Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quandary

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 24, 2019.

1. 4tford

4tford

not at 73 yrs old but I have a 440 with a 727 that needs a home if the right roller is out there I might go for it.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  2. Quandaries? I'll say!
    I have two, no three, project cars taking up space. 40 coupe, 41 pickup, 33 5W.
    My roadster, after 32 years, is now too uncomfortable to drive long distance due to old age joint issues.
    My 32 sedan is not quite right (yet).
    Thinking about selling or trading the roadster for a tri-five Chevy or Ford, or a wagon.
    Then there's this finished, local 40 coupe coming up for sale...….I could sell the roadster and my 40 coupe project and buy it.
    I'm going in circles, and it's frustrating. My brain hasn't aged as fast as my body and bank account...….

3. I hear you brother! :) HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's my Achilles heel.

lumpy 63 and dana barlow like this.
  5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Offer to take a project trade in on the ford?
    ....or there's the old ford pickup you've been meaning to get around to?
    Could be like the kid with the new/old toy since its been in the toy box so long......?:)

6. I turn 50 this year. Got a couple projects after I get my GMC done but really just want to go play with cars bicycles and skis with my girlfriend. So, finish some loose ends and build a keeper.

7. That's a thought, the trade idea that is, My grandson ask me about the '65 Ford truck in the barn when he was home for fathers day a couple of weeks ago and I am going to give it to him when he graduates Florida State. HRP

8. then there's the other side.... built a 64 Nova two years ago for grandson( he wanted it!!).........1 1/2 years of work plenty of cash, and damn if he didn't sell it for a roached out ring ding Nissan.......never again.................

9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

37 is real close to being back on the road...57 still in paint jail . Nostalgia Sids is dropping the axle for the 58 big window. The Lark is still surprising the shit out of unsuspecting bystanders:D Seems like the 29 roadster only comes out around the 4th of July. Then there is the daily driver 56...More projects? NOPE! ....But hang on a second , just saw something on CLo_O

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do it while you're still able to and still motivated. Also, there is no reason to get in a hurry. I tell people, "It's like eating an elephant. You do it one bite at a time. Some days, I'm starving and some days I'm not hungry." Eventually, I get finished and, so far, there is always another one to do. I won't, however, ever take 2 apart at the same time again. One project, along with keeping the others going and driving them, is enough.

mountainman2 and dan31 like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

YES! I'll be making the final payment and picking it up this weekend, a car I've wanted for over 50 years. Bob

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hopefully it's a fully wired and running car :D If not then why bother :D:D:D

The37Kid likes this.
  13. I have a phrase I use often: I'm old and not that broke. I'm planning on building until I can't because I can't move. I need to sell one to provide seed money. In today's market, I'll probably have to give it away. We do have to pay for entertainment in life. :) When we loose the passion and desire for every day, we become a watcher instead of a doer.

WB69, rockable and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been there as well-built one for a friend-really nice 40-he immediately sold it. Also built one for my son-many hrs! Lots of friends contributed their time as well. His wife didn't like it-sold it to help buy a fancy house-oh well-he will never have another one that reasonable.
    On the lookout for another now before I can't do it anymore. When you are young and able, funds are tight. When you are old, money is there but a bit harder to do.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Those comment are why it rings so true when they say that something that comes easily is never fully appreciated.

All of the expense and effort put into projects and then they are casually discarded for some other thing or reason.

That's why I'm a firm believer in "If you want it, work for it and put in the time and effort to get it.

Maybe that way you'll fully appreciate what it took to get there.

16. sedantudor

sedantudor

I always have another project in mind. At the age of 42 and three daughters (18, 15, and 8) I have plenty of vision and desire, just a shortage time and I suffer from the ever painful disease called fundsarelow. Fortunately we have the 47 that we drive the wheel off of every year and we do a little more to it every year. At this rate the car may be "done" by 2030. But it is all about getting out, driving, and having a good time with the family. I do have a 1937 Pt-50 Plymouth pickup that I bought when I was 18 years old. Chassis is done, trans is done, engine has changed about half a dozen times. Make progress when I can. I have a few more left in me to build always searching for that dream car which for me is 29 model A any body style other than a four door. 33 or 34 tudor sedans, well looks like I have a few more to build than I originally thought. Just need the time and money.

17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

What are you going to do with the pickup ?

18. @ekimneirbo . Right now it's on the front burner to build first.
    Thanks for asking.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

ONE WIRE! The magneto kill switch.:):):):)
    Bob

20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If the flame on the burner begins to flicker, let me know. ;)

hotrodA likes this.
  21. stpaulsdealmaker

stpaulsdealmaker

Danny , I too like to go out and work on the old cars but with that being said it takes so long to finish anything , I make a list of "THINGS TO DO' on each Rod that seems to help but it takes 8 hrs to do a 2 hr job, and it seems I have to put off other things that need doing to work on the cars, I do have 7 cars and like all them but some need to go, I like to buy a car that is running and fix or change things for the better, don't believe at 69 I want to do a whole build any more because I don't have the patience to put up with a painter or upholstery man lying out his ass to me !!!

22. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

It happens a lot. Guess they just don't understand.

23. Follow the passion and build ASAP and ride around in style.

24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a buddy who is 80 and he's looking for a project because he's bored. He has about 5 nice completed cars but nothing to work on. He will definitely have another project before the end of the year because he can't stand to just sit around and wax his cars.

greaser and The37Kid like this.
  25. I have 6 started dont think I will get them done before I'm too old. If I do I have 3 toy cars to finish. Cant see me quitting.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid likes this.
  26. I am going to be 76 next week, and my plan is to do some modifications on my 55, and my son's 47 International. I don't intend to stop working, I am actually building a new 2,000 sq ft, two story garage, and will play in there 'till I croak.
    Bob

27. Saw you sold the 32 mor door......do you need suggestions how to spend the money ?

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just finishing up my Morris Minor gasser project. At 70 this will be my last race only scratch built car.
    Very satisfying starting with chalk marks on the floor and building everything and hearing it crank for the first time.
    my wife and I would like to have a chopped sedan for a street car, so it never ends.

29. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have five projects waiting for retirement, which is in about a year and a half. I figure that's going to keep me busy for quite a while so I'm not really looking for anything new. But if the right deal came along...

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have time to work on my in-progress project now.

To make matters worse, the guy who rents me space has stuck me with a car that I told him not to buy, that will take a couple months of weekends, just to make it safe enough to drive.

I guess there's always next year.