Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who know's about chevy 327's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutajunka, Jun 5, 2012.

1. nutajunka

nutajunka

That's what I was reading online today. 10:23

2. nutajunka

nutajunka

No part no. on top of piston's, first thing I checked when I seen them.

3. nutajunka

nutajunka

It a 1967 casting 3892657 Aug.29 1966

4. nutajunka

nutajunka

Did the CC have a Ansen bellhousing just like a tri-five for mounting? It does have one extra hole cast into the block deck in front of number 2 cyl. that I have never seen on any other sbc.

5. It's cheaper to bury them.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Like said Marine blocks were number free, GM "Fitted" 327 blocks were sans numbers also ..........................................

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

if the compression ratio is too high for pump gas, set it up to run on E85

8. nutajunka

nutajunka

I have never run E85 any suggestions?

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

10. Larry T

Larry T

If you're getting down to brass tacks, the difference in original steel shim head gaskets and composition gaskets will make a difference too.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

For sure. Uncut, steel shims, un-milled heads, its gonna be under 10.5/1 assuming std. bore. .030 over a little higher, .060 higher still.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

TR, without de-railing this guys thread, have you ever dynoed a motor with a log and 6 97 style carbs? I have something thats been picking at my brain, pretty sure I know the answer, but am looking for verification. Too bad you cant get pm's.

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

E85 will act like 110 octane. I successfully ran it in a 12.5/1 Hemi

just set up your fuel system to handle it. You will need a special carburetor, or one that is rebuilt for E85.

and it is cheaper than regular 87 octane gasoline, but finding it near you may be an issue

14. biscaynes

biscaynes

an 11:1(with 64cc chamber) L79 GM piston...
    pretty sure 462 heads were 64cc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    Deuces likes this.
  15. Have you CC'ed the heads yet? be interesting to see what the volume is, also use some clay to see what the piston-to-valve clearance is. Could be a hot little motor.

Bob

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would expect uncut 462s to be about 66 cc's.

17. nutajunka

nutajunka

Haven't cc'ed the heads yet but pulled the oil pan today. 11:1 forged GM 3866954 standard pistons, forged 4677 crank rods and mains standard, balanced to boot, by who is unknown, 6 quart flapper oil pan, and everthing looks almost new....:eek: Here's the kicker, when I turn the engine over to take off the oil pan I heard a "thunk", but I knew all my pistons were coming up when I bought it. Turns out the oil tube pickup and strainer was sitting in the bottom of the pan. I checked all the bearings and crank and they are perfect. They must have shut it down as soon as it lost pressure. The pickup tube would slid in and out like a 3 dollar......well you know I mean. Who would go through all that trouble and leave the pickup tube like that......:confused: Looks like some clean up and some small parts, rings, new pump etc. since it's apart and it will be good to go. I will just have to live knowing what's inside verus it's original app. I would have liked to found it 35 years ago when gas was better and cheaper.

18. http://www.e85locator.net/State Pages/IndianaE85stationlocations.html

My DD truck is flex fuel and runs like a bat out of hell on that E85 stuff.
    The MPG goes down but the Dollars Per Mile is normally about the same or a even a little less because its cheaper .
    I say normally because the closest station that carries it is PROBABLY the highest in the country for E85. & buying it from him @ $$ will costs me more to run a mile than gas. I always run it when traveling if I see it.

19. nutajunka

nutajunka

Cool thanks, there is two station's within a mile of me. I can get a high rise single plane cheap and maybe rework a 750 double pumper for the E85. That would be awsome if it will work out. Left out one other part, a short wheelbase 1800 lb. car to put it in.

20. I bought a 300 HP/327 long block new from a dealer in '67.....no numbers on the pad. Also, if it's a boat engine, check to make sure the cam and distributor are the correct rotation......boats with twin engines use opposite rotations.....you might have the wrong one.

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

if you are going to buy a new carb, get in touch with Quickfuel. They can sell you what you need and it will be compatible with E85. All calculations will be based on the engine, conditions, car and driving style

22. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

My S 10 also runs on it, and I have the same situation the gas station by my house is like 30 cents a gallon cheaper so it works out about the same, but if I go out east it's about 55-60 cents a gallon cheaper.I was thinking of running it on one of my high compression motors,possibly will try it on my 301 in my 55.

