Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question About Buggy Spring, Ladder Bars, & Slicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, Jun 24, 2019.

1. I'm looking at rear suspensions. Nothing looks as good as a transverse rear leaf spring. But I don't know of anyone who has ran one and don't know if it even can be or how to set it up to hook. Repop M&H 7" slicks. Fairly low gear. 4.10 ish probably, maybe deeper. Nice little 327. Any experience or advice? I'd like to be able to take it to beach bend on occasion and make a few passes. Local pd has been arseholes recently about spirited street driving.

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I use Pete & Jake's ladder bars on the "Eastwood & Barakat" 32, with a buggy spring.
    Ran 11.50's , no problem.
    I used them on Pete Chapouris' "Lime Fire" with coil overs & ran in the 10's , no problem . . .
    On my own '32 Hiboy, same deal P&J ladder bars , buggy spring
    327 & Muncie 4 speed 12.50's , no problem

Greg Stokes, Tman, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've built countless buggy spring/ladder bar suspensions on deuces, and 33/34's using P&J ladder bars with Posie buggy springs and have the same result as Pete. Never had a failure that that I know of. The combination really hooks up good. I like the ride of the ladder bar/buggy spring better than coilovers.

loudbang and lumpy 63 like this.
  4. raven

raven

I run the buggy spring and ladder bar setup on my roadster and she run a 10.62/133 last year on old 9” slicks.
    It will work.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I have P&J ladder bars on my 29 roadster with a transverse spring . Stout dual quad 327 4spd . Hammer the shit out of it , works great. Not much difference from split bones ...only stronger.

indestructableforce and loudbang like this.
  6. Buggy spring on this one hooked and ran 11.0's. Rickman outtake III.jpg

7. DAMN! Those are some good numbers. Please forgive my ignorance. I've only been around later models. Parallel leaf spring cars and coil spring cars.

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buggy spring, ladder bars and determination.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

Tman, Nailhead Jason and lumpy 63 like this.
  9. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

Part of what gets a car to hook is anti-squat and you can build a buggy spring car with as much as practically applicable..

When a car has anti-squat the rear suspension acts like wedge between the frame and the rear end.. when weight transfers it almost multiplies the force pounding the rear into the ground.. that's why a lot of drag cars will lift the entire car front and rear..

It's my theory that's why ladder bars got big in drag racing easy to set up..

How much you want to run on a street car I don't know..

10. slicks are the key, my 33 had a buggy spring, though stock trailing arms and street tires and never hooked. the tires were squawking the entire time. ran high 12's though doing that @ 110