Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical shipping a trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeucePhaeton, Jun 25, 2019.

1. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I need to get a 5-speed trans from Michigan to Baker Montana. Trans weighs 71 pounds so it just over partial limits.
    Anyone headed that direction at any point in the near future?
    Anyone have suggestions?
    Truck freight is brutally high
    FedEX is nearly $300.00
    Go!

2. Try Greyhound,,,,might surprise you

3. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

I ship T5's via UPS all the time. It's around $70-$80. I take 3 pieces of 12"x 12" plywood and bolt one to the mounting holes, one at the tip of the input and one at the tail shaft. I then run some 1" x 1" pieces between each piece of plywood at the corners. Wrap the entire thing with cardboard and staple it to the plywood and 1" x 1"s. Use Promo code "Easy" on UPS's website, saves something like 40%.

4. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Contact the folks at Fastenal. I've shipped 500 pounds from Washington State to Atlanta for $280. It was actually twp packages, one being a pallet weighing 350 pounds. They gave me an initial quote of $280 but only processed the lighter package. When I corrected them, they added the second pallet and did not increase the cost. I also had a 900 pound engine shipped from Minneapolis to Atlanta for about $325. They just want to make a full load (except out of CA cause they are already full).

Hnstray likes this.

5. x2 for fastenal

6. KenC

KenC

That fedex quote is clearly wrong. I've shipped heavier stuff longer distances with them for less money.

Did an independent store provide that? Maybe with packaging? Try the Fedex web site, they have a fairly easy to use interface.

Or, do the deal using paypal and use their shipping process. that provided discounted rates.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a big difference in weight for Fedex deliveries to businesses than home delivery. Find out if the guy buying the trans has a local business that it can be delivered to. I'd say that he does business with the same places in the town he calls home every day and one of them can receive the trans for him. I used to have a friend here in town who is since retired that offered to receive shipments for me when I had big items coming.
    What is the heaviest package FedEx will ship?
    With FedEx Ground® services, you can ship packages up to 150 lbs.; up to 108" in length and 165" in length plus girth. With FedEx Home Delivery® services, you can ship packages up to 70 lbs.; up to 108" in length and 165" in length plus girth.
    The Fastenal thing is great but they may not have a store close enough to him to work for the guy receiving the trans but it might be worth a check.

8. dan griffin

dan griffin

The bus is cheap and fast.

9. evintho

evintho

I've shipped T5's coast to coast with FedEx several times for $85. Just mounted them to a couple of 2x4's and wrapped 'em in shrinkwrap.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i used ups to ship t5 to tenn. around 85 dollars

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. And a big difference in cost too,,,

The damn package gets on the same plane, handled by the same people, again on the same truck to be delivered by the same driver,,,,
    Put it’s completely different. Makes no sense what so ever

12. Yet another guy here, to testify to the 85 dollar range your honor.

TKO600 from Dallas to New York, in original transmission box, UPS store, for $91 ... insurance included ... so help me God. Amen !

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Shipped something that was 160 lbs or so. Price quotes were over $200 to ship. Found out if I got it below 150 lbs, UPS freight was about $140...so I did that. Next heavy item was about 400 lbs. Got a friend to get his "discount" business quote. $500 from Ky to Montana and $1000 without his discount. THEN, I found "freightquote". They give you a screen that shows about 10 different companies and their quotes. Quotes were all over the place, but you just pick the one that suits you. I ended up paying $210 or so.. Whoever you chose/Whatever you do...GET INSURANCE ! I spent a lot of time trying to get a good rate, and there appears to be no real rhyme or reason to prices, but at least "freightquote" gave me multiple choices.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True but it is real quick and easy for the truck to stop at my neighbor's machine shop in town where he is leaving other packages while it is drive down my 400 foot some times muddy driveway and put the package in a box I have for UPS and Fedex to put packages in. My daughter deals with customers all the time who have to set up specific times to meet delivery drivers as delivery trucks can't get in or out of their driveways for one reason or another.
    The UPS driver that delivers to me can back his truck down that 400 ft driveway in the dark though and has done so many a time.

15. KenC

KenC

Around here(OK), most the home deliveries are by a contractor, not a fedex employee. fedex ground route will be an employee. Notice the signs on the trucks/vans, they are different.

16. I suppose it’s a regional thing then.
    By my old shop same driver went to my house in residential development and my shop in an industrial complex.

17. I had a Muncie shipped coast-to-coast a few years ago for around $70 by Fed Ex. They would only ship to a business, not a problem. They were fussy about how it was packaged. The guy I bought it from banded it to a piece of a pallet, Fed Ex gave him a heavy cardboard box to put it in and that was banded. 3000 miles later it was fine when I unwrapped it.