Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hacked Off and Boxed In

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by soddruntlestuntle, Jun 25, 2019.

1. So I have a '62 Ford F100 Unibody which I thoroughly enjoy driving, but quite frankly I'm tired of looking at this:

IMG_4531.jpg

It's a great wheel, classic design, but nothing screams Farm Truck! like an 18-inch piece of plastic, no matter what color it's painted. I wanted something more Hot Rod, more Rock'n'Roll.

So I bought this.

IMG_4713.jpg

Have always loved the C2 Vette wheel, in all it's thin-rimmed glory, so when I found a brand new reproduction on eBay (albeit a blemished item, though I defy you to find any) for less than a Benjamin, I jumped at the chance. Even found an adapter that would allow me to use a standard Grant-style mounting kit. Things were looking good.

So yesterday morning I popped the horn button off and got quite a surprise. Rather than a nice, fat 15/16" steel retaining nut staring back at me, I found a crappy little allow machine screw and a stack of washers holding my wheel in place. I was so taken aback I forgot to take a photo. So I got out my 3/8" socket and started wrenching.

SNAP.

IMG_4691.jpg

The head of the screw broke off inside the shaft. And to add insult to injury, a previous owner for some reason decided to hack off about a half-inch worth of threads on the shaft. No wonder there was no retaining nut. And while I'm pissed-off to no end, on the bright side, at least I didn't discover this little SNAFU at 70 mph on the highway.

So HAMBers, what are my options? As fate would have it, my manual steering box is rather sloppy and in dire need of a rebuild anyway, do I bite the bullet and just buy a new or rebuilt box and shaft? Take my chance on a used unit? Force a nut back onto what's left of the threads and go on whistling past the graveyard? No one seems to offer a rebuild kit for the 'box, and the couple places that sell just the shaft want almost as much as the total for a rebuilt box AND shaft. And before offering any advice, please note that my mechanical abilities don't extend to adapting another manufacturers' part to my vehicle, so if it's not built for a Ford F100, it's not gonna happen.

Unless y'all want to come over and pull some MacGyver shit while I keep the beers handy.

Oh, and while I had a chance, figured I'd mock up what my new helm will look like someday.

IMG_4688.jpg

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, the wheel looks great, but the broken bolt sucks. Your best bet might to be drill and tap a 3/8 hole in the center of the shaft and stick a bolt in it to hold the wheel down.

Good luck, -Abone.

Unibodyguy and cactus1 like this.
  3. pitman

pitman

Depends upon the thread depth you can run the column 'nut' on to. It might be possible to tighten sufficient to hold the adapter(?) down. Perm. locktite?

4. Maybe a thin jam nut?

5. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Come on fellas, it’s the damn steering wheel. Fix it right for your safety, and the safety of others.

Muttley, Texas57, xsquiden and 7 others like this.
  6. I think you should replace the column and avoid all the worries. And by the way, thats a C1 Corvette wheel, not a C2...( damn picky corvette guys!)

7. Yeah, I don't really want to tempt Fate again, as it would appear I have been for this past year of ownership.

mrhp likes this.
  8. Trying to do this as cheaply as possible, as I still need to finish the interior (carpet, headliner, upholstery). And thank you, yes, C1. I knew that, and still typed C2.

9. Pull the steering column, remove the shaft and take it to someone who has a lathe and counterbore and tap the shaft for the largest size that is non-destructive to the base material. Use that to attach your new adapter to the column. Don't try drilling with out a line up jig. You will ruin your shaft.

alanp561 and nunattax like this.
  10. It’s splined and there is not really any force pulling it back at you unless you are trying to get the wheel off? I’d have no problem drilling/tapping or using a thin jamb nut as suggested.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The new steering wheel looks GREAT!........but nothing screams Farm Truck! like that instrument cluster panel..:D

Just yankin' your chain! But there are other options if you want to continue restyling your interior.

