Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Beach Boys -surfing & hot rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 26, 2019.

1. There was a Beach Boys song on the radio when my granddaughter came into the shop today and she ask me about all the surfing & hot rod songs did they actually live it or just sing about it.

My reply is I had read that only Dennis Wilson surfed but I don't know about any of them actually owning hot rods, sure some owned American and exotic sports cars but as for real hot rods I don't have a clue.

And the used other peoples cars on their album covers.

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on the subject and teach Hannah & myself a thing or two. HRP

2. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

I know Mike Love is into woodies has a couple

3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Al Jardine definitely has/had several Ford hot rods.

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Yeah I think Al had/has a few '32's. I believe Dennis was into drag racing at the time also, along with his two lane blacktop appearance.

5. Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 003.jpg Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 004.jpg Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 005.jpg Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 007.jpg Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 009.jpg Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 010.jpg Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 011.jpg Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 013.jpg Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 014.jpg Beach Boys (Al Jardine)Coupe 015.jpg Yep Al Jardine sure was , this is 1 of his I did 4 him years ago, then freshened it up for the 2nd owner

flyin-t, Lil32, chriseakin and 9 others like this.
  6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Beach Boys played a SEMA show dinner and the stage was completely surrounded by deuce coupes. When they played in Durango, the date was a Tuesday and they threw together a quick car show with almost 60 cars. Photo from the 50th tour

DSC00462.JPG

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Lore says that 409 was the brainchild of Brian Wilson and Gary Usher... mostly Usher as he was obsessed with hot rods...

The Dual Quad 409 on the record was actually Usher's '58 348 3x2, recorded,on ththe street at night in front of Wilsons house.
    This version says the cops were called.

Other versions have the 348 being a Dad's car.....

409 really started the car sound craze of the early 60s.

8. Fordors

Fordors

Brian is a musical genius, the Pet Sounds album proved that, but like a lot of great minds he had some demons. We saw them in concert 40 years ago, in the opening song Brian had his place at the piano. Something torqued him off and he took a large Coke, (might have been water in the cup) like the 44 oz. some sell and he threw it at the bass player. That guy grabbed a towel, dried his face and kept playing as if nothing happened.
    It was normal for the rest of the set and yes, it was a great show.

9. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Even if you don't like The Beach Boys music, if you listen to the "Unsurpassed Masters" on YouTube, there's no doubt my mind you will end up respecting Brian Wilson's musical abilities. He was literally a musical genius the way he composed and produced music.
    [​IMG]

10. 83Squarebody

83Squarebody
    from Arizona

Dennis was the only one who actually lived what the Beach Boys sang about... girls, hot rods and surfing.
    The others, maybe had cars but not all of it, we’ll probably girls. But Dennis is the only one who surfed.

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Dennis might have surfed, but they didn't let him play drums. That was left to Hal Blaine, the "Wrecking Crew" drummer for a gazillion different hit songs.

LBCD, HOTRODPRIMER, bowie and 3 others like this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

He did too much of that LDS stuff I guess. For a while after he sort of quit the band/touring he stayed in bed pretty much constantly, though when he went in public he wore a bathrobe everywhere. One of his kids said his favorite song was "Be My Baby" and he'd play it over and over hundreds of times a day, Hopefully with headphones. "Good Vibrations" is a killer tune, better than anything the Beatless did.

13. Al Jardine surfed also, did many times with him.

14. pitman

pitman

The Wrecking Crew film depicts Wilson, Sonny & Cher, Sinatra, it's a review of the Bassist Carol, and the Drummer Tom's work, by his son. A gorgeous, historic film. I keep hearing "This car of mine,"
    a great way to head out to the shop.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Huh?....

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. 83Squarebody

83Squarebody
    from Arizona

The TV appearances Dennis “drummed”. But studio was definitely Blaine.

17. 83Squarebody

83Squarebody
    from Arizona

Nice.. stand corrected...

18. If you lived on the East side of Stamford Connecticut in the Cove Road area you did not listen to the Beach Boys.
    This dialog from American Graffiti was right on the money.

Carol: [John turns off the radio] Why did you do that?

John Milner: I don't like that surfin' shit. Rock and roll's been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died. :cool:

Carol: Don't you think the Beach Boys are boss?o_O

John Milner: You would, you grungy little twirp.

Carol: Grungy? You big weenie! If I had a boyfriend, he'd pound you.

John Milner: Yeah, sure.

-- John Milner
    The Cove Boys did not like that surfin' shit.:mad:

Lil32, 5window, LOU WELLS and 6 others like this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I can't say about the Beach Boys, but Jim Morrison of the Doors had a Shelby Mustang. He was pretty wild with it, wrecking it a couple of times while drunk or high. Word was he abandoned it somewhere in the desert and hitched a ride back home. The car has never showed up since, nobody that knows what happened to it and those that do never talked....

20. philo426

philo426

21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The story I read many years ago was that the car used in 409 was Brian's 62 406 Ford, it was in the driveway and they needed a car reving up for the song. lol Folklore and hear say. who knows Larry

22. Deuces

Deuces

Hope that was the 405hp version....

23. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Beach Boys are iconic! I’ve loved them since the mid 60’s . Have seen the them about 5 times with and without Brian. Sure hooked me... ‘32 coupes and Vettes ... what can I say: C400DDFD-ECAF-49C1-9883-A2C6A53F58C0.jpeg 3D7B17F9-39FA-4FF7-8BF3-C3CEBD1C9AEA.jpeg

31hotrodguy, XERB, chriseakin and 6 others like this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

Seen them twice at Pine Knob in Michigan.. . Once was with Chicago...:cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

The car was found and restored.... Do a search!...;)

26. Mimilan

Mimilan

John Milner: "I don't like that surfin' shit......................
    1-American-Graffiti-quotes.gif

Carol: "Don't you think the Beach Boys are boss?"
    John Milner: "You would, you grungy little twirp."

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Last I heard, it has never been found. You may be thinking of the two cars used in the Bullitt movie, one was found in a Mexican junkyard, the other in some guy's garage on the east coast.

28. We saw them a Little John auditorium at Clemson University, with Brian Wilson but he looked like he was in a daze, When Rene' & Dona and Brenda & I pulled in the parking lot it was pouring rain, a guy came over to us and ask would we like to park next to the tour bus, Rene' was driving his '32 PB Plymouth coupe and I was in my 1930 Model A pickup.

I kinda thought we might get to met the Beach Boys but that didn't happen but we did park beside the bus,the only hot rods there.

Man, that's been 40 years ago. HRP

29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Shorter answer: Brian did a whole lot of drugs and hasn't been firing on all cylinders since '66.

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

As for the engine sound on "409", I always heard it was a Pontiac. Morrison's '67 Shelby is still unfound, his friends have said it was torn up pretty bad underneath in a trip over a sidewalk, and that was the last it was seen.