Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lending a helping hand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 29, 2019.

1. I got a phone call this morning from a gentleman who was broke down on the interstate but had made it to the rest area about 16 miles from me, he said he had a old NSRA fellow pages and saw I lived in Anderson, South Carolina so thought he would try calling.

I ask what the problem was and he said he thought it was the alternator, so I grabbed few tools and took off, I found him parked in the shade and introduced myself, they were on their way to Charleston for his wife to have treatments at the medical university.

Jim looked to be in his 80's driving a very nice '57 Chevy, when I opened the hood it didn't take long to find the problem, the fix was simple the bolt that holds the alternator bracket was loose and alternator had slid and the belt was about to come off, I suppose the fellow was just tired and worried about his wife and just didn't know what to do, when I was sure the alternator was charging, I sent them on their way.

He wanted to pay me for the help but I refused and told him I had been helped in the past and I am just paying it forward. HRP

2. moonman29

moonman29

61Cruiser, chargin03, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Good on you.....karma baby!

4. ken bogren

ken bogren

You're a good man HRP, and a tribute to the old car hobby.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Always enjoy helping out others when I can also. Good on you HRP!!!
    We do need to be more on the look out for fakes now days,so not too be taken.

6. Slopok

Slopok

Good feeling for both of you I'm sure!:)

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Your ears will burn for days. The gentleman telling about the young man coming to his rescue. Salatue to HRP

8. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Good for you HRP. You have a blessing coming your way. A lot of people would have charged the man to help him. Thank You from Kentucky for what you done. Ray...

9. I would like to think the majority of the Hambers have or will help someone that is having car trouble, I was able to help a fellow Hamber several years ago. HRP

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Randy D, Saxman, spiffy1937 and 7 others like this.
  10. jim snow

jim snow

As someone that has been on both ends of this deal. Good on you. Karma Dan. Snowman

11. You and I both Jim, and thank you. HRP

Deuces and ct1932ford like this.
  12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

The fellow pages have helped me a couple of times and allowed me to help someone once. There has never been a time when either myself or someone traveling with me has needed help that there has not been help come along. It usually has led to a pleasant experience.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - the way that it is supposed to be done, right? - of course you have to be careful for yourself - years back a OT car was stalled at a traffic signal in the middle lane - stop to see if I could help push it to side off road - we both pushed - at one point he had to jump in to steer - pushed by myself - when he was out of harms way I went to walk away and both of my legs froze up and just fell forward - in trying to stop myself my left forearm took the brunt of the fall - had to go to Doctor to check out - chipped bone in elbow - had arm in a sling for a while - lucky that my Boss gave me work to do for a one arm bandit - guy with disabled car never checked on me

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. brady1929

brady1929

Very nice of you, HRP!

15. [QUOTE="
    We do need to be more on the look out for fakes now days,so not too be taken.[/QUOTE]

And THAT is a crying shame.

Thanks HRP, for being you.

Ben

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, knowing you ,I'm not at all surprised at your response to a cry for help.
    But I'm also concerned for your safety in these changing times and attitudes from what you and I grew up in.
    Might consider next time taking a friend along on these rescue missions?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Good on ya Danny!
    By the way, I need help..........lots of help.;)

catdad49, 61Cruiser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I am about the same age as you Danny and I have also been on both sides of helping out and being helped. These days I am a little more careful when walking up to a stranded motorist, I probably have locked my wallet in my car and have a little something in my pocket just in case. I hate it that the times have changed so much but you never know what you might get into.

Deuces, olscrounger, raven and 2 others like this.
  19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a shame we've come to that, but in these times, I'd take two friends - Smith and Wesson !

20. 6sally6

6sally6

Sounds like you're "one-of-the-good-guys!"
    Nice job.
    6sally6

21. Latigo

Latigo

22. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Nice work HRP!! A month ago there was a thread about helping others and the protection cameras give those that do stop to help. I bought two camera sets (front and rear) and should have one installed this week. In your case seeing the relief of his face when you fixed it would have been worth the cost!! Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Danny, this is no surprise! I agree, all the HAMBers I have met, I belive would do the same. Saying a prayer for the Gentleman's Wife and a safe return trip!

catdad49, The37Kid, 48fordnut and 3 others like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thread to read first thing on a Sunday morning. Food for the soul.

Sometimes we help, sometimes vicey-vercy. No man is an island. We all need and support each other more than we realize... in so many ways. It's the best part of life. We all need to take good care of ourselves and be the best we can be... so that we'll be in good position to help others when the need arises. And in doing so, we are the recipients. May it always be our purpose... our obligation... our joy and fulfillment even.

Danny, thank you for being the person that you are and setting such a fine example. I'm happy to call you and everybody here, friend.

Everybody have a good Sunday!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Fantastic, well done! I have found that nothing makes you feel better than helping some one in need. Except maybe when you are the one being helped. Restores your faith in humanity.

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that is a great story! Fellow pages, who knew? Well done Danny.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've lost track of how many people I have helped over the years. I hand made a retaining pin for a kid who was repairing his brakes in the Safeway grocery store parking lot out of a nail a while back when after hauling him to two parts houses we couldn't find one. Pulled my floor jack out of the trunk for another guy with a flat in the same parking lot one day when he didn't have a jack that was worth a hoot in the car. (bought used wrong jack) .
    I used to be in the fellow pages years ago but you would end up calling the wrong number on that back when my NSRA membership number was 1551. That was when I lived in Texas.

I don't think I'd be too worried about someone who called me from an old fellow page book.

I've been on the other end too. Had a guy haul me to a parts house and back to the truck when I was broke down on the side of the road a few years ago with the 48. He even stayed with me until I got it back together and fired up.

29. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

good job Danny. NSRA Fellow Pages are a must to have

30. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Good deeds are done from the heart and they help you sleep good at night....

Deuces, dirt t, wraymen and 2 others like this.