Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods UPS Claims issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiboy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Have them deliver to the wrong address. I can't see how that happens...

2. 24riverview

24riverview

Must of had a different person packing, the magazines and books I bought arrived yesterday and it was the most impressive packing job I'd seen in a long time. Package had to weigh over 50 lbs and was in perfect condition, I'm a lot closer to the source though.

3. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

As far as damage goes we had much better luck with FedEx. We went back to UPS last year and every week we had a package returned. We went back to FedEx. I don't like either one of them

4. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I helped with shipping at a previous job and we received a package of light bulbs (fragments) that were packaged well. Tape was intact, but the box was flat with dual tire tracks over it. Claim denied by UPS due to inadequate packing.

5. al1630

al1630

That must be how they test if you packed something well enough. Just run a truck over it and if it's smashed, then you didn't do a good job!

6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. A I sell things on ebay I mail packages every day via USPS and very occasionally with UPS, mostly small items with USPS and larger with UPS that cannot be broken no matter what so I do not have that problem. Have had some get lost and not arrive. Some important things to always remember when mailing packages are -
    Signature is not required unless you pay for insurance OR pay for signature confirmation required. When you are relying on the free insurance up to certain value I am not sure they get signature on those. I do not think so.
    If package gets a delivery scan it is over and done with on a not received claim as that is legal proof of delivery. Shipping company is NOT responsible after delivery but neither are you. Delivery scan does not protect you from damaged items though.
    If the package gets damaged in any way it is always YOUR fault for not packaging strong enough and they will deny your claim. If you package a heavy item in a package and if it gets dropped and damaged it is always considered YOUR fault by the shipper. Some years ago there was a window clerk at local post office where I lived at the time that thought it was neat on his part to take packages from counter, turn around and chunk it into the rolling bins against the wall. If you said anything he said he was giving it the drop test. If your package was heave it could easily survive falling onto those soft packages below it but no telling how many of the earlier packages tot messed up. Complaining did not help. At least I never had one of my packages messed up with that.
    The pass egg drop test with a 5# to whatever weight or even heavier package off the roof is about what is needed to have a chance for an insurance claim. That way you will not have a claim.
    Good luck, Jimmie

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I've had a couple things that had shipping problems. I believe that most forklift drivers also participate in those contests where they combat machines against one another..."battlebots" or something like that. But that being said, there are people who do not pack things very well. I purchased an Eaton Weatherhead hose making crimp machine. Paid $2k for it including shipping. When it arrived at my friends business, I was not on hand for the delivery, so there was no acknowledgement by the driver that it was damaged. The crate it was in looked like it was cobbled from a redneck chicken coop...but it came from Oregon. Really P.O.S. crate. I took some pictures of the crate/pallet in his parking lot to show the problem. Contacted the seller and told him I had found the replacement parts and would gladly install them myself for free. I told him it would cost less than $100 for all the parts and the shipping and that I thought most shipping companies would refund that amount. He was a real a**hole. Claimed that we must have damaged it when the forklift picked it up, backed up 4 feet on a smooth asphalt lot, and set it down.....rather than being damaged during the 1800 mile journey from Oregon to Ky. Since I had emailed him, I had copies of the interchange, so I contacted Ebay/Paypal. They said to continue to try to work it out, and that I had to get an estimate from a business to repair the unit. Estimate ended up being about $350. Sent that to Paypal and they called the company and verified the estimate. Then they told me that on high dollar transactions (above $800 or so), they don't negotiate partial settlements. Its all or nothing...and they REFUNDED the entire amount to me. I said the guy would still have to set up something to pay for returning the crimper because it was sure to be somewhat expensive. They said I was under no obligation to return the unit and that they would deal with the shipper themselves. They wouldn't tell me just what that meant. I tried emailing the guy again and still received no reply. So, I got my money back and I got to keep the crimper. Spent a hundred dollars for parts and was good to go.
    One thing I did learn though was to always pack things well when I ship anything,and if its on a pallet. or in a crate on a pallet....fasten it securely to the pallet.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had both good and bad experiences with shipping companies--mostly good.

