Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garage Find: 1962 Rambler 2dr with 27k miles, but is it cool ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Jun 25, 2019.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Too funny..... Minnie was so cheap she did not get a radio or a driver's side mirror. The e-stick tranny must have been to save money since she probably couldn't drive with a third pedal.

My mother-in-law taught school in SD as well, not too far from Milbank. One of the lowest paid states for teachers.

Probably never had the seat as a bed either :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

5.60 15 tires or the radial equivalent should be easy to get, they were used on millions of VW beetles up to the late 70s. Most likely the 15 inch tires were a legacy of the original 1949 Rambler chassis, 14 and 13 inch tires were not available when it was designed.

Wonder if Walmart still sells Marshal 791 tires? They were a great fit on older cars that came originally with tall skinny bias plies.

3. Lepus

Lepus

Cool little car, I think it would make a great mild custom.

4. If you drive it with your elbow on the window sill it will be cool !!!

How cool can it be sitting in a garage not running?

Torkwrench, 49ratfink, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  5. al1630

al1630

Definitely cool the way it is. Does it have a flathead or OHV engine? If it has the OHV, make sure you retorque the cylinder head as soon as you get it running, otherwise it will blow the head gasket/crack the head.

If you need rambler help, join the amc forum or talk to @farna on here. These cars have lots of little oddities that you should know.

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Same here, there's something special about any low mile original that's been salted away in a garage.
    27,000 miles is what a lot of people put on a vehicle in the first year (!), and the ol Rambler is almost 60 years old. The car deserves to see some road time and stretch it's legs! Great example of the early 60's compact/economy cars that most manufacturers offered.

Love the fact that it came with history, owners manual, fob. Was thinking the same thing on the seat. This may have been the first time it's ever been folded down into a bed ;).
    Didn't realize the seat bed carried into the 60's.

7. egads

egads

Studebaker had 15" tire's also.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

^^^Early Tempests had 15s as well.
    I just went through a bunch of Milbank High School's yearbooks between 1950 and 1975; unfortunately there's no Minnie Ulrich listed in any of them. The books also listed the grade school teachers, but no go. Did she teach in a church or parochial school?

egads and Hnstray like this.
  9. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Nice find. Do yourself a favor and leave it as is or educate yourself about the chassis design before you take a part. It was a design resurrected from the 50s and the engine bay is short and skinny. Has a track width shorter than most cars too. Pretty much no other will fit in it except with the 196 that is already there. Some say a Ford 200 six will fit with some effort but not much else without some major frame and chassis building that is complicated by the way Rambler designed its unibody.

15" wheels are needed to clear the steering knuckles nothing smaller will fit. Also as mentioned earlier if it's a ohv 196 re- torque the had to spec as they tend to get loose and crack. The ohv head was a retrofit to the flathead block and prone to the issue I mentioned.

Bottom line it's a nice find and with the E stick maybe desirable to someone who loves Rambler Americans for what they are. Due to its compact size it's not a easy platform to hotrod. It can be done but not with significant engineering effort. I'd join the AMC forum and ask a lot of questions to educate yourself about the car before trying to mod it as you may find it's not a good base platform for that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  10. catdad49

catdad49

Don't ya just Love cars like this?! Great story, too. Love the tool kit and the fold down seat, maybe there was more to Miss Minnie than anyone knew! What a neat little piece of Americana, thanks for sharing.

OLSKOOL57, Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's very cool to me. A '62 American, flat six, three speed. Was my first car. Even thou I only drove it around my grandmothers farm. Blew the clutch and at 13 put a new one in. But got caught going out on the road and the forces to be made me get rid of it.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

...not H.A.M.B. friendly but....here you go !!
    62rambler-VI-02.jpg

Thor1, catdad49, dan31 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. It's a 1962 2-door car.
    2. It's original.
    3. It's got REAL LLLLOWWWWW miles on it.
    4. It's rust free.
    5. Its "unusual".

I vote cool. Cooler than a salmon's ass in Hudson Bay.

I would drive it just like it is until I didn't think it was cool anymore.

Thor1, catdad49, dan31 and 3 others like this.
  14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Neat little car and story!

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

Would get rid of my daily driver for something like that one.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I'll have to ask. I bet she graduated before 1950 if she stopped driving in 1978. I was told this was her second car. Whether she grew up in Millbank, I dont know.

catdad49 likes this.
  17. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I found this SD inspection slip in the manual last night. I didn't know they had required inspections back then. It had 11,200 miles in 1968. That's around 2,000 miles per year ! She didn't get out much.... 20190625_235554_resized.jpeg

18. mountainman2

mountainman2

I will agree with the majority that I would not change anything on the car. However, I would not drive it! I still attempt to maintain certain standards. ;)

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What a great find, and yeah, it's cool. Reminds me of my youth, when a buddy had one, and we drove that car to the beach or out to the canyons to hike all summer, what fun we had!

20. I would drive that to work everyday stone stock as it is!

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d give my left nut for a car like that.
    I would never change a thing.
    Cool cool car.

22. I would drive it as is, as has been said it's a time capsule, if you get tired of driving it send it down the road, there just ain't that many old ramblers left that are in good condition.

This is coming from a guy that stuffed a 500 CI caddy in one and went racing, it was fun and the car was free and in excellent condition, but that's when they were a dime a dozen.

Have fun. HRP

23. Cool car, as far as what to do with it? I agree not to change anything. I don't know if I would keep it, I only have so much space (you may have more)and although it is cool there are so many cooler cars out there. Can't let a car like that sit outside.

24. Squablow

Squablow

There is somewhere on the 'net that VW guys were getting tall skinny 15" tires really cheap that fit the 15x4 size like you have, I'd look into that before I'd swap wheels, the dog dish hubcaps would be a lot cooler than wider wheels and moons on a stocker, and if you have to buy tires anyway, this wouldn't be any more expensive.

25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Would be a fun car,I think it’s cool.:cool:
    Maybe ask one of the photoshop experts here to throw some ideas out.:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wide, positive offset steel wheels. Clean the car immaculate, and drive it.
    I did a similar trick to a Simca Arronde I bought for $150, (welded wide hoops on Simca centers...)
    But you can do with wide MoPar Police/Taxicab 15" wheels, per the 5 on 4.5" pattern. And, the slotted steel cop wheels are positive offset! The small Dodge caps (3 types) are like...Free lunch! (hub cap guys on line sell the small MoPar caps, reasonable.) W-i-d-e radial tires would also work!
    That 'NASCAR' look... Husky!

Yes, photoshop it with Dodge Diplomat 'Felony car' wheels/tires!
    Double-dog dare ya...:p

i.rant likes this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its just an old car right now and not a hot rod or cool. With the right owner it could be made into something very cool.

28. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Aunt Bea's car was a '66 Studebaker. :)

29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Not all the compacts were running 13 inchers in those days. The Studebaker Lark was only ever available with 15" wheels.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  30. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

And I now see that both of my comments had already been pointed out by others!
    This post has some traction!