Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Charging issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PCK, Jun 24, 2019.

1. PCK

PCK

I built a 30 Model A Coupe with a 49 Merc Flathead. It's 12 volt Neg ground. I cant find a regulator that works. I was told a standard vr22 would work but two regulators later it won't charge. Who knows what regulator will work. Thanks in advance.

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The modern manufacture voltage regulators are said to be not too good. NOS or NORS are plentiful and not too much money.

Have you checked the generator output, though?

3. Do you know what condition your generator is in? Doing an adequate rebuild on those is more complicated than rebuilding an alternator; you can't just slap brushes in like you can on an alternator. Has the commutator been serviced? Has the armature been checked for shorts or 'opens'? You did polarize it before starting? Will it charge if you bypass the regulator?

If the generator isn't working, all the regulators in the world won't make it charge.

dan griffin likes this.
  4. What kind of generator are you running? You need to know whether you have an A circuit or B circuit

dan griffin and sunbeam like this.

5. PCK

PCK

Generator was rebuilt and double checked today. the shop that rebuilt it checked it today and its working. I polarized the reg but no charging

6. PCK

PCK

How do you bypass the reg?

7. dan griffin

dan griffin

disconnect the small wire from the generator and touch a grounded jumper ,if it charges its the voltage reg. If it does not charge connect the jumper to a positive connection if it charges the reg. is bad. make sure the reg.is grounded.

8. You're supposed to polarize the generator, not the regulator; this is done by briefly touching the field connection to a positive connection with the car not running with the regulator connection lifted. Use the same method to bypass the regulator, but do it while the car is running. I'll note that generators don't have much output at idle (which is why they were replaced with alternators), make sure you've got some RPM (about 1500-2000) while checking. You should get at least 15-16 volts with the bypass. Note that getting increased voltage output doesn't guarantee proper current output, check current output also.

Having the regulator grounded to the generator body is critical.

wicarnut likes this.
  9. PCK

PCK

let's try this again. it's changed to 12 volt neg ground

10. PCK

PCK

I'm not sure what you mean

11. Can this rebuild shop provide you with the proper voltage regulator, or is that where you got the ones that aren't working as expected? If they can properly bench test your generator I would imagine they could also test it with one of their or one of your regulators connected to it.

Unless you're dead set to have a old style mechanical regulator I believe I've seen newer electronic regulators that are built to look like the old style pieces.

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

OK. The shop polarized the generator as part of their checks. If it checked out OK it's polarized. The generator needs to have a certain amount of residual magnetisem in order to start charging. Thing to keep in mind there are different procedures to do this when the generator is actually installed, if the wrong technique is used it can damage the regulator. There are "A" circuits and "B" circuits. Ford used type "B". Regulators don't get polarized, the confusion arises because it's usually performed at the regulator.

With all that said as mentioned generators don't charge much at idle. Generators, alternators, and batteries must be tested under load, while energized. The way to do that is to turn all the headlights, heater fan, and accessories on, and also run the engine RPM up to around 2000 to 2500 and hold, measure directly at the battery posts. Somewhere north of 14 volts would be what you want to see.

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

As chopped 51 said there are 2 types of generators external ground (most GM) internal ground (most Ford). To test external ground, ground the field terminal internal apply power to the field terminal.

14. PCK

PCK

The builder is finding the proper reg for me. Thank you all for your help

15. dan griffin

dan griffin

Ford charging system.

Attached Files: