Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's with the Corvette guys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My father owned Vettes for 50+ years straight and he couldn't stand other Vette guys, and LOOK OUT if a few of them gathered around his 59 and started nit picking things!!

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

It's our time to be wasted and I think that I'll waste some more.

wraymen, williebill and Deuces like this.
  3. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

My first car at 18 was a 56 Chevy northern salt rust bucket that had a 2 hour restoration and reborn as a Earl Schieb bondo baby
    Bought it on a grocery store bag boy salary but
    not too many years later, and after some edumacation and lots of overtime hours, I was able to buy my first dream car - a 65 Vette 365HP 4speed that helped me graduate from Drivers Ed at least 3 times in order to keep my license. I think it was a option to keep points off the license - don't remember the details.

In the last fifty years I have owned/restored or built MGs, Jags, Porsches, MuscleCars, VWs, Vans, Volvos, Mercedes, 35 to 40 Fords, Hot Rod Trucks and SUVs,.

My most recent purchase is a former NHRA 57 Vette driver that is a bit ratty but goes fast and is loud.
    So does that make me Corvette guy or a car guy that likes Vettes?

I think the "special wave" thing started with the British sports car in the 50s - at least that's what I remember from owning the British cars.
    The only people I wave at are neighbors and no I don't have a Corvette hat, shirt, or jacket.

robracer1, 31hotrodguy, bowie and 2 others like this.
  4. The issue is Corvette owners are very rarely car guys anymore. At one time a used Corvette was with in reach of a blue collar guy.
    Now the new ones are stupid money even used, and as such have become play things of the gold chain pinky ring crowd.
    The old one are viewed as investments and not driven.
    My dad (70 years old) tells me about guys buying them off used car lots doing engine swaps, bolting on headers ect...
    He also remembers a Rochester Injection Unit being used as a door stop at Don Allen Chevrolet in Albany N.Y.
    About 20 years ago we were at a nostalgia drag race, a man was hammering a 58 four speed Corvette my father and I went over and talked to him about it.
    He said he bought the car in 1960 and "I am a Chevy guy not a Corvette guy."

Why can't more Corvette owner be like @Moriarity?

5. Slopok

Slopok

Jeep people wave at each other "It's a JEEP thing".:)

6. J53

J53
    from WI

Deuces and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Yeah, that was me. Only two though. I've never owned a belly button high-boy or a black '40 coupe with orange and yellow flames and red rims. I have no interest in a 'glass 34 with a (internally stock) small block Chevy crate motor, chrome wire wheels and drum brakes all around so it's still trad. Excuse me now, I have to go look for another Corvette and a friendly hot rodder.

Let me qualify that last sentence. My son and I cruised into a drive-in on
    Chicago's south side, a place called the Frosted Mug. The place would be
    lousy with street rods and it'd be car heaven for rodding gearheads and a
    few musclecar owners. Anyway, the kid and I pull in with my built Mustang
    to check out the cars and take photos. While walking through he saw a '57
    Chevy ragtop. You know the kind...black, white top, twin antennae on the
    quarters, continental kit, white walls and skirts and most likely a tissue
    holder. Not my kind of vehicle, but since I had owned a '57 previously we
    checked it out and I was answering the kid's questions. The owner of the
    the car came up and I expected to have a conversation with him. Instead,
    he looked at me and then the kid and said "Why don't you get the hell out
    of here". I know what I wanted to say but kept myself in check, but I sure
    felt foolish in front of the kid. We finished with a quick walk through but
    only because I didn't want the boy to think I'd been made a fool of. Just
    to add insult to injury, a couple of other rodders got a kick out of the
    scene and a chuckle to go with it. Think Corvette owners can be dicks?
    I'll agree, but the attitude permeates all groups, trad rodders, street
    rodders and hot rodders included. Most of you guys are proving the point
    right here.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no better donor car for your tri5 than a C4 Corvette. Even tho I'll never own either, when you look for the best bang for the buck in super cars the latest Corvette is hard to beat.

9. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

The guys that are complaining about ripping on the Corvette owners must have never played sports. That's what we do! I play hockey and we are merciless! And I mean team mates, not the other guys. If you have thin skin, the locker room is no place for you. Same goes for here.

tb33anda3rd, D-Russ and enloe like this.
  10. Super cars? All these modern cars are a bunch of wannabes.
    upload_2019-6-28_17-32-11.png upload_2019-6-28_17-32-54.png upload_2019-6-28_17-30-32.png upload_2019-6-28_17-30-47.png upload_2019-6-28_17-36-50.png upload_2019-6-28_17-34-36.png

traffic61, 31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  11. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Here’s the thing first I own a 39 Pontiac hot rod Frankenstein because I like to be different, this will explain why I have a distain for guys that buy new corvettes or any other kind of car and think they are instantly car guys .
    So that’s the first strike for me, unfortunately I find vette guys do this more often than most, and even if it is an older vette C1 or C2 etc, the owners tend to have some sort of elitist attitude about themselves, to the point I think it’s taught the minute your handed the keys to your new vette from the dealership , or your dad etc . It doesn’t seem to matter how you acquired the vette just somehow your a little better cause you got one. That strike 2
    Third, I don’t tolerate shitty behavior from snobby people, just like if I was at the show and saw the hot toddler you spoke about treating you and your boy that way I would had said something.
    Look I like vetted and hope that one day I could afford a C1 or C2 there beautiful cars, I’m just saying don’t be a douche, and if you own a car that has a stigma about the owners than don’t act so surprised when you deal like you have to defend your car buying decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. BJR

BJR

Most Corvette guys are not car guys. They don't work on their cars, don't know anything about them. just wrote the check. That's why they are a snooty bunch, they are part of the entitled bunch, living off of dadies money. Trust fund boys. If they had old cars, they would be gold chainers. Now this is not all of them so if you own a Vette, and don't fall into this group don't take offense. I owned a 1970 Vette back in 1974, and I bought it with my own money, so I know we are out there too. But we wave at other cool cars and don't have a board up our ass.:p

Deuces likes this.
  13. I spend time lurkng on a Corvette forum. In the section for the oldies. The are plenty of guys there who modify, race and work on their own cars, many every bit as talented and skilled as anyone here. Of course there are some there who will critique a trim tag for days and debate how much it will affect the value of their investment.

OLDSMAN and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes tri five owners can be the same way. They think that they are special too

15. logride

logride
    from CB IA

719055E5-2D0E-4D8D-88B8-E2A6D378437C.png E0E10FEF-9CCC-47E6-835F-C83D6B858E72.png Silk jacket corvette guys treat hot rodders the way hot rodders treat tuners.

16. ≤≤≤≤ look at my avatar, I must be the worst!

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I said they can be the same way. Years ago when at a show in Omaha there was a tri five show near by. A few of us decided to walk through and look at the cars. We were treated like shit, made a fast walk through and left. I just won’t go close to a tri five show anymore

Deuces and scotty t like this.
  18. prpmmp

prpmmp

Its been said before and can be said again,People are people,some nice and some not so! Pete

31hotrodguy, Finn Jensen and Deuces like this.
  19. chopped

chopped

The wife used to say when we had the 36 "it's the cool car they wave at, not the old folks in it"

