Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garage Find: 1962 Rambler 2dr with 27k miles, but is it cool ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Lower that bitch and drive the wheels off it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  2. A nice find, get it running, go over the front end (trunnion??) and brakes, electrics and have fun with it. I'd take one of those myself for a fun summer car.

3. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I love it. I've looked at a couple but they were really rough for too much money, so I didn't buy them. I love the orphans. Have fun.

4. Hemi511

Hemi511

Not a stocker fan myself, but I can see a lil bit darker blue, shade wider wheel on the back. Trim rings and spider caps. Make a nice cruzr, definitely points for something different

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Just sell it to me. I'll bring a trailer. Awesome little car. Always wanted one of those. Gary

bobss396 likes this.
  6. Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 5.00.46 PM.png

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  7. philo426

philo426

Stance is cool.but you would scrape the muffler off and put a hole in the oil pan.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

They both look like they have been hauling two fat women around and ruined the springs!

Too low!

10. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Very cool... don't care if it's not hamb friendly... we'll just call it a Hambler!!!

Thor1 and FalconMan like this.
  11. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I think cooit's cool. I owned a 63 330 and a 58 550 wagon. I wish I still had them.

12. Slopok

Slopok

There was a time when '37 Fords were not cool either!
    Dare to be different.

bobss396, i.rant and 51504bat like this.
  13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Always thought that body style would lend itself well to an el camino conversion, using a wagon gate.
    But if I had it cheap I'd want to non-hamb friendly ls powered auto-crosser with independent F&R big brakes.

Thor1 and D-Russ like this.
  14. primed34

primed34

The low mileage and condition part are kinda cool, but not the car. My parents had a '61 Rambler station wagon new. I was like 9 years old and not in to cars yet but I knew it wasn't cool.

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-6-28_3-59-6.png
    “Turns out to be a 62 Ramber American, 2 dr, 6 cyl, stick, 27k one owner miles. Always garage kept, zero rust. Had not run in 20 years.” “Needless to say I bought it since it was unique with the miles and condition, plus it was dirt cheap.....”

Hello,

Wow, what a flashback. (Those words were almost the exact ones we had when we saw the green Rambler in the main city on the island.) When my wife and I were invited to go to our friend’s house in Kauai, we jumped at the chance. 30 days of summer vacation in the world’s island paradise, who could turn that down? Those old bedspreads were wrapping paper for the surfboard and with tape, we were off and running. The LAX people laughed when we took the board off of the roof of a yellow cab in front of the curbside bellman. It was colorful to say the least.
    upload_2019-6-28_4-2-7.png
    When we arrived in Kauai, the first thing we needed to do was to get a car. A rental was not going to do it because of our 30+ day stay. So, we decided to go halves in a used car purchase. Spending the day wandering around several neighborhoods and then finally a used car lot in town, we found a pristine 1962 Rambler 4 door sedan with only 30k miles. We were told it was owned by a little old lady from Lihue, the main airport city.
    upload_2019-6-28_4-2-41.png
    I had brought the latest, custom, roof rack parts from the mainland. So, we made a custom -made roof rack that fit the width of the Rambler perfectly. It was made to clip on/off and fit at least 4 surfboards, for all kinds of conditions and people.

Despite the daily deluge of rain, then sun, then more tropical rain, the temperature was a nice 75-80 degrees. After all, the houses were near the shoreline with the huge, “wettest spot in the world,” miles up in the local mountains. We did have a problem with the gas tank, but that was our fault. We were searching for a hidden gem of a waterfall and giant pool in the jungle. We found it, had a fabulous time, and on the way out, ran over several deep ruts, cracking the gas tank.

Being hot rodders, we wanted to do a quick fix with welding up the crack. But, as safety goes, gas fumes and welding do not go together for a quick fix. So, as surfers, we decided to seal the tank with several layers of fiberglass cloth, shreds, and resin to make a totally sealed tank repair. Within the 30 days we were there, not one leak. With the stock undercoating and our rough fiberglass repair, a smidgen of black spray paint made the repair look like a new gas tank.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/humorous-gas-tank-sealing-effort.1126968/#post-12810391

Jnaki

The neat thing about your Rambler is that it has low miles, the seats and interior look brand new and you have options. We knew ours had to fit 4-5 adults (daily) plus a 2 year old kid, 4 surfboards and beach gear/lunches in the trunk. The Rambler had so much room that we all fit nicely with room to spare. Of course, we knew the small motor needed more horsepower, but we did not want to spend time building something, like installing a SBC for power.

Your two door sedan is perfect for a small family hot rod. A spiffed up stock appearance, Moon Discs and a rumble under the hood, eminating those great SBC sounds will definitely turn heads without the garish look of a pseudo, race car. I am sure HAMB's, “The Moose” could help you with some Photoshop options before you get started. That 2 door Rambler would definitely be a cool hot rod.
    upload_2019-6-28_4-4-17.png
    We got our Rambler running really well, it ran like a top, took all of us all over the island on a daily basis for surfing, sightseeing and shopping. When it was time to come back to So Cal, we sold our ½ to the owner, told him to keep the money and gave thanks for a memory that we will never forget.

Our idea that has been brewing for some time, was to put a complete SBC driveline in the Rambler, with the larger wheels inside of the rear opening. (NO BODY MODS) That would have given us a lot of power and ride-ability. But, for what we did daily in Kauai, we realized that it was not necessary. For driving on flat roads, with only a few slight grades, the Rambler motor was just fine.

I am sure it was a sight going down those coastal roads, with 4-6 adults, a little kid, surfboards and gear made the 4 door Rambler sit a little lower. That is without any alterations to the suspension, except for total weight. Who would have thought to see a 1962 Rambler 4 door, lowered, cruiser driving all over the island of Kauai?

kidcampbell71, bobss396 and i.rant like this.
  16. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel so lonely. 572 Big Block, 700R4 and a narrowed 9". Stock bottle cap hub caps (10" rear wheels, deep back space)and have some fun.

17. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Wheels and lowered will make any car KOOL.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

18. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

I love that car. No miles, 56 years old, what's not to like?

19. I'd keep it bone stock, the color sets it off for me. Those were hardy engines too, I still recall how they sounded.

classiccarjack likes this.
  20. Do you need hub caps for it? I probably have what you need here.... Picture 29129.jpg

21. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mo...

You gotta' quit holding everything in man! - you need to unburden yourself and tell people what you're really thinking, the stress will kill you if you don't!:confused::eek::):cool:

Chavezk21 and Vonn Ditch like this.
  22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Coolest of cool! That thing is nice!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

My dad bought one new in 1962, same color, standard shift and no radio. It was a 4 door and nice to drive. I'd get it roadworthy and drive it. I'll bet that it will get better gas mileage that some of the cars now but I would add a lead substitute. Good luck to you.
    John

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’d love to hang all those on my fence

25. Come and get 'em. I am in southern Oregon. Bring a BIG truck.

26. A Boner

A Boner

Just remember back then, the odometer went to zero after 99,999.9......although this one looks like it didn't do that!

27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

...................crickets.......

28. Picture 29128.jpg
    Don't understand the "crickets" statement, but if you want them, come and get them for free. I can get .22 per pound for stainless, but I don't want to separate the non-ferrous metal from them in order to turn them into the scrap yard guys. My wife says she wants her daffodils uncovered. I also have a bunch of small hubcaps to go with the full wheel covers....

29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Crickets is a slang term for silence, in other words embarrassing that I spoke up to something I cannot commit too, thank you for your kind offer.

slv63 and 31Dodger like this.
  30. egads

egads