Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help finding an ignition/headlight combo switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Jun 30, 2019.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

View attachment 4336797 I would like to find a 12v. switch for my single seat project that is an ignition and head light switch in one unit. The more utilitarian the better. I know stock model T had an all in one switch but don't know if that would work. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    I did find this one on ebay that is sort of what I'm looking for. image.jpg View attachment 4336797

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  2. The Sears lawn tractor at the church has a key switch with headlight and start/run positions.

Phil

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks, I forgot to say I would like to keep it vintage looking. The newest part on the car is 1950.

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. The vintage MG's had that style switch. Had one on my 52 TD many years ago. You can use either a 6 or 12 volt switch as the amp draw with 12 volts is half what it is using 6 volt. The switch does not care.
    Jimmie

5. alchemy

alchemy

Lucas, prince of darkness!

6. If you find what you want and it's rated for 6-V use it to run the ground for 12-V hidden relays. This will take all the actual electrical power out of the switch and it will last forever. Both Snyders and Mack's have new Model T switches on there sight. It would work just fine.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You might investigate a vintage aircraft style magneto switch.....typically ‘off’...’rt’...’lt’...’both’.
    It would probably have to used with relays because the switch grounds the magneto to ‘turn it off’. Merely a thought....some of the automotive types mentioned in prior posts are probably more suitable.

I followed your build thread.....like your car.

Ray

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you planning on having the lights on all the time or just at certain times?
    All the time the car is running you could wire a relay to the ignition switch that activated the lights. No noticeable load on the switch.
    If you are just after the clean no clutter look, a hidden toggle switch under the dash where you can reach it with your finger tips will work or you could wire a toggle switch into the lead to the relay from the ignition switch to be able to turn the lights off if you wanted.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

John Deere farm tractors of the late 40's early 50's had a switch you could use. My 1947 John Deere M for example.

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Not planning on lights all the time, I'm looking more for the compact size and to me it suits the race car vibe I'm looking for.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just hide the headlight switch out of site but in easy reach and call it good then. No clutter, no fuss and not much expense.

12. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

On the switch you pictured the key lock is the ignition and the handle for lights operates separate to the ignition for those not familiar with this type. Jimmie

13. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Harley Davidson .

off -
    on without lights -
    on with lights

separate push button starter

Bandit Billy and Hnstray like this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks for the responses so far guys anyone else have some suggestions?

15. Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

17. I haven't seen your build so no idea if this is even close for looks but Henry made two styles of his T switch. It comes mounted to the plate and to the right is a hole for his Amp gauge. Ones painted and one is S.S.
    64-55624.jpg 64-55628.jpg

18. So did some Hillmans and Sunbeams :)
    [​IMG]

19. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

That Lucas is currently the switch i’m using w/relays. Works for me. Probably would have put it in a different spot if I were to do it again.

Attached Files:

20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That looks kool! I'm not a wiring guy by any means are the relays for the lights?

Attached Files:

21. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

Yeah, the headlights are on a relay, and the key activates the coil, and relay for the fuel pump.