Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who know's about chevy 327's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutajunka, Jun 5, 2012.

1. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

So he never said what he was going to do with the 327 after freshing it up? I know it was an old Post but just wanted to put my .02 cents in because of the #'s on the back of the block and was just wondering if that's what the #'s and letters where for or was it to easy to think that?
    1Nimrod

2. nugget32

nugget32

I bought a new 327 short block in the 60's. The pad was blank, no numbers.

Sent from my VS500 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. nugget32

nugget32

Yup. It could be a 360 hp 63 vette fuelie motor, they had a solid lifter cam and domed pistons and 1.94 heads. I think the cam was an 8 - 18, not a 30-30

Sent from my VS500 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Deuces

Deuces

I had a .030"-.030" in my little 302... That thing sang like there was no tomorrow...

31hotrodguy likes this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My foster Dad gave me a .030-.030 and a new set of solids for my 8K miles 350 LT that flattened a cam...
    I disassembled, cleaned, polished, and refitted with new Clevite bearings, Grant rings.
    The engine went in my F100, good grief...Cam didn't come in 'till 3K! But when it did...
    I had Chico (CAL Cams) grind one to my specs, kinda 'mild', juice lifters, all the torque 'in the basement'. Great performance, truck 'sang' all the way to B'Ville and back.
    Love those SBCs...So 'predictable'!

6. the Duntov Cam was the original Z-28 cam. Chevy knew that they had a good cam on the shelf and used it. :)

7. The Duntov 30/30 cam was designed back in 55. Shoved into a 3.25 stroked 283 (first 307) and then that engine was put into a corvette and set all kinds of records with Smokey.

Then GM stuck that cam into Z28s

8. Fordors

Fordors

The Duntov 3736097 cam was designed in 1956 by Zora and has lash of .012/.018. In 1964 the .030/.030 cam was introduced for the 1964 327 Corvette 365/375 engines and that one was designed by Denny Davis, one of Duntov’s Performance Group engineers. The .030/.030 was used in the Z28’s until the 350/370 horse LT-1 came out in the ‘Vette and Z’s in 1970.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  9. EX87 test mule corvette

10. I prefer the factory solid lift cams because they work very well with stock valve trains. The 30-30 has more duration in a 283 than in a 327. because the stroke is shorter. Duration is measured in crankshaft degrees. So a 30-30 will have less duration in the longer stroke 350 engine. Thats probably why the LTI engines got a different cam.

1Nimrod, 31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  11. I may have caused some confusion. What I was trying to say was that the Duntov Cam was the cam that they used in the original Z-28 mills.

The later Z-28s used a different cam shaft as GM made changes to the motor. For street driven solid lifter small block it is a good versatile cam shaft. The down side is that it is not a good choice for a low compression motor. It really likes 10:1 or higher. You can't find fuel at a gas station but if you still could 12:1 and free flowing heads is where it really shines.

Now if I was building a small block in the 302-355" range and was not faint of heart I would look for compression in the 11.5-12:1 range (10.5 minimum) and get my hands on the later (large journal era) Z-28 off road cam. Keep the vehicle light and the gears steep enough to cruise above 4K. But I am a little faint of heart so even is I was building a hot 327 inch street motor I probably would not do anything like that. ;)

1Nimrod, 31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

That off road cam with the 2X4 crossram intake got you... 302-465.jpg
    Yeah, that much horsepower..... Not bad for a little engine that could.... :)

13. Degrees are degrees , 360 in a circle and that’s that. The duration is ground into the cam and does not change when moving a cam.

Engine characteristics and requirements do change from stroke increases and bore increases which both are used for swept volume calculations. More swept volume needs accordingly an increase in cam profile to fulfill larger requirements.
    For example, you could put a 262 cam in a little 283 or put the same 262 cam into a 383 stroker. The duration in crank degrees will not change it will remain the same but the 383 will require more

Larry T and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

There is an old acronym in the computer industry- GIGO. Garbage In Garbage Out and the part in an online article about the .030/.030 cam being used in the EX87 is just that, garbage.
    Smokey might have designed the ‘077 cam that was the forerunner to the Duntov ‘097, I really don’t know. What I do know is the Duntov cam that Zora used in the EX87 when he ran it was introduced for the ‘57 cars and had less lift and more duration than the ‘077. The 1964 .030/.030 was a much different cam. The ‘097 is .382/.386 - 287*/258*, the 30/30 is .447/.447 - 283*/283*.

1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  15. You are correct I should have stated more effective duration. All circles have 360 degrees. However some circles are larger or smaller than others.

16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Duntov cam is a Duntov cam. A 30-30 is a 30-30. Completely different, other than the fact that they are solid lifter cams.
    Duntov's were used in small blocks until `64, when the 30-30 took over as the small block, solid lifter cam, until the LT1 came out.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Old wolf likes this.
  17. That’s a bouncing ball mouthful

Deuces and 427 sleeper like this.
  18. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

SB Chevy's oohhh ssooo COOOLLL... I'm slowly getting mine back around the way it should have been I still have a long road ahead of me. God Willing my health will get better so I can do more on the 327 soon. Time health an $$$$ some times not in that order but I'm sure y'all know what I mean. It's been great knowing other Motor Heads that think the same way about good Old American Hot Rod's Race Car's Street Rod's I guess there almost all the same Cool Fast Car's... It keep us going an it takes the HAMB to keep use all going in the same direction an stay connected Thank You... I have to thank my brother-in-law Chuck W also who lives in Oklahoma that turned me on to the HAMB I knew Chuck liked all my Chevy II's when I first started dating his sister back in 1978 an every year he comes back to Michigan to visit an to go see Lane Automotive's Hot Rod Show. When we talk car's he always says "Man you should have kept all those Chevy II's you had back when we were younger" Yep I know I wished I had I say back to him LOL... He sold his Nova a 70 or 71 can't remember what year for sure but after restoring the Nova year's later he had heart problems an thank God made it through his surgery okay but sold that white Nova he's been keeping in the barn for year's. Then just this year he told me he's back in the game again he picked up a 75 Type LT Camaro for a song. He's very happy he did an I'm happy for him. We Old Motor Heads need to Wrench with our Head and Hands it keeps us going. I thank God for my 63 C10 and some day God Willing it will have it's new heart transplant out with the 6 cyl. in with the 327 can't wait... I'm down to One Hot Rod now and Thankful every day... Keep On Trucking Hot Rod Brother's...
    1Nimrod...

Deuces likes this.