Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who can cast aluminum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercDeuceMan, Jun 28, 2019.

1. I need a good recast of a broken sand casting I have.
    Anyone on here know who can do something like this?

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Latigo

Latigo

You might do a search on “casting aluminum” There was a thread on this awhile back. You might get a lead from that.

3. Thanks, I'll do that

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

It depends a lot on how complex the part is. To make a casting you need a pattern. Because aluminum and every other metal shrinks while solidifying it’s not as simple as using the old part as a pattern. In just about all cases patterns now are made using CNC machining. It is also possible to make patterns utilizing 3D printing. However either way it would require a CAD model. This technology is not cheap. In years past you might have found a pattern maker to make a wood pattern by taking measurements from the casting you have. But as a skilled trade those guys are few and far between now. Depending on how complex the part is it may be more cost effective to have something machined from billet. It would be helpful to know what kind of part you are talking about and the appropriate sizes.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    pitman and Deuces like this.

5. That Jonathan W guy on U Tube. cast the crankcase for a motorcycle engine. He has some very good videos showing how He done it

Deuces likes this.
  6. Toner283

Toner283

Look up a guy called "Crafty B" on youtube and/or instagram. He teaches classes on sandcasting and has several tutorials on youtube.

ls1yj and Deuces like this.
  7. 34Phil

34Phil

Can it be welded?

8. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Deuces

Deuces

The company I work for.....
    Line Precision Inc.
    1-248-474-5280
    Just tell them Guido sent ya! ;)

Here's one we did for Mopar Performance including making the casting and doing all the machining.... That's yours truly in the picture...:rolleyes::D 131734275958817.jpg

10. Nice work, Guido.:D;)

OLSKOOL57, kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  11. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Bedsled here on the HAMB

12. Deuces

Deuces

Thank you sir.... We probably did around 200 of those intakes for Ma Mopar.... And they loved them... :)
    Right now, we're working on some prototype cast aluminum oil pans for Chrysler... Sorry, I can't post pictures of those... It's top secret! ;)

OLSKOOL57, XXL__ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

How about cyclone Kevin

brEad likes this.
  14. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

A picture of the part would help.

lothiandon1940, Deuces and Old wolf like this.
  15. Can you post up a photo of what the broken part looks like? I know of a small foundry that could do this kind of work but as mentioned above the work involved getting to the point of casting the actual part is a pretty big project. That can translate into a lot of $$$.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

If the part is simple enough, he can glue it together, add a little bondo in key places to account for shrinkage, and a foundry can cast right from his original. Then it's just a bit of machine work to get back to his original size.

Yes, we need pictures.

17. The OP hasn't posted in over 24 hours. No pictures and no description. apparently whatever he needs casted is a big secret.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Subscribe

Deuces likes this.