I did have a seller place a plastic pint bottle of PRI-G fuel stabilizer in a plastic Priority Mail envelope. No packing just a plastic bottle with liquid into an envelope.

The USPS lady got out of her Jeep and was holding it by the corner with the contents dripping out. She was less than impressed. I'm surprised that it did not turn into a HAZ-MAT event. So it is not always the carriers.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The typical UPS stories; there's not just one issue with them, it's all kinds of problems. I guess it takes a lot of money to have all those big brown trucks, and grown men running around in shorts year round (???). I've had so many problems with UPS that I avoid them at all costs. Had a pair of slicks I ordered from Summit, and they claimed they were delivered, because it said so on my e-mail confirmation, delivered to my front door. I even went to the local UPS shipping center to raise heck; I did manage to get them to start seriously looking for the slicks. I then had a lady come to my door, that lived on the same street, only a couple of blocks away (not a through street however). The slicks had been delivered to her home, and her daughter signed for them (???). The daughter was a classmate of my daughter, so the name should have been obvious. The dad has De Tomaso Pantera, just as a side note. So, I drive over and get the slicks, go home and call UPS telling them what happened. About an hour later UPS calls me back, "good news, we've found the slicks and will be delivering them sholrtly". I should have said fine, and let them "look" for them, but instead, I told them I already had them in MY possession, and they could cancel the claim. Bunch of total ideopathic morons; also what I call TFI's (Total Fn' Idiots)!!! You know what you can do UPS!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Corn Fed and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  10. Binkman

Binkman

A few year ago I purchased three 9 inch Ford pumpkins from a friend back east.
    He shipped them individually.
    When they arrived the driver backed up into my driveway and took out part of my arbor with the rear of his truck.
    He left a note saying UPS would pay to repair it.
    I called and there was no record of the shipments, they were deleted somehow. The tracking number was no good.
    I had a friend who worked at UPS and he got me in touch wit the local manager.
    Same story - no suck shipment.
    In other words the driver did not want to get fired so they hid the shipment and I eat it.

11. toml24

toml24

I just bought a light weight Summer shirt. It's neither Amazon or eBay. It was a pop up ad on my computer. Big mistake discovered too late. Turns out the shirt is coming from China, 6,500 miles away and a 12 hour airplane trip, then our USPS gets it. If it arrives I guess I'm happy.

12. Budget36

Budget36

Let's all go to Facebook, etc....mercy.

I got the wrong shirt sent to me....can I start a thread here?

da34guy and egads like this.
  13. yep.....when I worked for them........

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I live on a rural road about a mile long. There are three houses with a "90" in their address. 190/290/390 so the delivery guy drops a package at my house....234
    Turns out that the package was for 290 but they had no number on their mailbox....so both UPS and my neighbor are responsible. I only located who it was for because I looked up the address on Google Maps.
    Now that they have people making deliveries in their own cars, expect lots more mistakes.
    Other UPS probs are getting quotes on line that are different when you go to their dropoff center...even though you have the printout.....and finding anybody on the phone to talk to you about any quote or problem.

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

we use fed-ex ground and ups ground, we have a 2 boxes a years damage, which is nothing considering the volume, we use HEAVY DUTY AMERICAN MADE BOXES. the correct packaging will eliminate most of the damage.

16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Had that same egg off the roof contest in college. Person with the least cost and weight of the packaging won as long as the egg didn't break. I won by using a Styrofoam round ball about the size of a softball, like you see at craft stores, cut it in half and hollowed out a hole in the center so the egg would sit inside with no movement and a piece of making tape to hold the two sides together.

17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The lack of a easily seen address on the outside of a house or building seems to be a universal problem.

18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oooh! fed-ex. two incidents this year where they lost our shipments and used the standard line, "too much time has expired for us to do anything about it!"