Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Waterproof pin connectors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Jun 26, 2019.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try looking at Del City. They seem to list amp ratings for all their various connectors.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Del City shows there weather pack connectors rated at 20 amps and the metri pack at 30 amps.

4. Colin HD

Colin HD

5. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

The real Delphi Weather Pack pins are all 20 amp max amperage. 10-12, 14-16 and 18-20 pins all are 20 amp rated. EBay Chinese knock offs who knows.

6. Ziggster

Ziggster

At one of my old employers we either used WeatherPack (General Motors) or Deutsch. I personally used Deutsche on my truck for anything electrically I added due to their smaller footprint and higher quality.

https://deutschconnectorstore.com/

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have been poking around Del City and I think I understand how to put to gether a connector by the parts, I think! Surprised at the 20a rating in all wire sizes, was hoping for a 10ga wire but they only go to 12ga..The Deutsch DTP goes to 10ga but I couldn't find amp rating and parts needed for an assembly a little more difficult to figure out..

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

One of the things I learned bending wrenches in the .mil is electrical connectors cause LOTS of weird faults. Any electrical connection is just another potential failure point, and it's just a matter of "when". Those WeatherPack connectors are OK but don't seem all that resistant if they are directly exposed to road spray and grime, they need a good coating of Dielectric grease on the rubber packing or O-ring to work right. Crack one open and if you see green corrosion on the pins and receptacles it needs to get cleaned up and new silicone applied.

9. Try this site; pick a size and it gives all the options for a complete assembly...

https://www.wirecare.com/deutsch-assembler?contacts=2&family=Industrial&series=dtp

As far as I'm concerned if you want plug connections these should be your only choice. Better quality terminals (not the flimsy tin ones the weatherpaks use) that are easier to crimp (with the right tool, natch, although there are 'generic' crimpers for these that don't cost an arm and a leg that work just fine), and much easier to assemble/disassemble, with superior weather sealing. Not cheap, but if you want the best...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thanks.. I will head there later; got to get the AC running weather being miserable..

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

In my experiences I found nothing to be “ water proof” ! The best you can hope for is water resistant!

Bones

firstinsteele and RidgeRunner like this.
  12. Try Terminal Supply, it’s who we use at work and they have great, cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

14. Yeah, that's the one shortcoming with Deutsch; you can't do just any combination in every configuration...
    I would be careful about which terminals you get; Deutsch does make a cheesy tin terminal similar to what the weatherpaks uses for some OEM applications, those are a PITA to crimp and aren't as good. You want the solid copper ones like Wirecare sells. I'm sure others have them too.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I haven't been getting notifications so just found this post..You are right about the cheesy stamped connectors [I was agonizing over how to crimp], no solid ones were available in the size/amp I needed from the supplier I tried but then I just recently found that wirecare had them so I got some tubes, don't know why I didn't find them before....The crimpers are $$$$$..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  16. There's 'generic' Deutsch crimpers on eBay for about $40 that work fine... https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Deutsch+crimpers&_sacat=0

The difference is the genuine one has 8 crimp 'pins', the generics only have 4. Solution is crimp twice; do the first, then rotate 45 degrees and go again...

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'm going to jump on the generic, thanks..I got to get more pins too, seems I added 4 + 4 and still got 4!

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Up date..I got some crimpers for just under $40 for Deutsch pins..Claimed to do 12ga but there was a "but'..12ga had to go in backwards so the other end of wire could not be attached as the pin shoulder dia is a hair too big [at .187] so wouldn't clear pincers..I set up crimpers in BP and ran a .187 dia. end mill through till pin would go in to just about flush with crimper surface...Perfect.

19. Ziggster

Ziggster

Just caught up on this thread. To really do it properly you really need the proper dies for each terminal size. It does get very spendy fast for us hobbyists, but it is worth in the end to avoid potential trouble shooting headaches down the road. Just was at Bell/Textron Helicopter the other day in Mirabel, QC and all their wire harnesses are made in Mexico with only custom and first-off production made in house. Thought that was a bit strange for avaiation industry, but what do I know...