Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6V Generator to 12V to Alternator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreenMonster48, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Long winded post warning-

Years ago on my ‘48 F-1, I was running 6V positive ground with a 6V generator. I replaced the wiring with a stock style wiring harness from Dennis Carpenter.
    I eventually upgraded to 12v negative ground, and had the same generator converted, installed 12v regulator, bulbs, Runtz’s, etc.
    Everything has been running pretty well for the last 4 or 5 years.
    Over this past weekend I was a little careless while doing some electrical work and I believe I fried my regulator.
    Lately I’ve been considering installing a few modern conveniences like electric wipers, and an electric fan. Would it be worth it to upgrade to an alternator at this time, or is a generator stout enough to handle the extra load? If I switch to alternator what would I need to change beside the bracket? I know there are a lot of threads on converting gen to alt on the 60’s Cars. Same procedure?
    Thanks in advance

2. I just did this on my 48 coupe. I took the easy way out and went with a one wire alternator and eliminated the voltage regulator on the firewall altogether. Just one wire from the alternator to the starter solenoid side that feeds into the fusebox.

firstinsteele and GreenMonster48 like this.
  3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Thoughts...............when I converted my latest jalopy, it still had the original style regulator, that I think looks pretty cool. I needed a place for a horn relay, so I gutted the regulator and installed a relay inside. It's all connected to the regulator's original terminal lugs inside. With it all wired up on the outside, it looks factory.

Hnstray and GreenMonster48 like this.
  4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Electric wipers on a 12 Volt generator, probably will work OK, might be getting close to the output limit (Amps) on a dark rainy night with headlights, heater blower and wipers.

Add electric fans, and step up to an alternator. NOTE: The ammeter and the associated wiring in your stock '48 F-1 will NOT be up to the extra charging current.

Hnstray likes this.

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

isnt there an aftermarket alternator that looks like a generator? i was thinking of using one, i really want my rod to be as authentic looking as possible without suffering too much

6. There is, but it's output is the same as the generator it replaces unfortunately... and expensive.

oliver westlund likes this.
  7. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

dang, that sucks....

8. Electric fans use a fair amount of power, the generator will be marginal at best.

9. Garpo

Garpo

Do the sums. A generator on 12v probably has an output of 25-30 amps, depending on how it was set up. Not hard to measure it properly.
    Then total up the units using that power, or just turn everything on and see if the generator copes with the load at about 25mph. . Just might be fine. Look for a volt meter reading about 14.5v with all on and battery charged.
    I run a wee alternator of unknown origin - puts out 35 amps max. That handles wipers / heater /lights and driving lights along with the ignition.
    It is only when you up the output that you need to look at charge wiring and ammeter. I see no need for 100 amps.
    Garpo

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  10. I get the ammeter part, but why wouldn't the wiring be up to task?

11. GreenMonster, I used a GM [ Delco?] one wire on my mine. Rebuilt one from O'Reilly's. Been on there since 2012. To get around the possible wiring problem mentioned above, simply run a large [ 8ga] wire from the alternator to the battery post or starter. I bypassed the amp gauge. I use a volt meter.

Ben

12. If it is original and in good condition, the 6V wiring will be fine. It is bigger [ more capacity] than 12V.

Ben

13. That was my understanding too. Just to clarify, the replacement wiring harness has a plastic covering over the wires, then there is a cloth covering on top of that, its not just cloth over copper like original. Much safer.

firstinsteele likes this.
  14. Those things are like $400 bucks. I looked at them too. Unfortunately I'm on a "let's see what's in my shed and use that" budget

15. Well, for what it's worth, I took my generator apart and one of the springs that holds the brush out let go. I was tempted to merely replace the spring for $5, but the bearing seemed kind of worn. A friend had a new Y-Block generator on the shelf that already had the ears cut off. I drilled the locating hole and installed it and am good to go.