Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1950 Drag Race at MCAF - Santa Ana (Tustin) ... PICS!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Koz

Koz

This pic really shows the roots of my street roadster build. I've had this car in my mind for years and it is so excellent to see a pic of one so similar. Thanks for the pics! 65319162_10215247502604542_8334169852163915776_n.jpg

Stogy and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. Another photo of Earl Evans' #76 Belly Tank at the event:

Earl Evan's tank at the Tustin blimp base drags.jpg
    photographer unknown

Stogy, Jalopy Joker and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. AlfaGuy

AlfaGuy

HEMI32: Thanks for posting Bob Canaan's terrific period images. Is the first photo (rear view of cars on starting line) also one of Mr. Canaan's images? I have found all the rest on the Revs Institute website, but cannot seem to find the first shot there.

4. It's most likely a Canaan image ... but I can't confirm that because it's actually a copy of an uncredited photograph that was used in the September 1950 HOT ROD magazine article entitled “Action on the Airstrip.”

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. The #48 roadster is Jim Nelson, Dragmaster Jim Nelson

HEMI32 likes this.
  7. Dean -

As usual, you are correct ... I found this pic of Jim with the roadster in my archives:

Jim Nelson #48 Roadster.jpg

lurker mick and Dean Lowe like this.
  8. AlfaGuy

AlfaGuy

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to use that image on a placard I'm producing for a display at the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America Museum. Can you tell me where you sourced the image for use in this thread? Is it available online? I haven't been able to find another photo that does such a nice job of depicting a pre-NHRA drag racing event. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

9. Yet another photo of Earl Evans' #76 Belly Tank at the event:

Earl Evans' #76 Belly Tank at 1950 Tustin Drag Race (AHRF).jpg
    ©AHRF image from the Barney Navarro Collection

Stogy likes this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Great pics of the drags. you can't appreciate the size of one of those blimp hangers until you are in one.

Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a SCTA flying wheel logo under line up OFFICIA shirt/jacket..

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-16_8-43-38.png
    The blue outline in the area map photo below.

Hey @HEMI32,

Yesterday we were driving around to various spots in the OC to put some miles on the new tires of my wife’s station wagon. We ended up in Irvine near her sister’s house and then it was a short hop over to the Tustin Air Base and those TWO large historic hangars.
    upload_2021-4-16_8-45-27.png
    In most of the stories about the historic hangars, there is mention of the large one near the timing tower. That is still the main one in the old airfield/dragstrip area. But, to my surprise the second one is closer to a public road and it looms very large for most drivers.

upload_2021-4-16_8-46-17.png
    1950’s drag race and sporting events with the 2nd hangar in the background.
    upload_2021-4-16_8-47-8.png
    TODAY, 2ND HANGAR LOCATION …red outline in the map photo above

The place still reeks of history and with the TWO HANGARS within reaching distance of the general public. It is located in a new area called the TUSTIN Legacy. Right now, there is a huge apartment complex directly across the street from the 2nd hangar where all of the public events take place. Car shows, emergency preparedness events and even a public showing of the GM presentation of the brand new Corvette.
    upload_2021-4-16_8-48-15.png It is pretty barren, currently, but the development will be built right up to the property that houses the two hangars.

Jnaki

The area will still be historic, it is just that those two hangars will be a part of the whole developed area and still stay the same as back when they were used regularly.
    upload_2021-4-16_8-49-2.png
    APRIL 15, 2021

14. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

In 1970, I stood guard duty from midnight till four in the morning in one of the hangars after my return from Vietnam. The hangar was empty at that time, doors at each end closed, and I was armed with a military shotgun and four rounds. You have no idea how scary and unnerving it is with the wood beams creaking, owls making strange sounds, and echoes.

15. Junji @jnaki -

Thanks for your post!

If you haven't already done so, be sure to checkout the "The Tustin Hangars: Titans of History An historical account of the MCAS Tustin Hangars" document I attached in post #20.​

- Todd @HEMI32

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Scotty's Garage!, Sky Six and jnaki like this.
  16. sololobo

sololobo

great vintage images, thanx

17. Thanks for your service !

Sky Six likes this.
  18. Thanks Jnaki for posting the latest pictures.

jnaki likes this.
  19. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sky Six likes this.
  20. Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Speed Gems likes this.
  21. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Speed Gems, Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...that's sad...:oops:

We had a heritage structure burn down recently...arson...at the end of the day it's burned but if it was arson...that stings even more...the structure our way was from the 1800s...that structure looks pre WW11...sad

23. Tustin Hangars Fire (November 6th 2023).jpg
    :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    Speed Gems, Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  24. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Thanks for your effort

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-11-8_9-51-35.png Hello,

Here is the latest photo from Tustin, CA. The Main Tustin blimp hangar's remains...

Jnaki

Gone, but not forgotten...
    upload_2023-11-8_9-51-0.png

lurker mick and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So sad...yeah it's only an old building but it's Heritage...was it vacant?

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello S,

Luckily, no one was inside the structure, just some normal storage stuff. But, it is all gone. The structure is one of the tallest structures in the area and sticks out from just about anywhere with sight lines of the old Tustin Air Base.

upload_2023-11-8_10-36-41.png
    The fire is in the North hangar that once housed blimps used in WW 2. They both stand 17 stories high, are over 1,000 feet long and 300 feet wide. They were, and still are, two of the largest wooden structures ever built.
    upload_2023-11-8_10-37-31.png
    The closest public access with a clear site/vision is the winding road to the left of the photo. The yellow
    lines to the right are where the old listed drag race event was held.
    upload_2023-11-8_10-39-16.png

Jnaki
    They are a sight to behold up close and at 17 stories high, taller than most buildings in the area. If one drives on the winding public road, it connects to the closest view site for both hangars. If one takes that road West, it changes names as you drive, goes past the area where the Donut Derelict area is located. It arrives at the back of the Bolsa Chica Inland Preserve “swampy” area near the old “Tin Can Beach.”

upload_2023-11-8_11-9-38.png Hangar Two South, still standing and very close to the public street.

lurker mick and Stogy like this.
  28. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Awesome as always Mr.H

Stogy likes this.
  29. earlymopar

earlymopar

Stogy likes this.
  30. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

That first pic you posted... I mean does it get any better?!?!?! Hell no! If only I had a time machine. Thanks for sharing.

Stogy likes this.