Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical U-Joint Lubrication

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by knuckinfutts, Jun 29, 2019.

1. knuckinfutts

knuckinfutts
    from michigan

How do you fill the Bell on a torque tube driveline? I know the bushing and u joint need lubrication just not sure how to get it there

2. Drive down a steep hill

3. knuckinfutts

knuckinfutts
    from michigan

Pretty sure that won’t do the trick but points for creativity lol

Stllrng. likes this.
  4. KenC

KenC

Chevy, Ford, Buick????

5. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

All of the above.

6. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I have a 1946 ford and it has a grease zert, hard to get to, on the passengers.

7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

On my ford it has a grease zerk on the collar. I just pumped grease in there until it filled the speedo hole in the tube.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

On the bottom of the lower clam shell half that fits around the bell of the torque
    tube there is a zerk fitting that is accessible with a grease gun. You can also drill and tap the top bell and install a fitting that will poke upward thru the transmission cover. Or, some folks switch the clam shell positions.The original ford made lube for the U-joint is no longer avaialble. John Deere Corhhead grease is now used. Go to Fordbarn and do a search on U-Joint Grease or John Deere Cornhead Grease and lots of info appears . That blue thing in the photo is the neoprene grease seal sold on ebay. Much better than stock cork seal.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243979&highlight=joint+grease

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Some Chevrolets have a 1/8'' pipe plug on top of the u-joint cavity, but gear oil runs in thru the rear bearing. If the trans is full, the u-joint is lubed.

10. knuckinfutts

knuckinfutts
    from michigan

I am actually working on a Chevy but also have a ford so all of this information is extremely helpful. Thanks everyone for the knowledge.