Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's with the Corvette guys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I think a car with open headers, no hood and 6 Strombergs might literally be the opposite of a Prius. So I am not surprised when they don't wave.
    IMG_2689.jpg

woodsnwater, hrm2k, wraymen and 3 others like this.
  2. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

I drive a Corvette and I don’t run with Corvette Guy. I hang out with Hot Rod and Street Rod guys. Way less pressure when I don’t have to worry about being “All Numbers Matching”

Attached Files:

joeyesmen, bowie, j hansen and 5 others like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez....think about what you guys would do to "Porch" owners/drivers.....

4. I often sit on the porch and have been known to wave at passing cars.;)

5. Too nice. I had to enlarge it.
    9F4A5041-9344-4A4E-BB7D-9DA7AEE1C0AF.jpeg

Allmotor, enloe, badvolvo and 8 others like this.
  6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I don't drive my cars to collect "waves" from people. I drive 'em because I enjoy it. Seems bizarre to keep track of what kind of car waves and what kind doesn't.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D:D We are all a finicky bunch, aren't we ?

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and Sting Ray like this.
  8. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Okay, I need some clarification as to who I'm supposed to hate. From what I've read here I should hate Corvette owners because they are all d-bags with small dicks (I'm not sure why I should be concerned about other men's dicks though). And Prius owners too just because. But what about Teslas? They're like a Prius. And then there are the BMW and Porsche guys and we all know what they are like.
    I know it's cool if a Harley guy waves to you but what if the Harley guy has loud pipes and likes to rev his engine constantly for no good reason. Do I not wave back to them?
    What about the guy with a bitchin' Deuce roadster but it has a glass body?
    I waved at a guy the other day with a steel car but as he drove by I noticed he had a Vette rear end under the car so I turned around, chased him down and took my wave back!
    Anyway, I have no idea who I'm supposed to wave to and who I'm supposed to hate. Fuck it, I'll just hate everyone!

9. I'm a car guy & have been all my adult life although I haven't had a special interest car during the raising of my family.
    Now that I have a "toy" I kind of feel that I'm kind of in "no mans land".
    My o/t is not a muscle car & definitely not a custom or hot rod.
    I built a late 60's grocery getter(inexpensive to buy) into my rendition of a late 60's Trans Am car.
    The motorcycle guys get it, as they almost always take a second look or give the nod.
    Corvette, Custom & Hot Rod guys all seem to look the other way.
    I did want something different when I got this car, so, I guess I achieved my goal.
    Soon I will have my Shoebox on the road & maybe I'll fit in somewhere.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. .....................I'll be sure to wave to you.:D;)

bowie likes this.
  11. chopped

chopped

I traded my restored Vette for a beat up 36 Chevy needing just about everything. Never regretted it for a moment. Even the wife said we got a million bucks worth of fun from the Chevy.

12. Thanks man, I appreciate that.
    Not sure when I'll be rolling through Maryland next though?

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hey, I drive a BMW. What am I like? Old cars interest me way more however. And nobody commented on my post about driving a vette and it was a Chev? (Chevette!)

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Just for the record, I love Corvettes, well up through the C6 anyways, even those mundane mid 70's cars. Even the C4, which seems to be the least appreciated. I've always wanted one and probably will have one some day. As a car guy I just dig 'em. But I do realize the personality traits of some Vette owners aren't appreciated by all. If I do ever get one I'll try not to act like that.

j3harleys, bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a '67 coupe, because the first new car I ever bought was a '67 coupe and about 35 years ago I decided I wanted that experience back. I wave at everybody but C4 and newer Corvettes.

robracer1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha, I can relate to that. Both of my cars tend to fall into a no man's land, both being too "street rod" for the traditionalists, and too traditional for the street rodders. Hot rodders can be as snobby as any. It comes with the territory of not following the pack, doing your own thing. I try not to let it bother me and just enjoy the hell out of them whenever I can.

17. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I have own 3 Corvettes over the past 35 years and have found that Corvettes drivers do wave to each other, but not to many others. Where I am not living, Northern Neck, VA (Lively) everyone wave no matter what they drive. But I have to tell you guys. While I was living in NH, I would drive the Corvette back and forth to work. One day my boss and I took the Corvette out for lunch. While sitting at a traffic light this dark green XKE Jag (this is a very unusual car to be in NH in the first place) pulls up in the "left turn" lane with this real good looking women (in her early 30) driving. She looks over and gives me a big smile. My boss, on the other hand, catches the smile (steals the smile from me) and says to her, "we need to switch, so that you can feel what a real American Iron is made of". She looks at the light, for a few moments and replies back, "I would but my skirt is too short", then pulls a hard left turn and is gone forever.

lothiandon1940 and Blues4U like this.
  18. Yea, I agree Duncan. If I were worried about who waved and who didn’t, I would have to reconsider my motivation in this whole deal. In reality, there are stereotypical personality types in about any of the car groups or just people groups in general. I just like driving old stuff, or sometimes newer stuff, or whatever and am becoming more about the people and relationships than what anyone thinks of me because of what I drive or how I put my arm on the window, etc. :eek:

Although...you have to admit some groups are just easier to make fun of than others even when we know it is wrong... ;)

And, thanks for the reminder of how silly that is... :oops:

arkiehotrods, bowie and Blues4U like this.
  19. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Got so excited remembering this event, that my spelling and grammar with right out the window.

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your arm was hanging out, blocking the window maybe your grammar wouldn't have got out. :cool:

COCONUTS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I can remember as a teenager 50 yr ago longing to own a Vette.
    Until later in life my experience with a high percentage of the owners changed my mind.
    I could never understand when going to a large car show, I’d alway see them in one big group always away from the rest. As though they were special.
    Many many years ago I went to the Detroit Autorama wearing my H.A.M.B. T-shirt. I was really surprised not one Hamber came up to me to introduce himself.

22. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

My favorite Corvette was one of those mid-year who cares ones, around a '77, and an nice old guy from Novato used to drag race it at Sears Point back before they made you run mufflers on Wednesday night. Bright red, ran consistent 10.50's, and just LOUD AS HELL. So one night there's a couple youngsters there running a 66 SS396 Chebbelle, just squeaking into the high 13's. They walk over to the old guy in the lanes and asked him why his car was so much faster, and LOUDER than theirs, so he opened the hood and showed them the 427-8V High Riser. They never said a word, just wandered off with hanging heads. Priceless

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and Blues4U like this.
  23. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Kind of sounds like those car shows and drive-ins that restrict entry to cars dating 1965 and earlier.
    "You're not like us, stay the hell away."

24. Favorite vettes are from 53-67 & the current generation.
    I'll probably like the new mid engine ones too.

25. Dennis D

Dennis D

Leaving the gas station today and a guy filling up his 62 Vette waved and gave me the thumbs up. Guess he knew I have a 'glass body on my car also:D D

Atwater Mike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Nobody has brought up the fat/ugly chicks that drive 'Vettes....

27. badvolvo

badvolvo

Maybe the Corvette guys didn't think they needed your approval. Probably didn't even realize it means so much to you to be acknowledged by a guy in a Vette.

Sting Ray likes this.
  28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Vette stigma...

Its a "sports car" and I use those quotations very lightly... Most folks who are jacket, shirt and hat corvette people are not showing off their pride for the cool piece of engineering yet just showing off their credit score... They have an attitude much like many other groups of enthusiasts. They get stuck in that single minded rut that "if its not ___ kind of car/truck then its crap" just like Harley guys not waving to jap bike guys hardly ever. Hell even here on the hamb there are guys that if its not 32 ford they don't care, if its not a cookie cutter car deemed popular then it don't matter. Then there are some of us, who think if something is cool, its cool... and let it be. Even if something is not your style...Just laugh and remember, different strokes for different folks... Its everywhere, as people grow older or change their taste, then they types of vehicles change also... I have seen guys go from doing the tuner stuff to building some beautiful customs and loving the hotrod custom lifestyle and have been there 20 years now. Be the best you can cause the guy you may be laughing at may buy your vehicle when your gone.

OH yeah...If anyone ever gives you hell about fuel mileage or what not, just tell them that the whole vehicle is recycled everything, and the carbon footprint of your vehicle is about 1/64 of their prius.

29. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I wave at them with my middle finger

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I have never owned a Corvette but something that hasn't been mentioned was the use of the term "Vette" as apposed to saying Corvette.
    A friend of mine has both a 65 roadster and a 70 (ish) coupe among other cars, he's a real knowledgeable Chevy guy but not the snooty type, many years back when the whole "matching number" thing was at a fever pitch we were talking about Chevys in general because we both have been Chevy guys since our high school days together.
    Somewhere in the discussion I asked him a Corvette specific question but I used the term "Vette", did I ever get a hesitant look out of him, he said be careful using "Vette" in certain circles, meaning "Corvette people".
    Obviously in this circle (HAMB), it seems a lot of Corvette owners use the term Vette.
    So guys, what do you consider yourselves?
    Are you a "Vette" guy or are you "Corvette people"?

bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.