Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nuts and Bolts.....when you don't have em

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Jun 27, 2019.

1. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

A friend owns Bolting Specialty of Houston, grade bolts and stainless at his cost all the rest take what you need

2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Boltdepot.com was my go to supplier for fasteners during the truck build

3. Well what ever happened to that staple of the American economy ?

The "PICK UR NUTS" variety selection.

These were in EVERY garage I twisted a wrench in.

Oldmics DSCF0133[1].JPG DSCF0131[1].JPG

VANDENPLAS, Old wolf and RICH B like this.
  4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up this 72-drawer library card catalog cabinet when a library was getting rid of them to go with computers and a 2nd, smaller, 30-drawer unit at a garage sale. I spent a $100 or so on assorted size & length bolts, nuts, washer, lock washers, etc. and have never had to run to the store for more since then.
    Worth the money just in less agravation....
    [​IMG]Library Cabinet by TagMan, on Flickr

williebill and bobss396 like this.
  5. Try Pep Boys for hardware, they have odd stuff too. But usually good quality from what I see. I rarely return wrong hardware, it comes in handy or someone else may need it, I go home and get it for them if we're wrenching.

My hardware used to be a mess. I had 2 spackle buckets I used to root through. Sorted it and tossed about 3/4 of it a few years back. That's when I came across all the Bowman nuts and bolts. We have ESD cardboard boxes at work, some of those follow me home. They are heavy duty and I split up my hardware by size. Other stuff I keep in clear plastic boxes I get at HF. Sorts my 1/4" and smaller stuff, clips, cotter pins, etc.

6. earlymopar

earlymopar

7. Sporty45

Sporty45

8. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My collection of fasteners , also have moulding clips and electrical connectors ,bulbs,fuses and rubber grommets ,fuel & brake line components etc. after fifty years in business , stuff accumulates
    IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0220.JPG

Sporty45 likes this.
  9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I can't believe the cost of nuts and bolts in the last few years. Our local hardware store is barely even carrying any sizes in stock anymore. My neighbour was moving away recently and asked if I wanted a large pail full of large nuts and bolts and another big pail with large chains in it. I couldn't get it out of his garage fast enough.

10. I had a friend, now gone, who had what he called his 25 year bolt collection. He ran a big block Prefect race car. most of his bolts were GM, big, and small block. when he moved he gave me the bolt collection. when I moved, I gave the bolts to a younger friend, 48 years old. They are still in circulation.

11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

These cabinets have all my new hardware in them, and I have about 6 or 7 coffee cans full of used o e m. Bolts. So I guess I didn’t have to make as MANY special trips as some do

Attached Files:

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Why is it that when you grab a bolt and nut out of your stash, screw them together by hand to see if they fit each other and they get tight, do you have to go get two wrenches to undo them?

williebill likes this.
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Bingo......
    I have several cabinets I have accumulated thru auctions that are excellent for storing hardware.I have "accumulated" stock that has come from a combination of disassembly, auctions, and tractor supply. But I find that if I'm going to assemble a street rod, I like to have and use nice flanged and serrated hardware to give that professional look to what I've done....even though I am not a pro. So I started accumulating the stuff I wanted because its pretty reasonably priced and easy to find on Ebay. I have the luxury of having both types of "inventory". My point is that all of us have spent time going from place to place trying to find something other than cheap crap. If you are lucky enough to find what you want....it ain't gonna be cheap, and you still had to either get it before the weekend or wait until Monday.
    If you plan ahead or act by buying extra stock every time you make a purchase, you can build a nice "on hand" supply.
    THIS
    Hamb 1.jpg

Hamb 3.jpg Hamb 4.jpg

OR THIS

DSCN1033.JPG DSCN1030.JPG DSCN1036.JPG Metric 3.jpg Hamb 5.jpg Metric 4.jpg

Everyone has their preference on what makes them happy, I'm just sayin that a little forethough can actually save you both time and money.

46international and nochop like this.
  14. Here local we have Arrow Nut an Bolt on Highway 10 Euless, Tex.
    They have tons of hardware and it's reasonable. They know what they have and can sell it way cheaper than Ace.

15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Lucky you, damn, he would be my best best friend

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

17. racer756

racer756

Has anyone had experience with www.usfastners.com ? I was looking at buying one of their bolt assortments with bin kits.