Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bushman, Mar 1, 2019.

1. bushman

bushman

Not sure if this fits on HAMB, but bought this coupe from estate sale last year.
    Had looked at a few coupes but not happy with shoddy workmanship and questionable welding, so decided to find some virgin tin!
    Always wanted a coupe, and this one, despite being a rare find in Eastern Canada went for peanuts. Sat in barn for last 25 years which saved it from elements but floor is toast. Old fellow who owned it had done a bunch of chopped coupes in his time, but passed soon after starting work on this one, so hope he likes finished product. No planning on chopping this car, as I like the view.
    Started with dash last fall that came with car for some inspiration, which is not 41 but looks a lot nicer than original, and love those big steering wheels (my next project). I've noticed early dashes in later cars, and vice versa, so guess it is a matter of taste or what you have laying around in back forty?
    Just happened to have 2 donor 88 Blazer S-10's 4x4, diff. and 4.3 V6 engine, plus good T350 that sat under workbench last 25 years waiting for a ride! Original mechanical totally worn out and scary to think someone drove it like that, but some savable parts for local flea market....
    Found a complete new M11 suspension from local donor car that changed direction, and ordered rear leaf spring hangers and tranny mount from a HAMBer.
    Do all my tinkering outside for last 50 years....even in winter, which develops your character.

Attached Files:

2. raven

raven

Are those dash pics the before and after?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:confused: He passed and you hope he likes it ?

4. bushman

bushman

Are those dash pics the before and after?
    Yup, before and after pics, turned out kinda nice. Got some chrome from Speedway (US made), sand blasted both sides, painted with off the shelf close match, gauges from Montana, clock from Florida. Have started working on steering wheel cracked about every 3 inches, but JB weld seems to do the trick. I like starting with a blank canvas.

5. bushman

bushman

He passed and you hope he likes it ?
    Yes, dead and gone but not forgotten. I promised his son I would finish car for his dad. Sounds kinda soapy, but I believe if you lead a reasonably decent life, honor your family, community and country best you can, work hard at what you love, and drive a coupe, there is a place up there waiting for you....

Texas Webb, lurker mick and RDR like this.
  6. I like the dash, looks better than the stock 41 dash.

7. catdad49

catdad49

Great start so far, keep us posted.

8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Probly wont fit here with the 4x4 parts or m11. traditional site here as you probly know after ten years here right?

9. bushman

bushman

Using 89 S-10 Blazer 4x4 differential cause it's supposed to be best fit for my coupe with parallel leaf springs (plus I have 2 in my scrap pile), really sorry about the M11 (I'll find another forum), but want to drive my coupe. Highways in Canada are plugged with folks driving 120+ KPH, which means I want all the steering and braking I can afford, which is why we see so many complete chassis/drivetrains being replaced with modern build alternatives, and Lord knows lots of nice original rods have been/will be butchered, but my car is a basket case saved from the crusher. Externally my coupe will look like any other on HAMB when finished...built with lots of sweat equity and junkyard parts in a small country garage, its walls filled with automobile paraphernalia and memorabilia from projects, my 59 Willy's jeep grill, fender emblems from my 69 Mustang, 81 Z-28 and 73 Scout 2... so what did you save from cars long gone?

Attached Files:

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

Nice looking shed. I need a better interior decorator for my garage.

11. flynstone

flynstone

just humor him and lie, the rear is otta 57 ............and make sure to paint the rims red lol........ looking good

12. Think hard about the mustang 2 front end, Every one I have driven was in no way anything superior to the stock front suspension, it was designed for a car that weighed half as much as your coupe. Drop the axle and put a new dropped spring in it with all new shackles bushings and sway bar bits. it will surprise you how good it really is. Put a disk brake kit on it if you are worried about brakes. if the Mustang 2 kit is a stock front end with the stock disc brakes, they are not near big enough for this car and yo will end up having to buy a big brake kit for the mustang 2 stuff. you already have the stock stuff, just lower it and put discs on it.

Cosmo50 likes this.