Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wrecking yards from days gone by

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Early Ironman, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

For as far back into my childhood as I can remember. Visiting the local wrecking yard was something my father and I did at least twice a week together.
    I used to love poking around looking at all the cool old cars there. The folks who owned and worked at the local yards were almost like family to me.

Still enjoy poking around, but your lucky to find anything old anymore.

I am willing to bet that nearly all of us would like to walk back down those muddy memory lanes.
    Just wish we would have taken a bunch of pictures back then. So I resort to Google instead.
    If anyone had the foresight to take pictures back in the day.
    Please share here. IMG_7145.JPG IMG_7144.JPG IMG_7143.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

3. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Is that heaven.....?

OLSKOOL57, Montana1, Hnstray and 5 others like this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

For Me and my friends back in the 60's, Junkyards were our parts house, from engines, trannys, rear end pumpkins, axels, tires, still remember Tri5 chevy came out front like a Ford 9", 6 stick car 4:11 ring and pinion. The 0wners in Milwaukee area were good to us kids, very helpful with knowledge, one in particular for me and many young carnuts was Big Jim Gish, owned Bradley Auto Salvage. If we dinged a fender the junkyard had one, different times for sure, I have many good memories and met a lot of good people when I was a kid, I was/am a Lucky man

OLSKOOL57, Hnstray, Stogy and 3 others like this.

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I like the junkyards as well, but I am really leery of stacked cars.

[​IMG]

OLSKOOL57, MO54Frank, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, it's Iowa.

Stogy, Early Ironman and williebill like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

By the way Billy, did you see that cable tv show (don't remember the name) about wrecking yards that featured Todd and All American Classics.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I missed that! If you figure out what it was let me know or maybe Spooky still works there, he would know. I saw Todd at a cruise in last weekend in his yellow 69 drop top Camaro. I always liked Todd, bought more than one rig from him over the years and countless parts. His personal collection at home is a sight.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

10. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Stogy likes this.
  11. brad2v

brad2v

12. Those pictures are of vehicles that where few and far between when I was a teen. In the 1950,s everyone wanted a brand new vehicle. It was a status symbol. And as soon as the new vehicle was paid for another new one took its place. Driving a 40,s or older vehicle in the 1950's was a sign of poverty. I remember my dad parking a real good 1948 ford panel truck in 1958. sold it for $40 and thought he got big money.

13. Junk yards actually sold parts back then. Do they even sell parts at salvage yards anymore? Does anyone go to the salvage yard to get parts to fix their Kia or Toyota now?

Stogy likes this.
  14. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Yes they do sell parts . I still go to buy parts for my granddaughters Jeep. Always needs something and their parts are cheeper then the box stores.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You bet! I buy parts there sometimes for my junk, but you go to a Pull a Part and look at the Hispanics, they are everywhere! Not at all uncommon to see them buying stuff for their rice burners.

OLSKOOL57, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Like @Early Ironman , ever since childhood I was drawn to junkyards. loved walking through them...still do, but fewer opportunities now.

What never ceases to amaze me, when seeing photos like those in this thread, is how many cars survived to this day, in spite of the massive numbers scrapped over the years. Astounding!

Thanks to all for posting these photos.

Ray

17. I haven't been to a bone yard in years! I do have some pictures from back in the day. Here's some from Doniphan, MO that I came across in June of 2007. It looked like they just closed up shop and walked away...

IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5428.JPG
    IMG_5426.JPG
    IMG_5429.JPG

kidcampbell71, Stogy, tinsled and 3 others like this.
  18. I spent a lot of time at the junkyards on Salter's Creek Road in my hometown. Back in the mid-70's when I got my first car, these places were full of mid-century steel.

OLSKOOL57 and Early Ironman like this.
  19. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This Studebaker only junkyard was near where I grew up in the 60's. bert-rydlm04.jpg bert-rydlm06.jpg bert-rydlm07.jpg bert-rydlm03.jpg bert-rydlm05.jpg bert-rydlm12.jpg

20. O/T I know but damn......

DD76DC24-02D3-4354-B570-07023FD76E50.jpeg

21. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I have not been to Florida in a few years. I loved the U pull it junkyards, the one next to the Daytona Speedway was my favorite. Completely paved, Mason wheelbarrows for your toolbox, all the cars in categories by make. The cars were elevated off the ground and a large tripod on wheels for pulling engines out. This was better than Disney World and one time they had a food truck in the entranceway And the prices were terrific

23. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I love this one. That looks like my dad in about 1978. You can even see the gears turning in that head of his as he checks out that “project”

The 54 Bel Air I am building now was pulled home from the wrecking yard one month before I was born by my dad. I learned to drive when I was 8yo out on the farm in the same car.

Great pictures everyone! Keep-em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scotty t and Hnstray like this.
  24. Here's another junk yard I found in Lk. Pan, FL in 2008. They were closing things out and retiring. It's all gone now...

Neat little camper!
    IMG_2411.JPG

This boat had a big hole in the bottom.
    IMG_2408.JPG

I always thought this little Nova 4 cyl. would make a neat Tract-T or something.
    IMG_2409.JPG

kidcampbell71, Stogy, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  25. ...these are fairly recent as the last pic shows...
    jack's 11-6-17 002.jpg jack's 11-6-17 003.jpg jack's 11-6-17 004.jpg jack's 11-6-17 012.jpg jack's 11-6-17 013.jpg jack's 11-6-17 014.jpg jack's 11-6-17 031.jpg jack's 11-6-17 035.jpg jack's 11-6-17 039.jpg

26. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

That camper originally came with a boat on it’s roof.
    Can’t remember the name of them though.

Montana1 likes this.