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Now you know a little more about the engine/pistons. They were GM's "hi-performance", 327 piston, and forged. Most guys refer to them as 11:1, but they are actually marketed as 10.35:1; the same pistons were used in different HP, hi-perf 327's, but different heads made the adverised CR from 10:1 to 11:1. Speed Pro still makes these pistons. I just lost out on a set on that auction site we all know and love that were NOS and .030 over; I have a NOS, standard bore set, but my Hecho en Mexico 350 block is probably too worn, and will need to be bored (due to the soft cast iron they used). These pistons are also solid dome, so they can be cut all the way down to flat top if wanted. Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. Dyce

Dyce

Butch: Look for a 307 block and bore it .125 to 4.00". Not all 307 blocks have thick enough bores though. Some of the 307 blocks had the same casting number you find on 327 blocks, that's the one you need. I have a couple already bored to 4"......

nutajunka: You scored with that engine!! I'm preaty sure the boats had the oil pressure safty circuit that shuts the engine down if you loose oil pressure. Might explain the sump falling out and the bearings being good.

Deuces likes this.
  25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Are those Brass Freeze plugs, can't tell?

26. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

I have a Theory it gets one thinking??
    I know this is a really 0ld Post but on the back of the 327 block it has the last three #'s of the seven block casting #'s it says "657" and even though the suffix is blank if you look again at the back of the block near the cast in numbers and letters by the #657 it has "HB" cast into the block. If you look up "HB" it tells you exactly what this 327 might be? It shows in Nasty Z/28 as three different 327's and One 350.
    #1-HB-65-327-Std.Trans-HiPerf-300hp/4bbl out of a full size car.
    #2-HB-67-327-A.I.R-275hp/4bbl out of full size or Camaro.
    Note:first two blocks small journals/ next two blocks Large journals.
    #3-68-327-HD Cluth-275hp/4bbl- full size.
    #4-69-350-THydroTrans-300hp/4bbl-A F X
    I've noticed on the back and other places on some of the SBC the last three #'s of the seven cast #'s are cast in the back, front, or side of the SBC and the suffix letter's are sometimes cast in the same area on the blocks. Just like the early SBC heads have there last three cast #'s inside the water jacket area on the block side of the heads facing the gasket. The heads also show some times the head cast in shapes that are on front and back of the heads on the gasket side of the heads just like they do on the top side of the heads in the middle area by the head casting #'s They have the same shapes. Some of the SBC heads have same cast #'s but different shapes. I think because of different CC's and Valve sizes and year of the heads ? (Just my guess I have some 185's an 032's heads having different shapes on front an back but similar shapes on the under side of the heads meaning I think top part of the heads used different molds but the buttom half's used the same mold's. hope you understand what I'm trying to say? ) But GM blocks some times show "Two" different cast numbers on the back of the block or front meaning they used "Two" different mold's for that particular block. (The last three cast #'s of the seven cast #'s) I noticed Squirrel said something about this before on a different post something close to this if I remember correctly about the last three cast #'s on back an front under timing chain cover of the block. Just off the top of my head we can use the 010/020. Some people think that it means better nickle content in the block but it really maens (from what Squirrel said before I agree) "Two" different block molds making the one block and the cast #'s telling what mold #'s are used to make that particular block being different in some way so they cast the three #'s or sets of #'s in back and front of the block or on the sides so the line assemblers will know what block they have just like they use different colors of paint the same way?? Just my opinion and maybe Squirrels if I remember correctly?? (maybe Squirrel was talking about something different note remembering for sure what Squirrel was talking about ??) But seems to work on this particular SBChevy??
    1Nimrod

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  27. Deuces

Deuces

To me, it looks like it was filed off with a good file.....

28. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

We bought after market blocks from chevy dealers back in the day and they did not have numbers on them.

Deuces likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OP hasn't posted on this (his) thread for over seven years but his "last activity" on his profile page shows activity from the last week or so, not sure where though.
    Sure would be curious what the story is on this 327, seems a bit of a "hodgepodge" though.

Deuces likes this.
  30. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Picture was to blurry for me I couldn't see anything because of the bad picture.
    1Nimrod

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019