20. robracer1

robracer1

ALMOST ALL NEWER MODEL Corvette guys are dick heads and sort of strange, I don't like to be around them.
    I have had 6 of them and found groups of enthusiasts that got Corvettes for there performance and handing and a plus it's a America sports car, my last one was a 2001 C5 that I own 12 years that I modified to a road racing suspension, 373 gear, 4 point roll bar and 550 HP plus more. I could take this car to a race track mostly Road Atlanta and run the Hell out of it then hop in it and drive to florida and in 6 gear at 70 mph get 34 mpg.
    I got to old and fat to get into it so I decided to sell It and got a 32 Ford roadster five years ago and found a new enthusiast group that are down right down to earth and group that I enjoy being with.
    The waving thing, when I got my first Vette in 73 I did the waving and join a Vette club which didn't last long because I figured out these people only got Vetts trying to show they had big dicks and money and didn't know or understand what the car was about, hell they did not know they had IRS or what it was.
    Do not bash Corvetts but bash the people that don't understand them they just have money and are in a fantasy world and think they are a famous race car driver, I guess a could have made this short and said most of them thing they are HOT SHIT but they are nothing but a cold BOOGER.
    Now when driving my 32 and a see a classic/hot rod I wave and I'm letting them know I like their ride and not that my dick is bigger than theirs,
    I know my statement will ruffle some feathers and I don't care, you may not care or like them which is fine but go drive any year Corvette see whats it about just make sure it has a clutch and the top down.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Dasheot and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

It's comments like the one above (by robracer) that make me wish the H.A.M.B. would
    institute a "thumbs-down" and "that's just plain ridiculous" rating along with the "like".

31hotrodguy and Tri-power37 like this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

No thanks!....:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. [QUOTE="logride, post: Silk jacket corvette guys treat hot rodders the way hot rodders treat tuners.[/QUOTE]
    ......and restorers treat rats....jeeps treat coal burners......harleys treat rockets.....etc. etc. etc. I like em all and we may need them all in the near future. Politics make strange bedfellows indeed.

31hotrodguy, logride, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  24. We've certainly had some fun on this thread at the expense of the Corvette crowd and I truly understand that there are dickheads among us in all genres of the car culture, not just Corvette people. My sage advice is listed below for all of us to strive for........... 10022018.jpg

25. Deuces

Deuces

Words to live by......

26. Sorry, I haven't read this thread. But I do know that I really like HOT RODs, and cool people. Corvettes and their owners can be both of these!:)

chevy57dude, enloe, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  27. Here's a true story....

Every year my local car club does the local parades in the surrounding small towns. A few years ago, a out-of-town Corvette club entered and was right in front of the club in the parade. Now, these were nearly all late-models, no older than five years with just a few older ones but none from the '50s, '60s, or '70s. A few of my club members tried to talk to them but got the cold shoulder. A couple of them did talk to a recent new member of ours, a recently-widowed woman in her '60s who bought a new 'Vette with the life insurance money from her departed husband. They told her she should join their club and stop hanging out with 'those losers'... That's a direct quote.

Anyway, I was the lead car for our club and was following their last car. Now this guy was put last because he had some sort of new exhaust system just installed on his new 'Vette and was going to 'demonstrate it'. We hear him bragging this up; Paid $5K and it's worth 50 HP! All stainless! Blah! Blah! Blah! He's also fully equipped with the shirt, jacket, etc...

So the parade starts and this guy starts stopping every 100 feet or so and revving the snot out of his 'Vette to 'show off' his exhaust. The sad part is it didn't even sound that good, had mostly a raspy tone to it. And besides the noise, he was stinking me out with his exhaust. I decided to answer him...

My car has a 'Oogah' horn. It was on the car when I got it and I'd get rid of it except people love it in parades (particularly little kids). Always brings smiles to faces, God knows why...

So after about the third time this guy stops and revs his motor, I mimic him with my horn; blow it in the same cadence, time, etc. He notices after a few times and tries to out-do me. I follow suit... But the crowd has noticed too, and they start laughing... A few more times, now the crowd is pointing and laughing. The guy gets pissed, flips me off. This was noticed too; he gets some boos and one of the foot cops walks out and has a conversation with him. You can see him shrink into his seat and no more revving his motor for the rest of the parade...

They haven't been back....

28. Not true! I don't discriminate who I flip the bird to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.