Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hacked Off and Boxed In

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by soddruntlestuntle, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Do what needs to be done; swap it out with a rebuilt unit. That shaft is toast. You're really lucky you uncovered that botched up mess. I'd start looking closely elsewhere on the truck for the previous owner's "handiwork"; castle nuts and cotter pins on the steering/suspension, any electrical splices, repairs, or wiring ran through sheet metal panels w/o grommets, etc.
    This comes first. The interior, etc is "fun work" but will have to wait on deck.

One thing leads to another, and you may find yourself replacing all the (60 year old) steering parts (tie rods, etc) if it hasn't been gone through...

Other option is to find someone building out an early F-100 that is going with the popular Crown Vic clip or whole chassis swap routine and is unloading their original box/column, etc.
    Many times you'll find that someone has built out a car/truck and rebuilt all of the original suspension/brakes/drivetrain, etc. , then a year or two later get get tired of it, develop the hots for a crate engine, Alston chassis, etc.
    Deals can be had. Check with your local Street Rod building shops to see if they're doing one or did one recently. Sometimes those parts are piled up waiting for the next swap meet.

pitman, Spoggie, RMR&C and 1 other person like this.
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Have a machine shop make a piece of steel with matching threads and
    then TIG weld that piece to the existing shaft. Bevel both edges.
    Make sure it's centered. Then TIG weld it. Make sure the weldor knows how to do this
    and get max penetration. This would be done in the car. And, YES, a new shaft would be best answer.

QUESTION: Would it be possible to modify the current shaft and steering wheel so it would be the quick release type like on race cars?
    AS A SIDE NOTE: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-welding-and-fab/term-weldor-obsolete-151809/

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. alchemy

alchemy

If you order up a used or rebuilt box, make sure it's for your year of truck. There were some variations in the shaft length in the F-100 trucks.

One possible source to rebuild your box is NealinCA here on the HAMB. Send him a message and ask if he can do it.

soddruntlestuntle likes this.
  4. We put in a rebuilt '40 box from Lares Corp, seemed a quality piece and worked good.

5. The Lares boxes are available for that truck, through O'Reilly's and Rockauto.
    The shaft needs fixing for sure. Are the threads that are left good to use? Clean up with die, or thread file? If so, remove the broken bolt, use a slim nut on the existing threads, and replace the broken bolt to use as a keeper for the slim nut..

6. Yeah, mine's about a half inch shorter. o_O Thanks for the info.

7. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

8. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2 on redhead. They’re about 7 miles from me, and a lot of the restoration and hot rod guys use them. Call and ask, I know they used to do more than shows on the web site. They’re just south of Seattle, so shipping wouldn’t be a killer.

9. Thanks for the info. I've gone ahead and submitted a request for a rebuild quote, we'll see what they say.

10. Nothing worse then a sloppy box
    And a short shaft........

Fix it right, fix it once and be done with it.

lumpy 63, X-cpe and bobss396 like this.
  11. tjm73

tjm73

Tell me more about the adapter to put the C2 wheel on the shaft. I really like the C2 wheel too and I would like to use one in a t-bucket I've been planning out for a couple years now.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C1 wheel, and it will make you want to wave at dudes in plastic cars.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I was going to say Red Head Steeering Gears in the Seaatle area, but someone beat me to it. Now, what's being used on the truck cabs floor? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. Mac"s Early Ford parts lists a shaft with gear for 61-64 for 297 bucks.Its the most fool proof short of a different box from a parts truck.

15. Try Sam's Vintage Ford Parts in Denver, tell them Bob with the '59 Ford sent you. Really decent to deal with and they either have it, or know who does. This goes for almost any old Ford part.
    https://www.ebay.com/str/Sams-Vintage-Ford-Parts

16. It's Noico brand 80mil sound deadening insulation.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

harley jim and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. Forgive me, but it's a C1-era wheel, though the six-bolt pattern is the same. It was just a simple adapter I picked up on eBay that allows you to bolt the six-bolt Vette wheel to a Grant-style three-bolt mount. Here's a link to the eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-0-5-1-...-to-fit-Grant-APC-3-Hole-Adapter/302678176830

They come in different depths, too, depending on your needs.

19. The threads, what's left of them, are in pretty poor shape. I'll try and post a better photo this evening.

20. BTW, I went with this product over Dynamat and some of the others because it was thicker, cheaper, and got very favorable reviews compared to Dynamat.

21. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I like the truck wheel better. Replace the shaft. Post up on truck sites.

22. Received a response from RedHead Steering:

If it is a manual gear, it would be our part # FLS2-7104, which is a gear that we can rebuild, but we also have on the shelf. The cost is $396 + parts. If you wanted to do an exchange, we could ship one out to you, charge an additional $200 core charge, and then you can send your old gear in as a core once you have them swapped out. Turnaround time if you send yours in is typically 2-3 business days for the rebuild. There would be shipping costs as well, likely between $35-$45 each way.

Uff da.

23. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

There is a self serve wrecking yard there in Fresno. I try to stop by for Ford truck gold when I pass thru. I would check there first.

24. Is that Turner's on Willow?

25. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Westside.
    2641 W Belmont Ave, Fresno, CA 93728

26. agshelby

agshelby

Swapping out a steering box and column is pretty straight forward on a truck. I'd recommend a rebuilt box and and finding a donor column.

I don't mess around with steering or brakes. Upholstery can wait - do the steering right.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

IF...you are somehow persuaded to install a Grant (or other) 'Quick Release' for a better fix than mere jamb nut or tapped and center bolted steering wheel adapter mooring, be advised that these Quick Releases are illegal for street use!

That 'law' must be new, as I parked my '27 Highboy outside Original Joe's in San Jose, 1983, and carried in my 15" Bell 3 spoke wheel for all to see. Two San Jose police officers were seated near the front, and laughed when they saw me with the wheel...saw me remove it when we parked.
    "That's Foolproof!", one of them said...I still kept an eye on the car.
    Be 'typical' for some jackboot to drive it away with a Visegrip....

28. Thanks Mike, duly noted.