Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sheet Metal Spot Welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Voh

Voh

Is there someone around the New Braunfels / Austin / San Antonio area that would like to take a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon to teach me what I'm doing wrong when I spot weld sheetmetal? i watch all the different threads and builds that make it look so easy. I'm sure its a simple trick, but I am not getting it.

VOH

2. What is going wrong?

3. Are you using an actual spot welder, or doing rosette welds?

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Are you talking spot welds or tack welds on sheet metal?

5. Voh

Voh

Sorry, i said spot welds, but stitch welds is a better description. I’m talking about butt welds for patch panels.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Voh

Voh

Seems to be blowing thru a lot. Seems to be high welds, so it’s hard to blend in.

7. Voh

Voh

Eastwood 135. Using argon/Co2.

8. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

It sounds like the welder is set to high. Start on the lowest setting or up one setting. To blend in you will have to grind the bead

9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

A stitch weld usually refers to welds made with a MIG machine with a timer that starts and stops the weld at preset intervals.
    Sounds like you are manually tack welding butt joints.
    Blowing through sounds like wide gap or heat setting too high for the gauge of metal.
    High build could mean heat too low and no penetration or too long on the trigger.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How thick of wire are you using?

11. Yep that’s important

12. .023 .025 Wire for sheet metal and sounds like heat to high

13. Does that machine have a settings chart?
    Is the polarity correct for mig welding ?

14. Does that machine have a hot start /soft start mode?

15. Welding new metal or rust old stuff? Or as is often the case new to old rusty stuff? That can be tricky as the old metal can be really thin.

16. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Wire feeding too fast will do it every time.........for me at least:eek::mad:

17. Practice on the bench on some identical scrap metal. Then go to the car.

saltflats likes this.
  18. lake_harley

lake_harley

Rule of thumb I heard years ago is 1 amp per .001" steel thickness. So, 18 Ga is about .049" I think so somewhere around 45-50 amps. I think I'd start a bit lower amps than that and do some practice pieces like suggested above and go from there. Hope this is helpful.

Lynn

19. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Stop! If you are welding on the actual car you cherish and love more than anything in the whole world??Start by cutting up some scrap metal pieces the same gauge as your car and then practice a bunch. It is really easy to learn mig welding. You have to start by dialing the machine in properly the wire feed and heat setting have to be just right also the gas has to be flowing properly. The metal should be as close together as possible and likes to be clean. Sometimes also if the shop doors are open a good breeze can carry away the shielding quality of the gas making poor welds. You need to get the FEEL of welding to get competent at it ,then confidently weld on your ride. You do understand the tricks to weld patch panels in without major warping of panels.... right?