Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Horn contacts with old stock columns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FNG, Jun 30, 2019.

1. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Wondering if anyone has came across this before or solved this small but yet important issue, building a car I realize some small details get overlooked but one in particular thats been bugging me is retaining my stock wheel and column coupled to a modern steering box and being able to use the stock horn ring etc. On my 48 Plymouth like many old cars the horn wire is located inside the steering shaft and goes directly to the steering box. Anyone ever adapt a modern horn set up to an old column, i have an idea about using contact rings and an insulator of some sort but am always curious to see what others have done.

Thanks for your input and NO a horn button on the side of the column is not an option

2. BJR

BJR

Get the horn contractor from an early 50's Willys Jeep, CJ 2 or 3A. Run the wire down inside the steering shaft to just behind the dash where you can get to it. Slip a piece of plastic pipe that is a tight fit over the steering shaft and use a copper pipe union over the plastic pipe. Drill a hole in the shaft just above the copper fitting, run the wire through the hole and solder to the copper fitting. Drill a hole in the jacket so the Jeep horn contactor rubs on the copper fitting. Done I think early 50's Fords used the same set up IIRC. Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 4.58.44 PM.png

alchemy likes this.
  3. I’ve got that for my 48 Plymouth.

4. Looks like the stock piece on my 49 chevy truck

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Thanks not what I was thinking but it will definitely do

6. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Scotty T would you mind sending me a few pics, thanks

7. Sort but it’s not yet installed, I could take pics of the parts if you want me to tho

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done many similar to what BJR said. I use a 1" copper sleeve on the shaft with thick shrinkon to insulate then drill the shaft and bring wire out and solder. Then insert a contact button into the column for wire connection.