Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Ford Coupe, traditional build project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jim Lato, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

So all my life been looking for this car. Found one complete. Down to the running boards. Wood frame complete inside yet. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All the parts to make it complete. Motor turns. Car rolls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidcampbell71, CC-Mo, Lil'Alb and 3 others like this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

AND???

Jim Lato likes this.
  3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

2500$!!!!!

4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Sold down the road

5. dwollam

dwollam

Wanted one all your life and then it immediately went sold down the road?

Dave

Woogeroo, studebaker46 and Jim Lato like this.
  6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Well thankfully I was the guy taking it down the road, so I’ll fill you guys in on the story.
    I don’t have Facebook but I use my dad’s wife’s market place for searching stuff. So I found this car that was posted up for about 6 mins. Got ahold of the guy and he said he just had too many projects around and frankly.. I thought out of all I saw he should of kept this one! So he was just listing it to see how many hits he would get on it. Listed it for 2500$ and I was the first to contact and told him right out that he had a gem and is worth much more than what he was asking. So I told him I’d pay him. Between then and now he’s had over 130 some people contact him offering him way more than what I was gonna give him like 6 grand was the max I heard. Not sure if he’s had any higher ones but he stuck to his word and let me have it for 2500. Been trying to find this car 1929-1932 for a long time and just only 10 miles away there she was! For a very reasonable price! And he’s been over to the family farm in the past and I never knew ! Small world ! The complete car is there! Very very happy and I’m very excited to start on it. I got the ford flathead v8 for it and the good motor and trans will go into my 1917 model t.
    He also had a trans for my 02 Duramax so killed two birds with one stone

7. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Sorry for the post to start out boring been planting corn and beans. Got some rain so now I can fill you guys in more.
    No paperwork for the car but I’m gonna try to track it down. If not I’m just glad I have this

Stogy likes this.
  8. Looks like a great car to start with and the price just knocked it outa the park! Have fun and include us in the process.

9. dwollam

dwollam

OK! Much better! Glad you got it! Keep us posted.

Dave

Stogy and Jim Lato like this.
  10. Congrats on your new purchase...

Jim Lato likes this.
  11. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Home!
    [​IMG]

12. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ok fellas so finally started on the coupe. Just got done planting beans. Now it’s raining again. Just started sanding and cleaning up steel. Looks like prior to 35 years ago. My neighbor bought this coupe from someone that probably had this thing apart and it looks like this panel I’m working on was laying down on the ground. Rusted pin holes in it. Since I can’t afford a huge side I am debating on chem welding these pin holes. The car is stout yet. I am having a blast seeing the years come back off this car. Just figured I’d update! [​IMG]

Stogy, dwollam and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

So day two of sanding. Sanded one side of the car and to keep from rusting I sprayed a etching primer/filler onto it. You can now see the worst of the car I have to tackle. The tank is looking good! Today @old school rodder came by and we tinkered with the 59ab I want to throw in it. He also has a killer block done up I’d like to save some dough for. But good news is that I bought a good flathead from iola car show last year. Sweet. Complete motor.
    Here are some photos of my progress. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I really like this stuff by the way[​IMG]

15. If you chopped the top a lot of those small pin holes would be gone.They repo the roof area over the doors.If the curve is the same as the rear roof you could use it as donor metal to replace the rear area.

16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Steve, thanks for your post. I been having troubles finding roof steel. I do plan on chopping about 2 inches out of it. Max. So you are definitely right on eliminating that super bad spot that is there. Or at least a good chunk of it. And from the other side I could use that scrap as a donor piece to get rid of the other bad spots if that curvature is correct like you were saying.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Sanding the passenger door down today. Also sandblasted some trim pieces for the window. But I’m happy to see such a nice door [​IMG]

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i have a left roof section and a chunk of fordor roof [no pic]... pm me.. DSCN3048.JPG

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

That side on my car is mint yet. You think it’s possible to utilize that on the other side or is it bent different

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Now I am doing research on how I want to lower the body. Debating channeling the body or Zing the frame 4” in the front and 8 in the back. Not sure if I have to stretch the frame to fit s flatheadv8 in the front. So reading a lot of articles to see where and what I need to do. I’m not looking for some mega dropped car. I may not chop the top and leave the head room I would like to have a 40-50’s traditional look to it.

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Been playing in the shop and removed the side panels from the hood. I’m truly torn now. I want to build this car. WAS gonna chop it. But now thinking that one of these cars has survived this long being unmolested would be cool as well. No reason why I can’t make this thing sick without channeling or chopping. [​IMG]

Still though my mind races day and night as I work on this thing

brEad likes this.
  22. Never2low

Never2low

23. raven

raven

I agree with your accessment that they don’t all need to be chopped and channeled. It seems to have come to the point that it takes greater thought of design to create something cool without following everybody else’s lead in doing the same old thing. I’ve got two Model A projects lined up. One to sell and one to keep. The one to sell is chopped simply for the reason that the body was already chopped. I’m keeping the one that is not chopped!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Let the A body or your body decide...
    does it need 1/2 of the subfloor of more replaced ? if yes channel...
    does it need any damage in the vertical sections of the roof and cowl fixed ? if yes chop...
    depending on your hight, short guy maybe both... tall guy maybe pic one...
    then again most channeling work won't show...
    chopping involves a bunch more metal work that will show... my $0.02...
    my '30 coupe... stepped 5" up front and 7.5" in the rear... no chop, no channel... DSCN4217.JPG

25. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I've seen some coupes with fenders that look great without a chop or channel.
    _DSF4303-M.jpg image (2).jpeg

kidcampbell71, brEad and Stogy like this.
  26. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

And I can appreciate all the other projects don’t get me wrong they are badass but I’ve always been the guy making four doors look killer and being the black sheep of the hobby. I like doing stuff you don’t see often. And with this car. What you said is exactly my goal. I’ll manipulate other aspects and make modifications that will not take away from the body or frame of the car. I see the guys posted some really amazing non chopped cars and that is exactly what I envisioned. I’m not a super tall guy or a fat ass “no offense to the fatasses out there ” but I do enjoy seeing out of my vehicle. I’m a rubber necker. And enjoy space. And yes there is pin holes on the passenger side where I would or should be chopping it out. But I can work some magic on these areas and replace steel where it’s needed. I’ll be going to iola car show next weekend and find some donor parts. No fuckin bondo is touching this car by the way lol

27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

This is what I am envisioning ! This is killer

Stogy likes this.
  28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

What’s nice is the coupe case with all its original steel which is in amazing shape. And that black rig is just mean lookin ! So many routes I can take. I’m so pumped doing this car right now. Having a blast!!

Stogy likes this.
  29. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]
    Just slowly chipping away at sanding and doing odds and ends. Picking up random pieces installing them. I gotta find the trunk lid for it. And then sand blast the interior of the cars panels. Rust proof and lizard skin all that then continue the works. Looking for some wide white walls for the rear nothing too crazy like 10 or 12” I landed some cool Steelies for the car the other day. Find some ford baby moons for them kinda similar to what I did with my 55 poncho[​IMG]

Also gotta find some glass for it

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  30. carothersbs

carothersbs