Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 65 Ford Fairlane headers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Five o Fairlane, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Five o Fairlane

Five o Fairlane

I have read some of the threads about the headers for the 65 Fairlane and the nightmare that they are to fit between the shock towers. I've decided to go with the Doug's tri y headers. Has anyone installed these and how bad did it suck? Should I just pull the engine to install them?

2. RmK57

RmK57

65 Mustang has basically the same engine compartment and 10 of thousands had headers installed on them. I had a 65 Mustang with headers and I never had a problem with spark plug access, clearance for suspension, ground clearance in general.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Beautiful Iron

Beautiful Iron
    from Upstate NY

I just put a set of hedmans on a 69 with a 4-speed and power steering. I only needed to ding one pipe where it was touching the firewall on the driver side. Fit really well over all. summit part number was HED-88300. Under $200 bucks and US made.

loudbang likes this.
  4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

65 Fairlane is a slight bit different than a Mustang , it is a touch larger . Headers should be no issue . I had a 64 Comet , 4 speed with headers , no issues

loudbang likes this.

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Little Fairlanes are different. Since they were built around the 221-260 " the Fairlane V8, they actually have less clearnance than a Mustang and a even a 6cyl Falcon.

'69 is a much bigger car.

The '64 Comet is ....
    Honestly I don't know what it is other than a '64 Comet. It may be a little different than the 62-65 Fairlane and 62-63 Meteor.
    The '63 Comet was a Falcon cousin. The Meteor was dropped after '63. The'64 Comet was closer to a Fairlane like the Meteor but I'm not sure they shared the exact same platform. Like I said the '64 Comet may be different.

What does fit a little Fairlane....
    Stock 221-289 exhausts
    Hi-Po 289 manifolds and these are reproduced.

Special made header for the 62-65 Fairlane. Sometimes you'll see 62-67 adverised....these will not fit without extensive modifications.
    Headers that actually fit need to be 1962-1965 Fairlane specific. If other years are included likely they will not fit.

loudbang likes this.
  6. 6sally6

6sally6

upload_2019-6-26_22-14-51.jpeg Are we talking about THESE headers?!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I always liked Hooker 6901. Fit everything from a Falcon to a Maverick. As with any aftermarket part though, some mods might be required with a BFH here or there.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Five o Fairlane

Five o Fairlane

loudbang likes this.
  9. The '62-65 Fairlane had its own specific front suspension that was similar to but not the same as any other Ford product, if you want headers that fit well you need a set that are specific-fit for that application. Or go with the repo 289 HiPo cast-iron exhaust manifolds, they were originally designed for the Fairlane, so they're a bolt-in. The 60-65 Falcon/Comet engine compartment is about 1.25" narrower than a Mustang, so Mustang headers don't always fit those either. The HiPo manifolds will fit the Falcon/Comet with a bit of grinding on the steering box and drivers side manifold.

From '66 up, small block headers will pretty much interchange between Mustangs, Fairlanes, Falcons, etc but that's not always true before that.

Doug Thorley used to have the best-fitting headers for the early Fairlanes and Falcon/Comets, they are a bit of a chore to install but you shouldn't need to pull the motor. IIRC, you may need to disconnect the drivers side motor mount and lift that side a bit.

10. Fomoco998

Fomoco998

62-65 Fairlane are their own platform . When I did a 63 wagon I used swap meet Hi-Po headers worked good with a 4 speed . If memory is right even the specific fit headers had to be tweaked for z-bar clearance.

11. Contact the guys over at FPA(Ford Powertrain Applications... I think) they will have a solution for you, but it won't be cheap.
    Quality product & support!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have two left side exhaust manifolds hangin in my garage that are , 64 65 Comet 4 speed manifolds , they look very similar to the HIPO but not the same . Right side is same as a Mustang , shoots straight out the back . I’m betting TRI Y Mustang will fit and fix you up fat

13. BFXJason

BFXJason

I have owned and raced my '65 Fairlane since 1993.
    IMG_1934.JPG

Always had a small block and clutch. I can tell you headers were never the fun part. The enging compartment is narrow and NOT the same as a Mustang or Falcon.

Hooker makes a header - part number 6134. They are tight and changing the plugs is a pain but can be done. I actually ended up modifying the shock towers with a "Thunderbolt" kit just to give it more room.

I have a set made to the Hooker shape, but used larger tubes (1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8"). I used a slip on collector and made the tubes individual to make it easier to install / remove. I then had to make a custom transmission cross-member to clear the collectors. Here are some pictures:
    IMG_5977.JPG IMG_5978.JPG IMG_5979.JPG

I have been through a lot with the old girl. Again, headers where never the fun part, but we always figured it out.

14. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Aeesome looking car !!!

BFXJason likes this.