Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Starting from scratch

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jim1932, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Ok.... We all get asked “Did you build it”. I got the itch to do an entire car and a friend of mine needed to unload a Model A pickup he had been saving..... this might take a while. Still trying to decide what it will be. Definitely a hot B motor. Was thinking highboy but the fenders that came with it are really nice . [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

dirty old man, LAROKE, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  2. Full fendered 16 inch wires. Hot 4 banger and full synchro trans. Ford pickup front brakes.
    Alternator. An bumpers.

dirty old man likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a whole lot more than I started one of my projects. I found a 29 A cowl laying at the intersection two miles from the house where it had fallen off a truck or trailer and that is the basis for a roadster I am building.

weps and sloppy jalopies like this.
  4. Lol sitting on a nice set of 17” wheels. Otherwise you are probably spot on. Looking at a quick change too though.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Looking forward to seeing what you do. HRP

6. More Photo's. Was originally thinking I should get the frame blasted and painted, but I think I am going to do a rough assembly first in case I need to make some modifications. Still deciding on a hot B or a V-8. If I go V-8 I definitely need to modify the frame.

IMG_1658.jpg IMG_1659.jpg IMG_1661.jpg IMG_1663.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  7. OK.... first decision. Obviously everything is in pieces and the body is mostly stripped. I am deciding between taking every little piece apart and cleaning, lubing etc then assembling it. Kinda like a frame of restoration (but hotrod). MY gut tells me to at least get a running chassis together, then take it apart and do brakes and bearings and all the little things to make it right. At the same time, my goal is the teenager got the old farm truck and hotrodded it build. Even thinking of brushing on the paint. Regardless of the look, I want it totally dependable.

SO, that said? put it together to make sure I have it all, then rip it apart and clean it all up?

Stogy likes this.
  8. yep, prebuild the whole thing, then rip it apart and paint it.

Stogy likes this.
  9. wallyringo

wallyringo

Hell yeah. Good luck.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamber @Hitchhiker's Hotrod Pickup comes to mind...have fun with it...;)

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have a header panel that goes under the sun visor if you need one.

12. Sisco Kid

Sisco Kid

Any way you go will be a good choice, but it would be kind of a shame to not use a good set of steel fenders. Look at a lot of pictures and talk to some people who own fender-less cars. Either way you can tell them you built.

13. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

Make sure you can fit in it. Go with the least amount of recess to the firewall as possible.I'm building one, and I'm stuck at getting the seating figured out, If you're taller than 5'9'' they are pretty cramped. I'm 6'3" and it's like trying to put 10 lbs of s**t in a 5 lb box

dirty old man and irishsteve like this.
  14. Fortunately I am 5'8" with a 28" inseam. :). I am pretty sure I am going to use the Fenders. I can always take them off if I want.

15. Just trying to update here once a month to keep me moving went and picked up the bed that came with the truck..

IMG_2124.jpg IMG_2125.jpg

dlw1932 likes this.
  16. also picked up a set of 32 spindles, pedals and a full Boling brothers set up (less the hubs, got them from speedway)

IMG_2313.jpg IMG_2314.jpg

17. got a 32 k member and wishbone from a fellow HAMBer at hershey.

IMG_2074.jpg

18. Next step is to pull the front axle and send or take it to Kohler Brothers in PA.

19. Finally worked out the plan. This truck is going to be a cruiser. Model B motor, modern ignition, Brierley head and cam. S-10 trans. Hydraulic Brakes. at this point, due to finances, will run the 32 wire wheels on it. 2 1/2 to 3" dropped front axle. Still deciding fenders or not, but it will be built with out them as I will save painting fenders for last.