J. A. Miller likes this.
  12. I'm hoping that glorious new steering wheel will divert attention away from that corrugated metal slab protruding behind it.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. 47ragtop

47ragtop

The last 2 suggestions might/would work , but they Don't address the worn out steering box issues. A new shaft or box would/should fix both problems. Later Bill

14. Squablow

Squablow

No way would I trust that steering column tube now that it's been damaged like that, those tubes are shockingly thin and frail to begin with, and think of the turning strain you put on it every time you use it. Somebody already broke a chunk off of the end (I doubt they just cut it off, I bet a chunk sheared off as they were trying to force a bolt down the inside), you don't want it to shear off below those splines.

Personally I would shop around for a complete box with shaft from a lower mileage truck, something without so much slop and without the damaged splines and threads. Clean out the old dried up grease and refill it with cornhead grease. Solve both issues at once.

15. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bite the bullet and do it right, you will be happier in the long run. Get your box rebuilt or replaced, new shaft and install your new steering wheel. It's a great old truck design, always loved those unibodies, and your truck looks to be in great shape.

raven and soddruntlestuntle like this.
  16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Spend the money and be safe, replace the steering box and shaft with a rebuilt!
    Save money else where, your life of someone else's could be at risk.
    I know I am being very harsh, but reality is sometimes harsh, don't jury rig a fix.
    KK

raven and soddruntlestuntle like this.
  17. Let me ask you all, has anyone out there rebuilt one of these boxes before? I’m currently watching one on eBay right now which I could pick up for a THIRD of a rebuilt unit.

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Get a copy of the factory shop manual. They are not very expensive and worth every penny. Rebuilding the steering box is not that complicated. You can learn how. None of us were born knowing what we know now...all of it was learned along the way.

Ray

Dutch54, Dedsoto, Blues4U and 5 others like this.
  19. I've rebuilt half a dozen steering boxes, It's not too difficult but not a job for a novice. Some special tools are required in most cases.
    Buying a used box and paying someone to rebuild it will not be cheap either. Are new steering boxes available? If so just bite the bullet and buy one and swap it in.

rusty rocket likes this.
  20. I’ve found remanufactured boxes with shafts online for a shade under $400.

21. The last F-1 box I did I had around $300 in parts and machine work. So $400 isn't bad "IF" it comes from a reputable rebuilder. I wouldn't buy one from any joe blow off of ebay though....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's the route I'd go if it is a dependable rebuilder. Spend a little more now, maybe save your life in the future!

48fordnut likes this.
  23. Boy, it’s slim pickens out there as far as remanufactured units go. But I’m realizing I may NEED to go with a rebuildable, used unit as opposed to remanufactured. LMC Truck Parts offers a remanufactured unit, but has a $250 core charge, with the caveat that the core unit be ‘rebuildable’. I would say that my steering shaft, having been roughly hacked off at the end, would be considered UN-rebuildable.

Hnstray likes this.
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since it is damaged anyhow, why not splice in the top portion from a GM column and avoid using adapters for the steering wheel?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nailhead Jason and flatford39 like this.
  25. Are we actually debating the fact that I/you don't need this car rolling down the highway in the opposite direction at a high rate of speed (or even the speed limit) and have the wheel come off in the driver's hands.....WTF????
    Sure glad the insurance guys aren't listening

alanp561 likes this.
  26. Probably because I wouldn’t even know how to go about doing that. And the adapter only cost me $15.

27. Terrible80

Terrible80

How bad is the slop? Is it in the box or ball joints/ tie rod ends? If your gearbox is able to be adjusted , I'd have no problem drilling and tapping for a new "retainer" the splines are still there.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Buy used and rebuild. They're not very hard if you're half mechanically inclined. Hell, if you think yours could be rebuilt, you might just want to buy the shaft anyway. Other options I would consider include building that up with weld and cutting new threads - but I don't like drilling and tapping. My .02

29. BJR

BJR

If you are not going to replace it with a rebuild or good used one, please let us know what area of the country you will be driving in so we can avoid it. Don't want to be the one you have a head on with.

mrhp and Boryca like this.
  30. im with the rebuild/replace crowd. You said there's slop anyway, might end up being easier to pull a few pieces of hardware, than it is to drill, tap, file, etc.

Spoggie likes this.