Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects garagefind/ survivor 40 coupe build. FIRED IT UP!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by joel, Sep 26, 2014.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just used the adhesive that came on it and a wood wheel to roll it out.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My last problem,I hope, is the new vent window lock levers. They don't hold the window in tight. I'm considering machining the end to shorten them.:confused:

3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, how time flies. I reinstalled an original set of vent window lock levers; the right side came out great and the left side better. I spent 2 weeks on the left vent window. Unbelievable! This winter, I'll probably machine the repro levers to fit properly.
    I'm still waiting to get into the upholsterer, so, I mounted the front fenders to finish as much body work as possible. IMG_1211.JPG IMG_1212.JPG IMG_1214.JPG
    Getting ready to drop the hood on and check alignment. The next time it goes on, it will be painted. ..Probably. Hopefully.....Maybe?

4. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car went to upholstery a week ago Wednesday, so I am prepping the remaining pieces for paint. I think I'll paint the inner fender panels with black lacquer, since I have some here.
    IMG_1220.JPG IMG_1221.JPG IMG_1222.JPG
    I need to bolt them on for the final sanding. I'll be starting the hood next.

5. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I started the hood and the (dreaded) louver sanding. It took about 4 hours with a small file and a "pencil" die grinder to radius the sharp edges on the openings of the louvers. The DPLF needs to be sanded and a fresh coat applied before applying K36.
    IMG_1224.JPG

6. That's alot of work, but it sure looks good!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Looking great. Can't wait to see it finished now.

OLSKOOL57 and loudbang like this.
  8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the comment. I hope it still looks OK when it's shiney.
    Me Too! The next pic shows how far I got sanding since 11:30 this morning.
    IMG_1226.JPG
    16 down, 42 to go and I'll have to do this twice more.
    As soon as the headliner is in the car, I'm taking it back to block the front fenders. I'm painting them and the remaining small pieces and reassembling the car. I want some road time before going to Louisville on 8/1. The hood might still be in prime. I did all but the louver areas last night.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Joel, Just finished ready your thread from the beginning. Very nice work and very informative. Thanks for your time doing the leg work and the sharing of information.

I can see the benefit of doing a build thread. If you miss a week of posting progress you get prodded by the followers. And that's a good thing!

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're correct about the build thread benefit. I didn't really appreciate that until I was well into the build thread. Times when I was bogged down with one thing or another, it was reassuring to look back at how much was done. Comments and encouragement from members were welcomed and very much appreciated.

11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hi Joel, nice work as usual. I have been pondering the louvered hood idea for one of my 39's. I will be watching for your progress and your thoughts on how you like living with them on the finished car.

12. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi, Sam. I've been wondering also. I have an un-punched hood for backup. My suggestion at this point is to get someone else to prep and paint it.;)
    BTW , I now have a T170 rts trans for the old truck ( full synchro 3 speed O/D trans) . It will give me something to do this winter.

13. ................What's not to like, guys......except maybe the prep work!:eek: 2013-10-22 13.06.45.jpg

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

Hey Joel I probably missed it but who did the hood louvers?

loudbang likes this.
  15. I sanded and painted this hood in fact the whole pick up in 1995 (24 yrs ago). No regrets. I like them so much I louvered my coupe hood too. I've driven the pickup through all kinds of weather with no problems 20,000 plus miles odometer quit, not caused by the louvers.. The coupe about 8000 miles with out any problems.I'm going to paint it this year
    20190531_132105.jpg
    P_20160527_104421.jpg

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

That's a good suggestion Joel but my wallet says that they would have to be done in my shop........

Well guys the main concern I have is getting water on the engine. I seldom wash my cars anymore. I just wipe them down with a detailer spray so that is not a problem, but I always seem to get caught out on the road in a thunderstorm every summer. What is your experience with getting rain on the engine during a deluge? I like to keep my engine bay clean and I don't like to clean it very often. (Not so much lazy as busy).

17. It's all good as long as you are moving.:D......I've gotten caught a few times, once or twice in torrential downpours. Fortunately I didn't get stuck at a stop light.

18. [QUOTE="Well guys the main concern I have is getting water on the engine. I seldom wash my cars anymore. I just wipe them down with a detailer spray so that is not a problem, but I always seem to get caught out on the road in a thunderstorm every summer. What is your experience with getting rain on the engine during a deluge? I like to keep my engine bay clean and I don't like to clean it very often. (Not so much lazy as busy).[/QUOTE]

I have never had a problem with rain. As far as the underneath side it has to be wiped down. I'm slowly replacing the aluminum off topic stuff with painted or chrome parts. The coupe is getting a flathead installed no polished aluminum on it to water spot.

Sorry Joel to hijack your thread.

47ragtop, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  19. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the louvers cost either $.50 or $ .75 each. IIRC some of the club members pitched in because I didn't have enough $$$. Good times.

loudbang and southpaw-customs like this.
  21. I charge a $1.00 per louver. I can give you a hamb discount and charge .50 cents on the next one!

22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I painted one side of the front inner fender panels yesterday and today got the other side ready. I was going to paint tonight, but we went over to visit our new grandson (first one). The headliner should be done tomorrow. I am going to bring it home to install and block the front fenders; then I'll take it back to get the upholstery finished while I'm getting the rest of the paint done. :rolleyes:
    IMG_1234.JPG IMG_1235.JPG
    Might still be going to Louisville with the hood in primer, or not buffed.... maybe no hood at all.

23. [QUOTE="joel, post: Might still be going to Louisville with the hood in primer, or not buffed.... maybe no hood at all. =QUOTE]
    Joel, if you make it to Louisville, stop by the Burr King Booth in the Exposition Center. I would like to go out and see your '40.

Keith

24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will do Keith. Thanks.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got the car back last night with the headliner mostly in. I need it to finish prep on the front fenders. I'm trying to get the remaining paint done and the car assembled enough to drive legally by early next week.
    IMG_1237.JPG IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1240.JPG
    We had to remove the rear glass to do the headliner.

47ragtop, loudbang, 40LUV and 3 others like this.
  26. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up the seat yesterday.
    IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1247.JPG
    I'm excited. The plan is to get the car back to upholstery a week from Monday to finish.

27. loudbang

loudbang

Good color choice. :)

28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It's coming together well Joel! I hope you make it to Louisville riding in that fancy new seat.

loudbang likes this.
  29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So do I, Sam...So do I.

loudbang likes this.
  30. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More work yesterday. IMG_1249.JPG IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1252.JPG

loudbang likes this.