Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Remember the products on the shelf at your local gas station?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 20, 2019.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It takes extra quality to go farther

It's POWER that makes you GO FARTHER

The SAME POWER that gives you quicker starting, faster pick-up and higher anti-knock.

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Back in '62 gas was 24 cents a gallon and these condoms were two for a quarter in the vending machine 1firewall.JPG at the Sinclair station,life was good when you worked for a dollar an hour :D

Truck64 and Deuces like this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Milwaukee Wisconsin, started driving 1964, don't remember going inside gas stations much, attendants always had cash/change maker on belt, they pumped your gas, you paid them cash sitting in your car. If you used men's room, all had the 25 cent rubber machines( always had some quarters in my cars)and the pop machines were outside. When the convenience store gas stations started up, I remember thinking why would you buy milk, bread, sweet rolls at a gas station, now they all are small grocery stores bigger/better than the neighborhood stores when I was a kid.

JeffB2 and Deuces like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Clarks super 100 gasoline, thousands say it's best. Largest selling independent gasoline, in the middle west. Fill up today you know just what we mean, buy Clarks super 100 gasoline.:D I will never forget that jingle.

poncho catalina and Deuces like this.
  5. Oilguy

Oilguy

Deuces likes this.
  6. gas pumper

gas pumper

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I read a story, don't know how true it is, a couple years ago some teenager on a roadtrip, a rockfall had closed the highway. They were using their smartphone navigation and had no idea how to use an "old school" paper map, started crying, drama ensues.

Deuces likes this.
  8. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

I was born in 1980 . Not much cool shit at stations. I remember these lol h0kzIaf.jpg

Woogeroo and weps like this.
  9. 296ardun

296ardun

Union-76-Royal-Triton-Motor-Oil-1.jpg
    I worked at Seth Miller's Union 76 stations on El Molino and Green, and on California and Raymond, Pasadena CA, in the early '60s...poured gallons of this into engines, then we took the cans and put then on a drain-way that led to a barrel, as my cheap-as-nails boss took the can drippings and put the oil in his loaner cars.

10. Where I grew up (Northeast Arkansas) in the late fifties, early sixties, Lion Oil was the prime local station. It must have been a fairly regional operation. When we traveled any distance we usually stopped at Esso stations.
    This thread has me interested in maybe starting a collection although I can't recall seeing a lot of related branded items.
    Lion supplied local farmers with bulk gasoline, tractor fuel, oil and grease products in addition to normal service station items. Also automobile and tractor tires.
    The single cylinder car lift was outdoors and always in use. So was the tire cage, a source of great amusement when changing a big truck tire with the two piece rims. It was a standard practice to sneak up behind the operator airing up the tire and dropping any empty 5 gallon oil can. Never seemed to get old.

tommyd and 1morecarIpromise! like this.
  11. 6sally6

6sally6

We use to go to the "company station"....(cotton mill town) and buy a nickle short coke and a nickle pack of m & m's. Hop up on the drink box(drank box if you were from Ga.) and pour the m & m's in the short coke and swing our legs and bump-the-box. Would shoot the s%#t with Henry Shell (the black guy who washed cars) and lie about girls.
    Oh yeah..........the smell. A mixture of mildew...rotting wood....gasoline(when it smelled GOOD!)...stale cigarette smoke..and coke syrup. Yeah.....that's how it smelled.
    6sally6

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  12. raymay

raymay

On the shelf, under the shelf and usually all over the floor in the back room.

IMG_3904.JPG IMG_3911.JPG IMG_3915.JPG IMG_3917.JPG IMG_3918.JPG IMG_3921.JPG IMG_3922.JPG IMG_3923.JPG IMG_3925.JPG IMG_3926.JPG IMG_3927.JPG IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3929.JPG IMG_3930.JPG

gas pumper and 1morecarIpromise! like this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I remember the guy at the Derby station sold Black Cat firecrackers (not officially) so that was pretty cool. Shh!! Don't tell anybody.

tommyd and Deuces like this.
  14. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

In Germany, it was "Pack den Tiger in den Tank."

15. Texaco Fire Chief Hat, and the Texaco Tanker.. my Dad moonlighted at the Texaco Station by our house growing while in Air Force.. extra bucks for the family and some neat stuff he brought home for my brother and I...foil wrapped tires.. Havoline..

tommyd likes this.
  16. oj

oj

They had real honest-to-gawd Slim Jims in a box by the cash register, the ones that were real sheep gut and tied off at the ends! You'd bite into them and they'd snap off or chew on 'em like a cigar. They were so good.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I remember vividly Texaco bulk oil. My father used in his daily driver for a time. His friend owned the station and rebuilt the 265 engine in my 1’st 55 Chevy for $250.00 parts/labor (1965) My father insisted he put that bulk oil in crankcase to initial start. My memory is some what faded now, but wasn’t bulk oil just re - refined used oil?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. raymay

raymay

My boss at the Mobil Station I worked at in 68 did have two options for oil changes. One with new oil and the other with recycled oil. He also had a spark plug sand blaster for use on economy tuneups. The day of the 68 Kentucky Derby, he had me spend most of the day taking betting slips for the race. Big mess and lots of foul language later when the winner Dancers Image got disqualified.

