Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical juice brakes - making my own lines - question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cederholm, Jun 24, 2019.

1. cederholm

cederholm

Hi guys, I need to build some brakes likes for my model A. Fitting '39-'49 hardware. What size/thread fitting and tubing to I need?

I'd like to buy a straight tubing. Any advice on where to buy from? I'd prefer straight pipe over a coil.

Thanks,
    Carl

2. mohead1

mohead1

Most of the larger stores have various brake lines straight sections up to several feet (3-4 ft). Theypst times have a fitting or two on them. Cut it to length, remove fittings, flare as needed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. couple questions to ask...

What front brakes are you using? 49 F1?
    What rear brakes are you using? 39 ?
    What Master cylinder are you using? early Ford single reservoir ? or late model dual reservoir?

The early Ford Hydraulic brakes used 1/4 inch lines, I would recommend the use of the new NiCop lines. They form and flare with ease and you can buy sticks at you local parts store these days. With 1/4 inch lines you would use 7/16 inch fittings, on the brake lines. If you are buying the premade sticks makes sure you get ones with standard fittings and not metric, they don't like to mix.

There are several Orginal type fittings that you can get from Mac's or The Early Ford Store that make the job easier and look really killer, but that is dependent upon which brakes and master you are using.

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I use 1/4 cooper/nickel on all my Early Ford stuff. I use 1/2" 20 and 9/16" 18 fittings on all my master cylinders for tighter line fitment especially on x membered cars.

deathrowdave and Texas Webb like this.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Roll of copper / nickel of correct size is your answer . You will thank yourself many times over

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. I plumbed the '28 and '47 with 1/4" line that way you don't need to run adapters.

7. what Brakes and Master are you running?

8. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

Just finished taking mechanical brakes of 35 pickup and putting on juice brakes and I used steel 1/4”lines. All lines I have ever taken off of a 39 to 48 Ford were 1/4”. My new wheel cylinders were made for 1/4”line.

9. cederholm

cederholm

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm using Speedway cylinders on all four corners and a mustang master.

10. cederholm

cederholm

DeathrowDave, how do you get the lines straight when using a roll? I fear the waves and curves from the coil will set off my OCD.

~ Carl

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine was 3/16 Stainless but I bought a roll and used this. One pass and it is straight.
    upload_2019-6-25_14-18-43.png

deathrowdave and cederholm like this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

My method of straightening coiled tubing is to bend the first foot or so straight, put in on the garage floor, stand on it and unroll the tubing pressing against the floor as I go. This gets it pretty straight, after I cut off the desired length I adjust by hand, sighting along the tube to be sure it is straight.
    Then put all kinds of bends in it to fit the car.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It pretty easy , you really will not need as much straight tubing as you think you will . I use a set of rollers of just my eye . It is super easy to deal with .

14. cederholm

cederholm

Thanks for the advice guys!