'm not about to be the one to change that.
    I've already collected a nice straight painted grill for it and one of the front fenders...

10. Great truck I had one in the 60's, doors always fell open on the turns, hang on.

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Dadgum, Bob, great story! I miss hanging out in your neck of the woods, and especially am jealous you went to Rivertown BBQ. They do know ribs! I am happy for you, my friend!

12. Jay71

Jay71

Great story! I swear that truck is smiling in the pic of it going down the highway!

13. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Duncan! Drive down, I'll drive over and ribs are on me, my friend. Might even get some of those stuck up Conway guys to come along..

Well, it was coming back to the Promised Land from the wilds of Oklahoma..LOL. I know the driver was smiling the whole way...

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Bob, here is my '53 and me, taken 40 years ago!
    img041.jpg

Tim, guthriesmith, norms30a and 10 others like this.
  15. silverdome

silverdome

Is Sam the old farmer that you bought him from still around? If so go pick him up and take him for a ride. I'll bet he'd being smiling too.

clem, Hombre, 6-bangertim and 3 others like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool truck.
    Great story.
    For some reason, I suddenly have a craving for green eggs and ham this morning.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre, osage orange and five-oh like this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hombre, osage orange and bobss396 like this.
  18. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

My old farmer friend is still alive, but is 94 and almost completely blind as well as being nearly deaf. I have every intention of running over within the next week or so, but to be honest I don't know how well it will go. A few months ago, he was still mentally sharp, but between the eyesight and the hearing, it was difficult to hold much of a conversation.
    He's a believer and he would talk to me briefly, then smile and say "Ain't God good, son?" When the inevitable happens, I'm sure gonna miss him, even though I don't see him often now.

19. Gutsy to take the ride home like that in an old truck, but you had some back up. What the hell? Glad everyone had fun with it. I like the old SM420 box, every one sang a different tune.

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Good for you man on the truck .....

That being said ....

You get to a certain point in your life ( age) where every day is a good day.

Balljoint, 1stGrumpy, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  21. greener200

greener200

Fuckin aaaaaa ,nothing like takin a family member home ,,,,,even if it's been out on it's own for a while . That's Awsum . Very happy for you and yours. Enjoy !

22. silverdome

silverdome

He could probably close his eyes and just take in the smell and rumblings of that old truck and know he was taking a ride in his old truck. Then he'd smile and say "Ain't God good, son?" and you'd reply, why yes sir he is.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cared for 92 year old Lee and Norma until their passing, 6 weeks apart. They were the sweetest people ever. Norma passed first. When Lee was getting close, I was laying next to him... we were holding hands... he was kind of there and kind of not there.
    I said to him...
    God is good, huh?
    Lee replied...
    God is GREAT!
    Pretty much, our last words.

kpmunt, hotrodA, Balljoint and 11 others like this.
  24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

five-oh, if you can, take a picture or two or even a video when you go see Sam with the truck. But you might have your hands full otherwise. In that case, at least just share with us how it goes.

May I offer...
    I don't even think you'll need to "talk" with Sam. As silverdome alluded to, I hope that Sam being physically close to the truck will be enough. And I hope that Sam and you being physically close will be enough.

26. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I thought I'd update this a bit for those of you following. First , I was a tad off on Mr Sam the farmer's age- he is 92, and I am proud to say he is as sharp as ever mentally. Today, I took the day off of work and got the '52 licensed. This done, It was time to go reunite old friends..
    home on farm2.jpg

This is the farm that Sam the '52 has lived on for the majority of his life- and this is the gate that I nearly ran through when I bought it in 2007. (I hit the brakes, they went to the floor. I'd asked Mr Sam when he'd last checked the brake fluid and his response was "Well, son, if I needed to stop I just hit somepin.")

Mr Sam was sitting on the front porch when we arrived and was having a good day. His hearing seemed a bit better than before too. He'd recently gotten out of the hospital after a fall, but is still living by himself, and staying active as he can.
    When I told him I'd brought his old friend by to see him, he nearly set the world on fire to get out to the driveway to look. He patted the fenders, smiled, patted the dent on the back fender "a cow kicked that there"....and looked inside.
    sam inspecting sam.jpg

He opened the doors "just as solid as ever"... and kept saying "Lord, I hated to get rid of this truck."
    I asked him to pose for a couple of pictures and he was eager to do so: can't stop looking.jpg
    ...but he couldn't stop looking at his old friend and patting the fender.
    I did get a real good pic:
    reunited at last.jpg
    Mr Sam made me promise to "bring him back over when he's shiny and pretty"
    He approved of the color choice ( a bright blue, I'd painted a wheel to show him)
    and made a pact with me- I have to have it done for his 100th birthday so he can take a ride in the old truck.
    Mr Sam told me that he'd bought Church Street Grocery after coming home from the war (Korean) , probably sometime in the late 50's, and used this old truck to deliver groceries. He didn't buy it new, but "it weren't real old, neither."
    He'd retired the truck to the farm sometime in the late 70's or early 80s and used it there. It was his favorite. He told me he still had "an ole ton and a half" and a couple of old Fords "out in the barn", and his old 9n tractors still ran, but he couldn't see well enough to use them anymore. He said he'd sold his other favorite, a 46 Willys Jeep, to a guy in Springfield a couple years ago, and they'd sent him a pic of it "bouncing across a field"
    I told him I'd bring him a pic of him and his old truck soon for him to display, and he clapped his hands and said "that'll be great".
    That, my friends, made today nearly a better day than bring the old truck home.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is totally awesome!! :)

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow.
    Now that brought a tear to the eye of this old fart. Thanks for sharing. I have to say, if you do plan to show him the truck all pretty, you better get your ass moving. Eight years is a long time for a 92 year old.
    I think you really pleased him by bringing it back all crusty. He wont have the sentiment if he doesn't recognize it.
    Thanks so much for sharing this great story.

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang... that was just...
    that was just...
    ... Dang.

Thanks, five-oh.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And yeah, like Pete Joe said, hurry up LOL.
    But what you did today was important and I think enough.
    I hope you get to share more with him though, as you continue to improve the truck.

chryslerfan55, silverdome and Hombre like this.