Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake upgrade recommendation

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pothole, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Pothole

Pothole

Folks, I have a 31 Model A with original front spindles and a later model rear(not sure of year but after 32). 39/40 juice brakes were on it when I purchased it and the adjustment of which is driving me nuts. Things like use a pedal jack and apply 35 lbs before adjustment etc., etc. With those 4 adjusters per wheel getting a good pedal and adjustment is taxing so does anyone know what is the latest model year I can look for to replace what I have and improve my life. Thanks

2. Here read...…..

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/brakes-f100-brakes-on-37-to-48-ford-spindles.5877/

sport fury and dana barlow like this.
  3. Lincolns if you want to run wires still, F100 in the front with steelies, the rear in a banjo will be more difficult.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. a swap to F1 / F100 in the front will be your best bang for the buck with out a doubt. you will be blown away with the change in stopping power. Use the rears you have and swap to F1 F100 on the front and you will be more than glad you did.

5. Pothole

Pothole

Thank for the link and suggestions. Now I am thinking of upgrading the front and address the rear later. I truly appreciate the response.
    Pothole Bob

6. Pothole

Pothole

I have located a set of F1 backing plates and hubs, can anyone tell me what else I would need to use them on 31 A spindles(other than the drums)? thanks

7. I typically go to rock auto and get shoes hardware and adjuster from them. You can get a bearing adapter kit from speedway for about 30 bucks which has worked well for me. I have the bearing numbers written down at home to order off the shelf bearings from the parts store. The Bearing kit from speedway says F100, but works the same with F1 brakes.

AS for the drums, you can get repop F1 drums for about 125 bucks each, or there are some other late model drums that work on them that are way cheaper. ill have to look in my notes, but I believe that the drums from a 66 bronco with 11 rear drums will work on the f1 brakes. those are about 25 bucks each. If you don't mind notching the grease baffle or removing it all together, you can use the shoes and hardware for a 1965 F100 and make them completely self adjusting. its nice and goes right together.

If you are using the Model A spindles you will need the spacer rings (available from Speedway) for the backing plates t fit the A spindles, and open up the mounting holes on the backing plate to fit the model a pattern. If it already has 39 to 48 brakes on it, it probably already has the rings on it, other wise you will need to swap to 37 up spindles to bolt the backing plates to. on the 37 to 41 spindles you will have to do a little bit of grinding on top of the spindles to clear the wheel cyl when bolting the backing plate on. 42 to 48 spindles, I don't believe require the grinding.

The chamfer on the original wheel bearings is a little larger than the later bearings that are used to adapt the hubs to the spindles. I wrap the bearing in duct tape and slowly take a rotary file in my die grinder and round the in edge of the bearing that bottoms out on the spindle pin so that it is a match. I have never seen one do it, but supposedly if you don't do that, you run the chance of the bearing seizing on the spindle because it can seat properly all the way on the spindle pin.

With the F1 brakes and plumbing the 1/4 inch lines, you can use a 39 to 48 drivers side brake hose banjo fitting with the front brake hose from a 52 ford car. This will let you pass the hard line around to the pass side wheel and tap off the hard line with a brake hose with no other fittings or adapters. It makes a very clean install. the 52 Ford brake hose will accept the copper washers for the banjo fitting and screw into the F1 or F100 wheel cylinders with no adapters as well.

Below is a pic of my brakes line set up on my 39 with F100 drums on the front, using the stock brake hose banjo. You can get the banjo line fitting from Macs or the Early Ford Store for about 15 bucks. The stock 39 to 48 brake hoses do not fit into the F1 / F100 wheel cylinders.
    20190407_171557.jpg

8. Post number 214 on my build thread goes into the part numbers for the hoses and brake bits.

9. Pothole

Pothole

Nailhead I can't thank you enough for all the info and sources. I am going to try and put it in list format and begin collection what I need.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  10. I am also looking to convert my Juice brakes to F100's. Since they need all new parts and I cant see $165 each front drum to replace.

waiting for a CrackHeads list add for some one changing to disc and wanting get rid of there old :)

The bearing list Nailhead Jason posted I have at work

11. I just did the F100 swap on my '41 p/u. There are 2 different seals depending on the size of the seal hub.

There are 2 wheel seals for this conversion and everything I read only talked about 1. You need to measure the seal hub on the spindle, 1 1/2" is the National 450461 (in all the articles), if it's 1 9/16" then you need a National 473441. If you have the wrong seal it won't go on the last 1/4" or so, you can force it but it drags bad.

12. Pothole

Pothole

Nailhead,
    I tried to locate that bearing adapter kit on Speedway's site but was unsuccessful so if you do run across the item number please forward it. Thanks, Pothole

13. Pothole

Pothole

Thanks Nailhead, my F1 hubs and backing plates arrived today so I'll start gathering all the other elements.
    Pothole

14. Remember if you want to run the early wire wheels you will have problems with the F1 brakes.

Charlie Stephens

15. Pothole

Pothole

What problems? My wire wheels are from 34, other than maybe needing spacers what issues will I have? Tks, Pothole