Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot rodding and social media

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Jun 23, 2019.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last Friday the boss left his iPhone in the pickup, I didn't know it was there until it started ringing. It NEVER stopped ringing, no wonder the highway death rate is climbing. Bob

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO I think this is one of the big reasons why the internet business has grown so much along with pricing. Customer service is just about nonexistent anywhere/everywhere today including pick up items purchased (shipping usually acceptable) recently purchased item from big box store (Menards) from ad flyer, paid for it online as it was a legit real deal on a closeout item, OK, travel 60 miles to pickup item w/trailer, took 10 minutes to find an employee in pick up area, who had to call for a manager, wait another 10 minutes for him who checks in my paperwork, calls for someone to finally load, apparently that guy is on lunch break, I'll have to wait 15 minutes, now about 35 minutes of waiting, I mention to manager if he can load, I've already waited for 35 minutes, No, not his job to load items. OK, a nice high school kid finally shows up, has to find item, another 10 minutes and brings it on a fork truck, starts to set on trailer vertical, I wanted it horizontal, he's confused as how to tip it over, (asked, had no training and no one to help him or ask as he is working alone today) so I instruct him how to do it carefully to avoid damage, we get it on trailer and I strap it down, away we go, 1 1/2 hours involved including maybe 10/15 minutes to strap it on trailer. This is an example of customer service that's all too common today from my experience's . "It Is What It Is" covers so many things today.

jvo likes this.
  3. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Now you know why he left it in your truck!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  4. If I had had the possibility to travel and enter the door to talk with Jason Slover when I bought the I-Beam axle it would have been great ... but I had to exchange several emails with him... all OK. We bringed it and installed it on a 32 roadster in Argentina. Of course I prefer the old way of observing with my eyes what interests me ... Go to a junkyard and negotiate with the owner face to face.

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I started the #newenglandkulture FB group, page, & Instagram efforts over the past couple years because social media, when utilized in a healthy manner, is an amazing tool to share things like events and pictures of cool stuff. I thought New England would benefit from something like it to facilitate folks reaching beyond their immediate friend circle and also to reach younger audiences with hopes of sparking the same interest and joy we derive from Hot Rods and Kustom Kulture type things. I have enjoyed doing it and I like to think I've made at least some small, beneficial, impact on the community with it.

6. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I am not on Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, or anything like that. I don't want to share my life and, the few friends that I have don't give a hoot about what I am doing. I found this site over a year ago and joined for the pictures and slowly accumulated some of the vast knowledge that is available here. I have an Android phone that I inherited from my wife when she purchased he iPhone that does everything except reproduce. I have a few on my contact list and that's it.
    I prefer to look at a part and talk with a person far better than "add to cart"'

I am a dinosaur but I'm a Happy one.

7. trollst

trollst

Maybe I'm lucky, cause I live in an area with no cell phone service, I have a flip phone that we use when we travel. My computer is maybe 15 years old? Ten for sure, slow, I use the internet for entertainment and for the research library it is, I DO NOT buy online, I DO NOT shop online, I want to see your ugly face and shake your hand, I buy from my mom and pop store all the time, but I can't help being caught up in todays world, hard as I try to avoid it.
    Used to be, you shook a mans hand, there was no back room dealing, I've learned and still am, about every fucking way someone can scam you, steal from you or cheat you, even here amongst men of my ilk. Yes, the world is a different place, used to be if you were cheated, you tracked down the offender and solved the issue, been on that satisfying street myself a time or two, but now, those guys fold their tent and are gone into the wild blue.
    Yes, I don't like the changes in my world, and so far.....I'm careful how I manage my life, I'll die before I become "connected". I think what I dislike the most is the internets power to make otherwise stupid people famous, and to give those with anonimity a voice to speak "their truth"and think their opinions matter more than they do, their power is based on how many faceless "likes" they get, how many other stupid people will follow them into the netherworld, where rational thoughts don't exist.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Early Ironman and Petejoe like this.
  8. I love the old ways of my youth but all the cool old junkyards are long gone and if it were not for the sites on Facebook and here as well I would not building my current hot rod.
    As you guys on here call it "The Brown Clown" is my new best friend...he is wearing tracks into my dirt driveway...yes the internet is saving me for sure...do I miss landlines and the old shaking of hands deals...I sure do but that is why I rebuilding an old heap in my back door yard...trying to recapture that era one more time...
    my 2 cents again
    MikeC

9. Commodore 64

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Lately I've been thinking that the computer may be the most evil thing ever unleashed on mankind!

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Internet and social media have changed our world immensely. I have been to farm auctions where a guy use to have a CHANCE to buy a part or project car. Now internet advertising the auction has brought out the out of town and stater's with their suits and ties and cellphone bidding. I saw one guy constantly on the cellphone buy damn near every car or car part at a local farm auction while we just stared in amazement. The city dogs have come to the country. LOL. And like they say, I'm gonna buy all this shit and ain't nuthin you hicks can do about it!! LOL. Lippy

12. Some really great responses. It is very interesting to see how other people see social media and how its viewed. Keep the responses coming this is a great discussion.

13. S.F.

S.F.

I disagree. A lot of the guys that used to visit this site are on Instagram now, all the show info and updates are on there live by the thousands, a lot of the early Ford parts are on there for sale now, so much so its hard to keep track of because there is so much. Recently I sent an axle to a guy on there and had him drop it, its in the mail on its way back. Wouldn't have known about him otherewise.... We're still hot rodding. Most are in there 30's and younger, Its the next generation.

patmanta and Early Ironman like this.
  14. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

How about Ryan makes a less traditional option.
    He could call it InstaHAMB!

