Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's with the Corvette guys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I guess I'm guilty, I already posted Vette above.

And I've been known to call San Francisco "Frisco" too, which doesn't go over well with the bay area folks. :D

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not a problem in Texas!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. When I get tired of typing Corvette I shorten it to 'Vette. Hope I haven't offended any Corvette owners by doing that.:rolleyes:

Deuces, bowie and chevy57dude like this.
  4. "Are you a "Vette" guy or are you "Corvette people"?"
    Bofem.

5. I am a die-hard Corvette guy......real Corvettes have chrome bumpers and trunks!!.....have had 3 of them. Left the Corvette tribe when Bloomington ruined things.......way too many "numbers matching" attitudes.

I got "reamed out" one day by one of them when he spotted the Rochester FI on my '40 Ford coupe......"you are depriving a real Corvette from being restored correctly!!!" HA......I said.....but it looks great doesn't it??

6. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Corvettes: Parts donors.

charleyw, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. If that is your truck in your avatar, it looks pure hot rod to me!

Blues4U and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. That's Che"vette".

9. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

This is weird. Never heard of that before and I've had over 15 of them. On the other hand, I've never been in a Corvette club or hung out with "Corvette guys" so maybe they get touchy about it? I do have friends that own them but they are also hot rod guys.

10. Boodlum

Boodlum

I tend to recognize only "track" cars and drivers/mechanics I know.

11. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Well, that's a shame that you'd let some random Vette owners prevent you from getting a car you dreamed of owning.
    I got the bug as a kid watching the TV program, "Route 66". Watching Buzz and Todd cruise around the country in a Corvette had a big impact on me. They got a new one every year for the (I think) 3 years it was one. There was no way anyone was going to keep me from getting one no matter how big an a-hole they might be.

tractorguy likes this.
  12. badvolvo

badvolvo

I just like old cars. I am the same guy when I drive my 36 Chevy, 40 Chevy, 49 Willys, 59 Vette, or my daily, all the same guy. Personally never felt the need to apply that or any other label.
    When it is something iconic, Chevrolet = Chevy, Corvette = Vette, Harley Davidson = Harley.

13. Boodlum

Boodlum

From a Corvette-powered "dune buggy" built in 1964. Really shouldn't have cut that 1957 Chevrolet convertible frame down to shorten it but it worked.
    fullsizeoutput_73f.jpeg

chevy57dude and scotty t like this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My first and second Corvettes were 1954s. Both white 'roadsters', and both had Nail-Valve Buicks in them! First one had a '54 Buick, '37 Roadmaster trans. "Set up for drags", the seller said. Hah. Got it running over a weekend, had a Rochester WCFB, rebuilt it and the 'Vette ran like a torque monster.
    Sold it in a month.
    Another one popped up, like "What??? There's TWO?" '56 Buick engine, '50 Merc tranny, Corvette linkage. LOOSE LINKS SINK things!
    I drilled out holes and made bushings fit, tightened up that slop like Hurst stuff.
    Did some crack repairs on the body, had a friend that worked at Miracle Paint come over and spray it white, looked amazing...
    Got $3K for that one...LOL That was in '61.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought Vettes were those who have served our country...

j3harleys likes this.
  16. While some are bashing Corvette owners remember some of our hamb brothers own them also, there are some good guys that own Vettes, I happen to know a few and they are quick to give a thumbs up when they see a cool car, there are some jerks too, but they can be found in hot rod circles also.

Don't be too quick to judge. HRP

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Oh yeah, same here! Been in love with them ever since!

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

Coffee on the keyboard on this one this morning. Post of the day right there! :eek::D

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My first intro to Corvettes (besides looking them over at the dealership in '53, '54, '55,'56 was by my mentor, Richie...Superb metalman, drove a '29 Highboy, member of Hernando's Racing Team...(I was a 15 year old 'mascot', earning my stripes)
    Richie took me by his house to help him with his 'other car' (I thought he meant his fast '53 Stude) but in his garage was a NEW black '57 Corvette, jack stands, keeping the tires off the floor...
    We let it down, (CAREFULLY!) and Richie connected the battery and started her up...
    Wow! (Corvette engine! This was IN '57, so..like I said, Corvette engine!)
    He took me for a quick 2 mile ride, then over to the Igniters' barn. Those guys hadn't seen it, either...Richie worked all the time, so his new Corvette hadn't been out much.
    I can tell you this: Brand new '57 'Vette, Man oh Man! The guys were impressed, here we had the REAL hot rod guys, made up most of the drag cars at San Jose Drag Strip, in the day... No 'Vette hatred' yet, that might come later.

LBCD, tractorguy, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I say” ”Vette” to the local Corvette aficionados, I usually get dirty looks...Art Sez : F em. 2A8DA69F-02F9-4345-A3A7-946E69D4BA1D.jpeg

LBCD, enloe, wraymen and 3 others like this.
  21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny but I get the same dirty looks from the street rod crowd when I show up in this one... lighten up dudes... it’s all about hav’n FUN 1C6A3862-AE38-4814-B55B-BDF261E60AE5.jpeg

Hotdoggin DaddyO, LBCD, enloe and 2 others like this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Oh I’d own a 53, 54 or a 60 thru 65 in a heartbeat if I could afford one. Can’t forget the split window.
    But I think I’d rather spend it on on old 33-34 Ford.

23. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

A little late to the thread but Funny thing you brought this up. I was brought home from the hospital in a 69 4spd corvette, dad put over 500k miles on his, raced it, rolled it and drove it to work. I had my first trip down the drag strip at the tender age of 16 in an injected 57, my father in law owned an early 70’s stingray an owned a red 69 427 with mags an a Richmond 5spd when I was in the navy. With that being said Corvette people were some of those most “difficult” car people to deal with. The other day this picture was on the HAMB and I asked my dad how did we go from this to corvette underwear? His respond “in the 80’s when they started being worth more than a house!”[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I told my kids the vette wave is the pinky bent in half....matches their male parts...most old car guys here acknowle each other..not vette guy

25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Then again I’ve met my fair share of dare I say “older” stuck up Grampy ass wipes in 32 Fords and muscle cars but I think the corvette guys just seem to stick out more. As a Chevy guy I’m even considering buying a little bird over an early corvette to avoid all the stigmatism that goes with the vette..... I mean corvette. Dad would always correct me when I referred to his car as a “vette” because he said it sounded like those “other” corvette guys. Ha

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Two years too new. I’m not a Vette guy but if I was I’d want a 67 427.

robracer1 and Deuces like this.
  27. els

els

NICE!!

31hotrodguy and olscrounger like this.
  28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife and I restored a 340 HP 4:11 4 spd 62 Corvette some years back. It was a correct and a stocker when done. We showed it some and drove it a lot. When we took it to Corvette shows the other Corvette owners treated us strange -very snooty-guess because we had no Vette shirts or hats. They would go crazy when it won too. One night coming back from a local show my wife pulled up next to me in her 55 and said"I'm faster than you" The race was on-ran em 3 times and she got me every time. Got real tired of that and sent it down the road.

29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Well I can kinda see why, that thing is pretty hideous!!! Perhaps you should just park it at my place! Ha ha ha. nice example of hotrod coupe for sure!

LBCD and bowie like this.
  30. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.