19. rmorris

rmorris

In 1965 , I worked at the Colonial Gas Station, gas was 25.9 per gallon, bulk oil was 20 cents per quart. The guys with Studebakers would come in for $1 for gas, 5 quarts of oil, pack of lucky strikes for 25 cents.

20. rmorris

rmorris

At the station I worked at, it was regular oil bought in a 55 gallon drum, dispensed by a hand pump.

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Right, you just didn't have to pay for packaging!

22. Chief 64

Chief 64

Anyone remember these Anttena toppers?? I thought they were so cool when I was a kid! They gave them out at union 76 gas stations to put on your anttena so you could find you car in a big parking lot.
    upload_2019-6-1_21-45-56.jpeg

Deuces, tommyd and Truck64 like this.
  23. rmorris

rmorris

I wish I had my Mickey Mouse toppers.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-6-25_5-35-45.png
    Hello,

After totally cleaning out every single drawer, cabinet and shelves in our old garage cabinets, it was time to get new cabinets. I was embarrassed to find so much stuff full of accumulated crapola over the years, I found these in a box. The 1965 Liquid Wrench and 1968, Ruglyde lube/cleaner are in their original condition. They are not opened and are completely full.

Wherever we have lived, the gas station was handier for small stuff on the shelves than to drive several miles to the actual auto parts store to get the same thing. So, the neighborhood gas station served its intended purpose of gas and necessary products from the shelves.

I know we have used the liquid wrench over the years starting back in the early 60s, but we used that Ruglyde on the tires when hand changing rims and tires. But, where and when did these cans get stored and not ever used? My wife’s philosophy is that I usually have the necessary tools and paraphernalia to get a job done. But, if I need a tool or supplies while trying to finish a job, I will go out and buy a new one of something to have it in hand.

Jnaki

I suppose, if I needed the Ruglyde for a lube during tire exchanging and ran out of an old can. So, I probably bought a new can. Then I realized that I did not need the new can and stashed it on the shelf. Finally, the can ended up in a small box and transported over time from garage to garage until it popped out of our last cabinet drawer makeover.

These cans are now in a new drawer full of old stuff from the days past. Will I ever use them? Probably not. They will go to our niece's family as has our Craftsman Tools and old stuff from the 50s and 60s. Pay it forward and their little guy may be the last of the oncoming hot rod guys. That little guy has skills of "take it apart and put it back together," like no other... He loves the small die cast hot rods, trucks and sports cars from our old 50+ collection that now gets plenty of use weekly.

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I think I still have a set of those. I found ''The first thirteen states''. and I have a set of the ''Apollo Mission'' coins also somewhere. Both from the late 60's I think.. A REAL collectors item I bet.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Don't let Moriarity see this post....:D

He's got enough in his show case cabinets to post that would make his post count catch up to Danny's 49,550 post count in a New York Minute.

Moriarity and loudbang like this.
  27. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

We would get a 10 cent coke from the cooler and a handful of 1 cent peanuts and drop them in the coke bottle. Our local station would mix me up a gallon can for the lawnboy mower cheap and patch my bicycle tubes for free. Sold single cigars out of the box. My dad would send me all the time for them.

weps and loudbang like this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

My car don't have an antenna....:confused:

loudbang and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  29. khead47

khead47

Anyone remember Liquid Glass auto polish ? Had a Kustom car and a Hot Chick on the label.

loudbang likes this.
  30. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I was just going to mention Liquid Glass! I started working in a gas station at 14 in the late fifties and stayed until after graduating from high school. The owner always had some product or gimmick on the counter for sale. Back then almost all customers walked into the station to shoot the breeze with the owner and pay while the car was filled, oil checked, windshield and rear window cleaned. So the owner or us pump jockeys would always offer up the product of the week. The best customers were always just given the item. Ball point pens, key rings, air freshener, and any number of other items. I remember the Liquid Glass being an item.

The owner got these items from a salesman that showed up a couple times a month with a car truck full of ready to sell items mounted to cardboard stands that set on the counter or small cases. The owner would buy whatever he thought he could sell. Always something different. I will say the Liquid Glass seemed to work.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    loudbang likes this.