For a run what you brung no judgement show and tell!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. S.F.

S.F.

Ryan is on Instagram.

patmanta likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

EXPLAIN THIS, since you know how it works. What is Instagram? What dopes it do that the HAMB can't? Do I need a F---ing iPhone?

Bob

HemiTCoupe and trollst like this.
  17. S.F.

S.F.

Its just another trend man.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Hot Rodding is DEFINITLY on its way out as vintage tin is drying up and the youngsters are just not that interested. the end should come any day now since the first time I read this was in Rod Action in the 70's.

19. S.F.

S.F.

I had to re-read that , haha...I was about to say, i know tons of young dudes still building hot rods. A buddy of mine just sold his 32 roadster to a 26 year old dude in the military.

patmanta and 49ratfink like this.
  20. We are out here, though it can seem (and to some degree true) that it is a trend that is slowly fading with the younger generations. It seems that if a younger person (including myself at 27) has any sort of interest into old cars it tends to sway to muscle cars. I think that is a correlation to other forms of entertainment that we grew up with. Movies such as the modern Gone in 60 Seconds, the various Fast and Furious movies, all the different car/racing video games, the go to old cars are various Shelby Mustang's, 69 Camaro's, 70 Chevelle's, Bandit Trans Am, etc. It wasn't until a couple of years ago did a video game even have a "hot rod" type car where a 32 Ford was finally added.

I know my childhood wasn't anywhere near most people in my age group as I was always surrounded by early rods and customs and I would think alot of the people that are into the old stuff have similar upbringings. It seems to be a rare thing for a kid to get sucked into traditional rods and "k"ustoms with family thats not already into it. If they do like Model A's and 32's they head to Rat Rods is seems like. I could be wrong, but its just my observations from how it is around me when in the Portland area and the younger car scene.

Joemama likes this.
  21. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools. Social Media, smart phones etc are all tools when properly used in the context being asked about by the OP. If you use them as such they work wonders. It makes me laugh everytime I hear an old guy say "I don't need to know what someone is having for lunch so I don't do social media" as it show just how little they actually know about what goes on outside their bubble. I almost never see what someone is eating for lunch (Flop posts Taco's once in a while;))on any social media I follow because I choose not to but I do see what guys like Brian Bass, Jeff Myers, Flop, Keith Tardel, RoyalShifter etc are doing almost every day.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Hot Rod Ron, GreenMonster48 and S.F. like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I know you can't answer for others but why do you think those guys dumped the HAMB family, and went some were where we can't find them? Flop does post once in a while. Bob

seabeecmc likes this.
  23. My guess (and this is pertaining to Instagram) is it's easier, less time consuming and less restrictive. You don't feel obligated to put together an elaborate thread with in depth descriptions of what you are doing and a bunch of pictures put in the right order to show everything, you generally don't have to read through and answer a bunch of questions about what you post and answer them all, you don't have guys asking for updates all the time, you can post whatever you like (some people do have interests outside of traditional hot rods). It is way less of a commitment that being on a forum and if you are working all day then going home to your family at night grabbing your phone when you are in the middle of doing something and taking a quick pic or two and posting is just less of a project.

From a followers perspective, for those that have varied interests, there is really nothing better. I follow drummers, custom painters, upholsters, vintage Land Rover guys, vintage Porsche guys, bands, artists etc and in 10 minutes I can check up on what all of them are doing. That would take me hours if I had to go to a separate forum for every interest I have. Now I am certainly not gaining the same kind of information I would if I was on a forum for all those things but that's not really what I am after. I just find it interesting and cool to be able to see what all those different people are doing.

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The biggest issue I have with social media is the serious lack of interpersonal skills people have anymore. On-line everyone has an opinion and a brave little keyboard on which they express themselves. HAMB bench racing ought to be an ESPN 25 motorsport. People used to talk to each other, more importantly they used to listen to each other. I like playing around on the HAMB but I don't prefer it over having a beer with my friends at the local bar or garage night at a buddies place turning wrenches, pulling corks and talking about anything the hell we want.

How does that effect business (the OP's original query)? Most people these days would rather do business on the internet where they don't have to deal with other humans. I am a mortgage lender and my main competition is internet based companies. I have decades more experience, I employ a seasoned staff, I can do for my clients what rocket mortgage can't even dream of but to the borrowers, grabbing their phone and using their thumbs is easier than actually talking to a human and using their words.

I like the internet, I cant imagine life without it. 30 years ago it didn't exist, 30 years from now you would never recognize this planet (not that many of us will be here to experience it). Use it to better your existence, gather knowledge, find a soul mate, chat with your pen pals. Just don't forget that reality and real relationships start when you log off.

25. Theres an opportunity there for posters with large followings to be compensated by advertisers on those sites.

We haven't had a tech week since 2015

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Give it time, your prediction (and mine) will someday play out.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  27. S.F.

S.F.

The general reason I hear most is because they got tired of being attacked here on the HAMB

28. rust&patina

rust&patina

29. They’re easy to find, you just aren’t on the right platform.

Quite frankly, a lot of people grew tired of scrolling past all the bullshit posts to get to good content. You can customize other platforms to your own interests and not have to see a bunch of crap, or get unsolicited advice.
    The technical part of this site and other web forums are priceless, but honestly, next time you look for info, look at the date of the post, I guarantee any quality information is at least a few years old.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you know how that works do you care to share the step by step process?

stanlow69 likes this.