Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Remember the products on the shelf at your local gas station?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 20, 2019.

1. Chief 64

Chief 64

Deuces, My Dad was way to fussy with his cars to put an antenna topper on so he would give them to me. He made an antenna for my bicycle out of a wire coat hanger and attached it to the handle bars with the antenna topper. I was so happy with that.....man I miss my Dad....

Truckdoctor Andy, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Or.........as some did around here, you simply popped the cap off bottles in the machine and inserted a straw. Or 2 or 3
    Worked best at night on machines setting outside.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I was impressed with the hoodlums who knew how to get two packs of cigarettes for the price of one out of the machine by yanking on the handles just so. Sign of a mis-spent youth right there.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  4. I remember Dad would help his friend Cliff, on Saturdays at the local Standard Station. I would go with him and we would change oil all day. That was in the early to mid sixties when I was about 9 or 10 yrs. old. They were closed on Sundays too!

I remember filling the bottles and spouted cans with bulk oil. Sometimes I got to fill the crankcase with oil too. I was glad when the cardboard and tin cans came out and we had to punch the filler nozzle into the top of the can...

Marquette-Mfg-Co-1-Quart-Glass-Oil-Bottle.jpg

Vtg-HUFFY-3211-1-Quart-Oil-Can-Galvanized-Metal.jpg

Vintage-OIL-CAN-SPOUT-CUTTER-POURER-FUNNEL-METAL.jpg

Standard-Oil-Stanolind-Petrolatum-Amber-1-3-Full-Vintage.jpg

5. rudestude

rudestude

A friend of mine was tearing down a old gas station years ago and invited me down to see if there was anything that I wanted out of it, but by the time I got there it had been picked through pretty good , I did manage to find this on a shelf in a cabinet , l would guess it was probably the old bath room key, I remember having to go ask for the bathroom keys years back at gas stations and it seems like they always had them chained to something odd.
    I guess it was to make sure you returned the key...hell I would of kept the hub cap and left the key.
    I have found two other caps that match this one perfect,someday I will find a fourth. 1561629252413~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tinsled, loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  6. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I love the pictures of all the old stuff.
    When I worked at the service station as a teenager it was the lowest paying but most enjoyable job I've ever had. So many memories.
    We burned trash in a 55 gal barrel in back of station, one day I had one roaring...lots of empty oil cans (like one picture). Then I got busy pumping gas, etc. Near trash barrel was a small metal shed full of used tires (boss sold them for $3). We saw and smelled smoke...tires in shed caught fire!
    The boss went to a nearby window, opened it, started spraying it with a garden hose.
    "#%$@ you Gary! Somebody call the fire department!" the boss yelled. I said..."don't you have insurance on it?"...
    The boss quit spraying water. "Yes, I do...somebody get me some lighter fluid!" So he squirted that out the window.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

7. els

els

VERY COOL. MY FATHER HAD A CONOCO GAS STATION IN ARIZONA, AND GAVE THOSE STAPS AWAY WITH GAS FILL UP. GOOD MEMORIES

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

I remember working at a station that had a an old black dial Pay phone. At that time phone calls were a dime. If you were good you could put in a nickel and hit the coin return button and get the call for a nickel. I got real good at it.
    Then the phone co. came and took out the phone. We had a black dial desk top phone. The boss put a lock in the dial so you could not "dial" the phone. I learned to "dial" by tapping the receiver. Very hard to do, I could not get good at this, so I learned to pick the lock.

9. Sperry & Hutchison ( think I spelled it right ) they had a big office building on the tollway outside Chicago. Remember licking those

Sent from my LG-LS777 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

fun thread folks!

I'm old enough to remember helping my dad with the metal cans and the spout ya shoved down in the side... and he taught me to poke a hole on the other side at the top, for better oil flow. xD

But, they came out with those plastic quarts... I still have his spout tho'. xD

loudbang likes this.
  11. dudley32

dudley32

How about Tom's peanuts for a nickle?

SANY0003 (8).JPG

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'd think Tom would get kinda pissed off. Ask first.

