Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How often do you guys find one of these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tomincanada, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Tomincanada

Tomincanada
    from b.c.

I walked outside this morning to find a note on my truck,

"Im interested if you are selling your ride" and some contact info.

I was just wondering how often everyone else gets these?

2. It happens regularly, and I live in a small enough community that everyone should know that I will never sell the truck. What is quite ironic, is that most of them don't even know what brand or model it is.

Tomincanada likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be careful...;)...if you are interested and follow up meet at a public location discuss the details and feel it out...and good luck.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. I have had a lifetime of experience with people that have been attempting to piss on my boots and tell me it's raining.

5. Yep.... And I was willing to sell...

Win... Win!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Probably someone with a bunch of free Nigerian money from a prince.

7. 270ci

270ci

Well, I acquired my 46 Ford that way, but that was years ago. Had seen the car around town and wondered who owned it. Then one day it was parked on the side of the highway going out to my place, so I turned around and scrawled a short note on the back of my business card and left it under his windshield wiper. Next day, the car was gone. I didn't hear from the guy till about a year later. He had kept my card in the glove box from the day he was sidelined with some ignition trouble, and when he decided to sell he remembered my note and called me. Not that many scammers then...in fact, the word scammer was not in use yet!

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to get them about once a month on my 51 Merc when I was driving it regularly. Probably even more when I had it stored where I live now. One guy towed a trailer 170 miles from Portland just sure he was going to get a 51 Merc from a farmer for pennies on the dollar. Once in a while with the truck but not near as often as the Merc.

9. Usually the notes on my car or truck just ask me not to park it where people can see it..

tltony, ffr1222k, NoSurf and 23 others like this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I still get them left on my '55 F100. (it's in faded black primer now, so looks like it's 'beaterish'..."Probably get it cheap!"

Used car scouts used to leave a card under a windshield wiper in the mid-to late '50s, into the '60s, I guess, too...

"I have a prospect for this type car. If you are interested in trading it in, I'll make you a good offer..."
    The print was in Italics, so at a glance, it looked like it was handwritten.

One was left on my Mom's mildly fixed up '48 Cad in '55 or so, the card was 'intriguing', so into my drawer it went.
    When she got her '56 Ford ragtop, another card was left under the wiper...Same card as the first, but the agent's name was different.
    ...from one of my many A.D.D. collections...

11. trollst

trollst

Yes, got one three separate times on my 36, kinda flattering.

12. Never happens to me.:(

13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I used to get them often on my 68 firebird 400. Living in a college town I always figured most were college kids.

Had a huge, no, extremely huge oak tree fall on it in a storm. By 6:30 the next morning I had 3 different guys beating on my door wanting to buy it.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back in 2001 I built a really high end steel 32 highboy roadster and the first show I took it to was Back to the Fifties. I parked it behind the hotel to go in and unpack and when I got back outside later there was business card on the seat saying I am going to buy your roadster. I blew it off and went and registered and went to the show and came back in the evening, went out to dinner and when I got back this man was sitting in front of the car with a beer waiting to make a deal. 2 weeks later the car was on it's way to California. After that I treat every potential buyer with respect.

Tim, j3harleys, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  15. I get this kind occasionally......
    note.jpg

16. metalman

metalman

I've gotten them time to time, mostly on old cars I've used as daily drivers. Called one guy, said sure I'd sell it if the price was right. He asked how much told him 5 would take it, he countered with $400. I said no and by the way, 5 meant 5 thousand. He freaked, said "5 Thousand for an old station wagon?!" This was in the late 70's when old wagons were still around and cheap, guess he didn't know what a 56 Nomad even was.

jvo, 49ratfink, 59Apachegail and 2 others like this.
  17. I got one on my blotchy red 64 corvette coupe...said "Sorry I hit your car"...name, phone number and address. I walked around it to find a fist sized hole in the left fender. Next morning I called the number to find a 16 year old kid had backed his mom's mazda wagon into it...they had good insurance.
    Long story short, after I kicked $100 in, the local corvette repair guy stripped it and changed the paint to black. It came out gorgeous! Glad I didn't toss the note away that night.
    64vette1972.jpg

Tim, Ron Funkhouser, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I left way more than I received.

19. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I get people wanting to buy my 41 regularly. Guys who watch too many TV shows thinking they can pick up my truck for cheap and make a huge profit on my time and money.
    One guy asked me what I would consider. Told him $25,000 and I would start considering. Since that is about what I put in it.
    He gave me this sob story how he wasn't doing very well financially but could swing $8,000.00 cash.
    Told him he might find a project for that but it won't buy my finished truck.
    He got all pissed off that I was not going to take $8000.00 from him.
    Even though I felt like slamming the hood on his head. I just gently closed it, walked away, and got a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. I get notes like this "If this vehicle is not removed within 24hours it will b deemed to be abandoned and towed away".

j3harleys, 62rebel, raven and 3 others like this.
  21. Never2low

Never2low

In the front lot of Louisville, circa '05-'06, I remember looking at a drop dead gorgeous, black, '47 or '48 Merc wagon, red leather, top notch wood work, and IIRC it have a full Vette chassis and running gear.
    Small note under the wiper "name your price, have cash, on grounds" and a cell number.

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

They dont want your truck. They think they can sell it for an enormous profit

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. AZbent

AZbent

I had an OT truck, people would knock on the door and ask if it was for sale. I always told them it was, just make me an offer that I couldn't resist. Most of the time, they got the idea that it wasn't going to be cheap like they was hoping for.

24. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

My grandma had a '67 Nova my grandpa bought out of the dealers showroom. My grandpa drove a '62 Chevy wagon and did most of the driving in the wagon. A few years after buying the Nova my grandpa died and my grandma rarely drove the Nova except an occasional trip to the grocery store. The times she drove it there couldn't even be a hint of rain and never, ever in the winter, stayed in the garage from October to May. When my parents would go to her house she tell my dad someone stopped her the store parking lot and offered to buy the car. She told this to us on a regular basis and we just blew her off. During the winter, if the roads were dry my dad would take the car out on the freeway to blow the carbon out of it. On day we're driving down the street and stop at a stop light and car pulled up on the passenger side and the guy starts honking his horn and motioning for me to roll down the window. When I do he starts yelling, $5000 as she sits!", my grandparents paid less than $4500 new. My dad informed him the car belonged to his mother-in-law and wasn't for sale. The car was treated this way until the late '70s, never seen snow, hardly any rain and had 15K miles. My uncle, who is the same age as me and spoiled beyond belief, got his driver's license and proceeded to beat the hell out of the car. Within 10K he had run the engine out of oil a couple of times and was able to bang up every body panel including the roof. He ended up junking the car with around 25K on the odometer.

25. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

That's depressing.

alanp561 likes this.
  26. It's funny, I don't get any notes. But they do stop by, and ring the door bell. And then ask if the old { rr } is for sell. They never ask about the Nomad or Delivery. Just the 29 coupe. I guess because it's in primmer, they probably think it can be bought cheap. I try to be polite, and tell them that it's not for sale. But they still think that I have to put a price on it. Little do they realize, of all my Rods, it would be the last one to ever go. I need to put a sign on it { THIS IS NOT AN ABANDONED CAR } Lol Ron...

Just Gary likes this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a local story about a guy who goes out to get into his truck and drive to work but it's dead. Opens the hood to find the battery missing and a note in it's place;

"I'm so sorry to have taken your battery, I have a new job and I couldn't afford to be late. I will make up for this I swear"

The next day and a new battery later, the same guy finds a note on his truck with 2 tickets to the Trail Blazer game in Portland that night;

"I said I would make it up, please accept these court side seats for the inconveniences I caused you"

The guy and his wife went to the game that evening and came home to find his house emptied of all their belongings.

Note to self...disregard notes left on car.

28. In 1986 I drove my '65 Corvette Coupe to Corvettes at Carlisle.. The car had a fresh paint job and other than that it was pretty much an original car with 97,000 miles (I was 3rd owner). I parked in the "Corvette Only Parking" area within the Carlisle compound.

No kidding, I had 16 "call me if you want to sell" notes on the windshield and driver door.

Tri-power37 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  29. Tomincanada

Tomincanada
    from b.c.