Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tires - tall and skinny or short and fat -your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's easier with blackwalls. Wide whites on the other hand...
    I like the big and little look but I don't care for 3" rear whitewalls and 1.5"ers up front. Delicate balance required.
    Agree on the white letters unless it is a rad 60's thing with polyglass rubber. That is a cool look on the right rig.

AHotRod, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. jim snow

jim snow

I’m with the short and skinny in the front. Tall and fatter in the back crew. Snowman

AHotRod, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. My wife collects shoes. I collect wheels. Lol So I change them around a lot. With the 354 I do need traction. But I just like BIG and little's. 20190627_093108.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. You and me both. HRP

Ned Ludd, OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  5. Tall and skinny. HRP

[​IMG]

6. And another one. HRP

[​IMG]

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My roadster is built in my image so the tires are a little fat in the back, and short and thin out in front
    upload_2019-6-27_10-35-23.png

8. Tall and Skinny for me

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. I agree, White walls need to be balanced. That is why I am running 6:00's up front instead of 5:50's. The smaller tires do not have the extra wide whitewalls. IMG_1916 (2).JPG

10. Raunchy

Raunchy

60's look for me, never any whitewalls. It's what I grew up with.

11. I'll shake it up little skinny whites, skinny on the back with wide whites, it must be populaar I have had a lot of people pm me asking the sizes. HRP

[​IMG]

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet! Whitewalls, white roof insert, white headliner...and what isn't white is shiny black! Perfect. Nice work on the tires too, that is what I was talking about. Those are big whites, what is the width of those whitewalls?

13. { Raunch } I was the same way. I hated WW's back in the 60's and 70s. I now like them. But I'll just change them around for a different look.:eek: 20190627_093443.jpeg 20190519_123527.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

So many get the hole tire thing wrong. Some time rules some need,end of the 1950,tires/mostly 15in rim type had been getting wider as engines were getting more HP=V8s with overhead valves started to be really awesome at the end of 1940s and early 1950s. That bigger HP also pushed tire tread up,so tread went from around 4in. wide in mid 40s,up to around 5 n 6 in. wide by early 50s. That kept on,an 7in. an then 7.5in.* tread width by early 60s.
    Hot rodders were fully keen on tire bit by width,so if we had a OHV V8,we sure as hell did not use a rear tire that was skinny ass ,around 4in. wide tread with our OHV V8 on the rear................ Now days it's kind of EZ to fine 8 and 9,even 10in.+wide,that stuff was racing only for a long time,.

The front was a def. story,with a Ford straight axle designed for a skinny tire that was lite lbs. on a rim with low scrub,was the only way the front ended worked right{still is }=so little an big was not a fade,it was engineering fact.!

If you see a hot rod today,that is styled to be 1950s up to early 1960s with overhead valve V8,an you see same size thin tread tires all the way around on all four rims=That guy lives in a bubble now days of BS,has his time frame mixed up. If he has a flathead V8 fine,thin tread width gets the pass on the rear,but by late 50s even souped flatheads were getting as much bit as they could.

Wide whites are another over used bubble of BS today on wrong time frame rods an customs. I understand just liking them,but knowing were they really fit in time is good. I see some say;thin white walls are crap;Well by early 1960s,wide white were the crap an thins were very much the thing to have on rods an customs. Now days I still like black wall,they always had there place,with me,white walls of any type cost extra,so black was not if I liked it better then,but it was what I could buy. Now I just like black better cuz its what I had then.
    Yes,, I built an drove hot rods my self in the late 1950s an early 1960s,so I was there an did it this way,still do.
    Happy hot rodding !

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  15. Thanks, the rears are 7:50'x 16 W/W is 4-1/4" The fronts are 6:00 x 16 W/W is 3-1/4" Fronts are mounted on 3-1/2 " wide v8 60 rims. Every car is different. What works on one , will not on another.

16. Tall skinnys all the way around. HRP

[​IMG]

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Tall and skinny,short and fat doesn’t matter as long as she’s agreeable

Somebody had to say it.

18. Tall & skinny

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Tall and skinny front & rear. HRP

[​IMG]

20. 34Larry

34Larry

Big fat stuff in the rear, small skinny stuff in the front, especially on cars with "steering by by armstrong".
    Now running: Front 195/50R15's.......Rear 285/70R 15's.
    I need to go to 4" or 4.5" (wide) wheels and tires in front but need help from some real knowledgeable wheel/tire guys. Not saying that's good for all guys but that's my way of seeing the world.
    Really not a fan of tall skinny on anything.

deadbeat, 3W JOHN and Just Gary like this.
  21. My old friend Marshall likes that style. HRP

[​IMG]

22. 4speed411

4speed411

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

I grew my addiction for hot rods from the mid60 dirt track cars. Fat and tall, all around, because having that short skinny right front tire with the other 3 fat and wide just doesn't work on the street. I'm running 225 75 R x 15 on my coupe, tread width measures over 8" wide on the 7" wheels. Gene

AHotRod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Back in Peoria in 1970, fat tires was where it was at. HRP

[​IMG]

25. Another on from Peoria. HRP

[​IMG]

26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

HRP;
    T looks a lot like Loren Richards' hand-hewn little jewel. really trick for the time.
    Your friend Marshalls' rear tire looks close, but a bit short? Do you know what brand?
    Anybody know of a tire that approximate the old 10x16(x31) slick w/o actually being a slick? maybe in 15" rim size? Near perfect look for the era cars I'd like to build.
    Searched most tire sizes/vendors, still haven't found one. Would like the fairly sharp-edged look on tire, instead of the well-rounded look of most radials. Don't like bias-ply, hate the pie-crusts.
    TIA. Marcus...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. GeeRam

GeeRam

That's pretty much the same combo I've gone for on my 32 3w

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Sorry, I haven't seen the car in several years, Knowing Marshall I would think they would be something like the old Road Huggers. HRP