13. de-fenders

de-fenders

My favorite can in my collection!
    Hi-Speed Wax.jpg

Deuces, Truck64, dudley32 and 3 others like this.
  14. toml24

toml24

Got one of these at a Phillips 66 station in Palms Springs, CA. Had it about 10 years on my bedroom dresser. Foolishly tossed it out when I moved. Would like to get another in memory of the old times.
    1970-Phillips 66 BOBBLEHEAD-3-TRANS.jpg

Deuces, loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  15. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

loudbang likes this.
  16. toml24

toml24

loudbang likes this.
  17. Original STP made old tired engines and transmissions happen for just a little longer, had to heat it up to get it out of that can.[​IMG]

18. ratfink500xl

ratfink500xl
    from Renton, WA

Free air and water...

loudbang likes this.
  19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Such a shame that kids these days will never know how cool it was to work at a gas station, back then, the way it used to be, it made me smile to see these various products on the shelves that were so common to us, that are old enough to remember our days counting change backwards, way before debit cards. The blowtorch was my grandfathers, I saved it from our wrecking yard!

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2114.JPG

Attached Files:

loudbang, Deuces and Truck64 like this.
  20. 1ton

1ton

Don't forget about the condom machines in the mens rooms. Ah, the good ol days, when it only cost a quarter to get some strange stuff.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Love the blow torch, haven't seen one in many years!

loudbang likes this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I hung out at, worked in, and at one time was a partner in a gas station, all back in 50s and 60s. and I can recall more incidents than I have he time to type or yall want to take the time to read. But by far the funniest one I wasn't involved in, just heard about it.
    The station was a Gulf Oil, on the edge of our small town's business district, on the side of town where the more affluent folks lived and just down and across from the First Baptist Church, where lots of the prominent folks went to church. A lot of this station's regular customers were prominent people in town and in the church, so there was no rubber machine in the restroom to risk offending these folks. But there was a whole case of them "under the counter" for those in the know, The station stayed open till about 11:00pm as it also was on a US hiway thru town. And the night attendant was quite a character, and full of mischief and practical jokes.
    The story goes that a young teen pulled in and got pout and went inside, leaving his cute date in his Daddy's car while he came in and inquired about buying a pack of rubbers, and it was obvious it was his first time to buy any rubbers and old wise guy could tell it.
    So he asks "What size?" The kid replies that he didn't know they came in different sizes. Jokester says "Yeah, they come in small, medium, and large", pulled a tape measure out and says"Whip that bad boy out and I'll measure it for you."
    The kid's face turned red, then white, and he tore outta that station like he had just robbed it, jumped in Daddy's car and squealed the tires as he left:p:D

loudbang, 41 GMC K-18 and Truck64 like this.
  23. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The joke and the cool name of the car club, now that is some funny stuff indeed!

loudbang likes this.
  24. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I work at a gas station while in high school and the boss had a rule that if a customer brought 2 dollars of gas it was mandatory to wash the windshield or if there was something to see, a dollar's worth of gas would be fine. I never know they came in so many different colors.

poncho catalina, Texas57 and loudbang like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

F804154C-F5D2-4635-B6E6-2278C0492278.jpeg 76EE0DF5-76D4-4E99-A173-4A150E9970CB.jpeg
    hey I have some of that

26. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Loved the Dino stuff.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  27. I remember the hand out road maps you could get. That was in the 60's, maybe early 70's? In 1981 as a high school senior I worked at a Shell station. Still had the paper qt oil cans then, but 1 gal jugs of antifreeze. None of the other additive stuff I can recall. 3 of the 4 islands had swapped to self serve, but still had 1 island of full serve. Still had the rubber hose to ding the bell when you drove over it. We still had air out at the islands, but only on the full serve and people would block the island getting air for themselves; of course they never had a gauge. The air chuck was only a chuck, us workers kept the pencil style gauge in our uniform pocket with a pen or two.
    The credit card was still the old type with the dials you put the amount and then ran the machine over the card to imprint the carbon copy form. We had to manually reset the pumps with a key on the side of the pump. Did not have the change caddy on the belt, but did have the change drawer on the islands.
    Being located right off a freeway exit, can't even count the number of cars coming off the freeway that were overheating or past that point. The station also had 2 service bays, but no more mechanic working. So us part-time kids would change oil occasionally, and do tire services. Also changed out a lot of spare tires onto cars.
    Inside the small sales room had some coin operated candy machines, the type where you pulled the knob out and the candy dropped. No person worked in the room.

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member