Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Pickup Rebuild Thread UPDATED 1/11/16

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dennis Lacy, Apr 5, 2015.

1. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Awesome build thank you for spending the time and sharing it with us

2. Bader2

Bader2

Im building a deuce tudor right now,i find myself referencing this thread alot for the small details,would be great to be able to reference an open book on the bench! Great info Dennis,thanks!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

IronFord likes this.
  3. banjorear

banjorear

Agreed! I just found this thread and printed out two copies. This is printed book worthy!

4. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

I disagree somewhat too.
    It's definitely more difficult but also very achievable. I've bought lots of traditional parts from all over the US and predominately from HAMB members. I've got an Aussie shipper that's based in LA and I get the parts sent there and they eventually arrive in Sydney and yes there are costs involved with the exchange rate and shipping fees etc.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still love reading this build of yours @ Dennis Lacy
    Ok on the front brakes you used Boling Brothers backing plates with the early 3/8 BP ,1940 drums , the small spacer on the spindle to step the hub out . So I may have missed it but did you use the 1940 style hubs also?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Yes

7. 97

Tim, if you look back to page one, post 28 there are two pics from the trans side of the K member which clearly show the 4 holes the mount bolts to.
    Mac Van Pelts site shows a good pic of the mount assembly
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_transID_3speed-rearmounts.htm

Tim likes this.
  8. glennpm

glennpm

Hi Dennis,

You do great work!

Can you tell me what master cylinder this is please. Is it a 1965 Mustang aluminum body? The cast steel has a 1" bore and the aluminum 21mm bore. I have a 39-48 MS in my home made setup which works good but am interested in more on the MS you use.

I'm also curious about the MS fitting sizes since I have 1/4". Are these for 3/16" lines on the Mustang or ?? unit?

Glenn

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

Great thread Dennis!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Dennis' profile shows that he was active on the HAMB classifieds yesterday but not on this thread, I've really have missed his great coverage of his truck build.
    Anybody know anything?

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

he’s active on social media, working at the shop and selling parts. Haven't seen much about the truck probably just driving it

loudbang likes this.
  12. uncle buck

uncle buck

I saw Dennis about a week ago at his shop wit his dad. He has it pretty much dialed in was driving it. He’s pretty busy with work and other stuff now.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

This I realize is an older thread & need to read back through it again to wrap my brain around all that was determined from so many in the know, however when using a bolt on upper spindle steering arm on a spring over 37 60 hp tube axle & spindles the usual hoop is too long so opted for the Super-bell forged but shorter slingshot of which is better looking anyway. My concern is how that shorter arm will affect steering/handling & if tweaking the arm forward to emulate the forward attitude of a 32 spindle would be of any consequence. Thanks, Ron

14. Mart

Mart

Shorter steering arm will make steering quicker and heavier. In a light car both should not be an issue.
    The forward tweak is desirable but not absolutely necessary. It is needed more if you do not have an adjustable drag link. If the draglink is adjustable then you might not notice any issue with it straight.
    The main objective is to align the sweet spot on the steering box with the straight ahead position of the wheels on a straight road.
    Mart.

sloppy jalopies and Irish Mike like this.
  15. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks Mart did in fact tweak the shorter Superbell slingshot slightly forward in an attempt to get the 32-34 spindle geometry however with the 37axle & top mount spring really run out of space for anything other than what I've used, the commonly used hoop could I suppose be creatively tweaked forward on a normal axle setup but not so with my axle/spring choices that I can see. When the chassis is completed, I'll hopefully know more., & yes will probably use an adjustable drag link. I was probably a bit quick to say my axle /spring choices limit the selection of a steering arm when it only limits what I had in mind...looking at some old timey Bonneville & track 'T' roadsters many of which used tube axles, all types of creative juices were flowing from offset up, down, to the front, single arm, double arm etc. I'm sure all had viable reasons & or using what was at hand as so often dictates the end result. Thanks, Ron

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  16. 303racer

303racer

Is it possible to load the lost pictures back if anyone saved them , most of all the steering box rebuild post ect are lost , such a great thread even after all these years.

Big Al likes this.
  17. glennpm

glennpm

"Is it possible to load the lost pictures back if anyone saved them , most of all the steering box rebuild post ect are lost , such a great thread even after all these years."

I kept the page on the steering box rebuild. Thanks for your post Harold!

Glenn

Attached Files:

303racer likes this.